Metrolink to / from Etihad

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but the transport doesn’t work for anyone, whether they’re new / legacy fans.

I can understand why the club has to pretend that it does work in general terms given the need to secure planning permissions etc, but the problems seem to be more operational in nature and there comes a point where something needs to be done about it.
Exactly the transport doesn’t work (for anyone) so a club that gave a shit would say something

I know. There seems to be points to allow trams to switch track in one direction between the Gardens and Piccadilly but no idea why they’re there or if usable. They’d probably have to add another set to make it work.
Good question - there may be issues of pedestrians at Portland Street not expecting trams on the wrong line.

I wrote to TfGM about the overcrowding asking what would happen if there were a crash involving an overcrowded tram.
The reply I received was just a load of nonsense, more or less saying that the officials managing the trams at the Etihad stop knew how many and would not let them get too overcrowded! I had written when I got home from a night match where I had watched said officials pushing people onto the trams holding them there whilst they leaned over and pressed the close/open door button. Obviously as soon as the tram started those folk would be squashed against the doors.

One time I saw people get back off because they felt it was too full and the officials were telling them to get back on there was plenty of room. When I go on the tram I sit on the little bench things until an Eccles tram comes along with room to sit on it. I’m allowed down in the lift as a registered disabled old biddy!! ;-)
I like observing people. Some folk call it nosiness I call it observing behaviour. ;-)

I wrote to TfGM about the overcrowding asking what would happen if there were a crash involving an overcrowded tram.
The reply I received was just a load of nonsense, more or less saying that the officials managing the trams at the Etihad stop knew how many and would not let them get too overcrowded! I had written when I got home from a night match where I had watched said officials pushing people onto the trams holding them there whilst they leaned over and pressed the close/open door button. Obviously as soon as the tram started those folk would be squashed against the doors.

One time I saw people get back off because they felt it was too full and the officials were telling them to get back on there was plenty of room. When I go on the tram I sit on the little bench things until an Eccles tram comes along with room to sit on it. I’m allowed down in the lift as a registered disabled old biddy!! ;-)
I like observing people. Some folk call it nosiness I call it observing behaviour. ;-)
The situation with the trams in town on match nights is clearly dangerous which is why I don't use them. When I did use them occasionally I was very unimpressed by the capability of the so-called stewards. It is a shambles and it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or worse. When it happens we will get all the usual hand-wringing from people like Andy Burnham. The problem is worse getting to the stadium. I think the stewards do a decent job after the match.

The situation with the trams in town on match nights is clearly dangerous which is why I don't use them. When I did use them occasionally I was very unimpressed by the capability of the so-called stewards. It is a shambles and it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or worse. When it happens we will get all the usual hand-wringing from people like Andy Burnham. The problem is worse getting to the stadium. I think the stewards do a decent job after the match.

What can they do though? It’s ok at Piccadilly station where they can keep people in a queue away from the platform until they let them through.

But at most stops they’re not set up for that. It’s got to be self policing really. And no one wants to be the one left on the platform because they can’t quite squeeze on.

What can they do though? It’s ok at Piccadilly station where they can keep people in a queue away from the platform until they let them through.

But at most stops they’re not set up for that. It’s got to be self policing really. And no one wants to be the one left on the platform because they can’t quite squeeze on.
They will have to provide more stewards at Pic Gardens, Cornbrook, Peter Square for starters. Some of the trams should be express trams stopping at limited stations which are controlled. The situation at United matches is much better. They obviously have more tram lines and stations to play with. I always get the tram when we play at Old Trafford and it is much easier going from Peter Square or Deansgate.
We also need more shuttle buses to take the pressure off the metro like they do in German cities. The routes away from the stadium should be rapid bus lanes with no other traffic for a couple of hours. We get about three buses with people still paying cash. The buses, cars, and trams all fighting for the same space. Totally absurd. The UK has the least integrated transport systems in Europe. Burnham was brought in to sort this shambles out and provide a strategy. It has got worse. And it's not just about money. It is sheer incompetence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.