Middle East Conflict

Just on that last sentence, are there not more Palestinian’s now alive than at any other point in their history? (Well before this latest round of Israeli air strikes)

If so, then is it correct to say they’ve been ethnically cleansed?

Ethnic cleansing isn't about numbers is it? It's about forcing a group out so that a region becomes ethnically homogenous?

Who has eluded to the fact all Palestinians are barbaric ? Hammas are barbaric , they don't even care about the civilians they govern

But the response to actions of Hamas at the moment appears to have been to collectively punish an entire group of people. Many of whom do not support Hamas (whose support hasn't been tested in an election since 2006).

My point is, if somebody within the Israeli administration or military has invented a story about babies being beheaded then it's important to ask why they done that. And this applies to any of the horrendous stories that are emerging from both sides of the divide. This is such a terrifying and heartbreaking state of affairs with huge far reaching consequences. We all really need to view everything we're being told through a massively critical lens.

Solution???

Do you think British bombs didn’t kill German children? Are you agnostic on WWII or was Churchill just as big of a **** as Hitler? What are your feelings on the children of Coventry???
Solution is to not cut off food, water and aid to civilians as per the Geneva Convention with it being a war crime.

Build as many strawmen as you want, I’m not dignifying such idiocy with a rebuttal, suffice to say I’ve forgotten more about WW2 than you’ll ever know.

We can argue the rights and wrongs of the origins of the conflict in the middle east and it will get us nowhere. The desire of Jews for a homeland that will provide security is still some way from realisation: the bitter resentment of Palestinians at what they believe is an unjustifiable exclusion from their homeland is clear to all. But events appear determined to make problems worse rather than better. Hamas is not a body intent on find ing a solution which helps foster harmony in the region. Its actions since Saturday morning are precisely those of a terrorist organisation bent on inflaming hatred and terrorising Israelis. According to latest figures 1200 at least are dead as a result of Hamas's actions. Hamas cannot be surprised by Israel's response. It may be argued that Israel's government is hard line and right wing and extreme and that their actions are not proportionate or moderate and victimise the innocent. This may or may not be true but the argument is irrelevant. The Israeli response was never going to be inspired by principles of moderation and proportionality. Israel has some very clear objectives, the first of which is security. The breaching of Israel's borders must have been a traumatic blow and there will be searching questions asked of Israeli intelligences, but at the moment the aim will be to evict Hamas terrorists from Israel and then to ensure they are incapable of such incursions for a very long time, if ever. A second clear objective is to secure the release of those taken as hostages. It seems unlikely this can be achieved through negotiation so as yet it is hard to see how they can be helped. What is clear is that the cause of a settlement in the region is more unrealistic than ever, but, as long as Hamas (and Iran?) don't want one, and elements in Israel are unsure, the region will remain the prey of atrocity and retaliation.

And yet, they are still there, and even quoted in Hamas charters.
BTW, I can't in all honesty take ED Husain (former Islamist, and now money maker off the back of it seriously)

Oh yes, the Hamas charter calls for the destruction of of Israel, doesn't it?

As for Husain, I have The Islamist and his most recent publication Among the Mosques. But I haven't got around to either of them yet.

Nevertheless, I still think it is worth getting behind prominent Muslims like Husain, Ziauddin Sardar, Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, Sara Khan and Shiraz Maher, who have set themselves against the Salafi-jihadists, the Iranian theocracy, the Taliban and other extremists, for the simple reason that some of them have been saying that they are up against it, as they are contending with the Saudis, who have been using their oil wealth to spread the Wahhabi message of intolerance here, there and everywhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.