Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not a journalist, like most of them they're glorified fanzine writers who hate that their favourite club, either utd or liverpool, aren't the top club anymore.

I always urge City fans just to block or ignore them as it's attention and clicks that keeps them in a job.
Another problem is not the isolated psychopath but the ideologues in some newspapers who don't like City because of City's Emirati owner. Many journalists are people of conviction.

We all know people who will vote Tory or Labour for their life, and their whole world view is distorted by what is good for their political party. Manchester City are now at this level. Once we could be laughed at for the supporters of Manchester Utd. But now Bert has become their nightmare and for people who live in that world, we have become a fanatical object of hatred. better still if you can dress it up with all kinds of political nonsense.

Delooney now planning to go after Jack as part of his obsessive campaign against City, even taking inspiration from a bitter Irish cult fan on Twitter. Laughably, shamelessly predictable

View attachment 35094

It shows his standard of journalism when he doesn’t understand the concept of elitism or epitome.

I’m amazed that a club with no history, fans, which was founded in 2008 and has strongly been against the concept of FFP can be regarded as the epitome of elitism.

If anyone wants to listen to an informed discussion from a City perspective about the current media coverage of our club, I'd urge you to listen to the latest Friday Show of the 93:20 podcast. It's freely available now on all usual platforms so you don't have to be a 93:20 subscriber to access it.

In the episode, @Lucky Toma (who's a freelance football writer), @BillyShears (who has a background in the music and entertainment industries) and Ally Fogg (a political journalist and writer) talk through what they quite rightly call the "bullshit" in the narratives surrounding the club that are pushed by the UK sports media. They expand on the reasons for this. Of course, many of us know all about these already but which it's instructive to hear outlined rationally by people with relevant experience.

Thus, we listen to matters such as the preponderance of support for United and Liverpool among the journalists concerned, who take the opportunity to vent their disappointment at the current state of affairs in modern football by damaging City's reputation. And there's confirmation of the relentless chase for clicks in modern journalism that causes outlets to pursue the anti-City angle so popular among rival fans.

One thing that grates with me about many of these journalists is the air they assume of being cleverer than other football fans. I broadly agree with the guys' conclusion that some of our media enemies enjoy winding up City fans and the best course is not to engage them. There's a lovely and entertaining little extract where Ahsan says he's not interested in these people because they're intellectually inferior, and this absolutely struck a chord with me: there are several Blues in my close circle who are far, far smarter than any of these tedious, self-absorbed twats.

Now, to some degree I can forgive journalists for doing what they need to in order to make a living. In other words, I'm prepared to call them out here for lies, half-truths and inaccuracies, as well as for misleading statements and omissions, but I won't judge them for it. After all, in my professional life I do work for Russian state-owned companies and people might have views about that (I couldn't give a fuck, by the way, but I can't stop readers from thinking what they like about).

But I don't moralise to any critics or get on my high horse. What grates with me is when those such as the 'WhatsApp Group' try to gaslight City fans, and this is the only thing that wasn't mentioned in the podcast but that IMO is worth mentioning. It's a fairly common thing, too. I noticed an example earlier this week, when the freelance journalist John Brewin posted the following on Twitter:

Now, I'm aware of Brewin's output but literally never recall reading anything of his that I found entertaining or informative, but he seems to think he can lecture us. Note the language. It begins with him casting himself as a detached observer, above the fray and laughing at others. Then he depicts those others as rabid partisans, whose inherent bias prevents them from properly understanding the position - by implication, in contrast to him.

Yet no one with an IQ over 50 could sensibly and genuinely believe his thrust that a bit of mild piss-taking after a couple of heavy United defeats is equivalent to the coordinated and fevered press coverage that City now receive. He goes on in the thread both to portray himself as a victim, being attacked in very mild responses because he doesn't admire City, and, for good measure, to show himself broadly ignorant of the sources of United's (i.e. his own club's) financing in the early '90s.

I'll no doubt give Brewin barely any thought in the days, weeks and months to come, just as I ignored him before. To the extent that he impinges on my consciousness in a brief flash (e.g. if I have the misfortune to see him RT'd on my Twitter feed), it will be simply to recall him momentarily as a dullard and a ****. But I thought it worth highlighting him here as a textbook purveyor of the bad-faith, gaslighting bullshit our detractors habitually resort to.

Brewin is such a try hard it makes me laugh. They really are a gaggle of inadequate bellends. Hard not to look down on them when there's such a paucity of genuinely insightful writing or reporting. Just a lot of glorified fanzine prose. Thank you for the kind words about the pod!

They'd still write about us and they'd say that we were afraid of criticism and trying to impose a mini Abu Dhabi in Manchester.
Who cares?

I would rather the club didn't feed this **** nibbles whiles he slags us off at every opportunity, ban 1 or better still ban all the ones who tell massive porkies and then see how the others start writing articles.

What would be wrong with a mini Abu Dhabi in Manchester?

It shows his standard of journalism when he doesn’t understand the concept of elitism or epitome.

I’m amazed that a club with no history, fans, which was founded in 2008 and has strongly been against the concept of FFP can be regarded as the epitome of elitism.
Especially when they keep telling us they are “European royalty” and were founder members of the organised crime cartel that is the G14, as well as the prime movers behind the ESL. With their placemen/Trojan horses like Parry ensconced in UEFA when they wanted City hobbled, and conveniently then at the EFL just when they were trying to force through their odious ‘Project Big Picture’.
Not to mention the plethora of supporters and former players who have dominated the media discourse for decades, even as their on field relevance declined.
Now that’s what I call elitism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.