Mike Summerbee.....

In March of this year I had the pleasure of sitting next to him at a charity event. Not only is he one of my childhood heros, he is also a true gent, and if he was a stick of Blackpool rock, if you chopped him in half he would have Manchester City all the way through. He was the guest speaker, he was articulate, funny and believe it or not he drank nothing but bottled water all through the event. All in all I can't sing his praises high enough, and I think he's a tremendous ambassador of our club!

The day he's not commentating on a match City's involved in, I'll demand impartiality. I have no problems with rags commentating on rag matches and I have no problem with a Citizen and a rag on a derby match panel being biased. It's when rags and Citizens are biased on matches that involve neither team that it's an issue.

He's funny, I think people just don't get his dry sense of humour. And he definitely winds people up on purpose. His fellow guests never show much respect towards City. He's not going to beg for it or criticise people, that would be dire to watch. He just says whatever he likes, with a bit of edge. I think it's perfect, it's good telly, and he presents the club as unabashed and confident, "we're not here to be a hard-luck story, ask others for permission, or seek their approval, we don't care what you think or what you say, we know what we are going to do, doubt as much as you like because you're only going to make fools out of yourselves..."

Mikes just a typical blue at hart and soul sticking him in the SKY pundit seat would be like getting one of us out there...... It's just going to be a one sided affair, City are the best and no-one can better them....

To be honest I think SKY are taking the piss out of him when they invite him on because they know fully well he's going to be one sided praising City and making it blatantly obvious in the process.....

Fuck it though I love him and it's about time someone hyped up City on SKY instead of repeating this "they've still to prove...." bollocks, we've fuckin' proved what we can do...

Fanny Fart said:
i8rags said:
great blue, shite pundit, far too biased and comes across grumpy and almost pissed up.

Agree
That's why they invite him on, they know exactly what they are going to get - wouldn't you sound grumpy if you'd put up with all the shit over the years?

The truth is, he always comes across like that but you know he's got something cooking inside, like a pressure cooker about to explode.<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:29 pm --<br /><br />
Chick Counterfly said:
"we're not here to be a hard-luck story, ask others for permission, or seek their approval, we don't care what you think or what you say, we know what we are going to do, doubt as much as you like because you're only going to make fools out of yourselves..."
Brilliant.

Mike's ace!

He doesn't make any bones about where his allegiance lies. Besides he's hardly gonna pretend to be neutral, he wears the club's tie FFS.

What you see is what you get with mike. Unlike the other snakes on there who claim to be impartial.

i love the guy, and was really happy with his comments at the 2 1 derby. but i found him uncomfortable listening last night

Chick Counterfly said:
He's funny, I think people just don't get his dry sense of humour. And he definitely winds people up on purpose. His fellow guests never show much respect towards City. He's not going to beg for it or criticise people, that would be dire to watch. He just says whatever he likes, with a bit of edge. I think it's perfect, it's good telly, and he presents the club as unabashed and confident, "we're not here to be a hard-luck story, ask others for permission, or seek their approval, we don't care what you think or what you say, we know what we are going to do, doubt as much as you like because you're only going to make fools out of yourselves..."
Agree 100%, he/ weve had/ have pundits totally negative view of us, he takes the piss and winds them up. payback time well done Summers.

i8rags said:
great blue, shite pundit, far too biased and comes across grumpy and almost pissed up.

^^
Sky partly to blame for this...sometimes can't seem to make up their mind whether they want serious punditry / analysis (gary neville style) or a former player's version of "fanzone" with Buzzer + John Richards exchanging banter.

We need a (more recent) former City player to project the club in a slightly less biased way than Mike does...and with a little more analysis of what was actually happening on the pitch.

There are a couple of co-commentators with City links (Hinchcliffe / Royle) and Lee Dixon is a city fan on MOTD2...but otherwise I see this:

MOTD: Hansen (ex-Liverpool) Lawrenson (ex-Liverpool) Shearer (ex-Newcastle)
Sky: Redknapp (ex liverpool + spurs) Neville (ex United)
Sky (for Champs league): Yorke (ex United) Souness (ex Liverpool) Hoddle (ex spurs)
Co-commentators: Smith (ex-Arsenal) / Ray "my word" Wilkins (ex Chelsea + Utd).
Soccer Saturday: Merson + Nicholas (ex Arsenal) Thomson (ex Liverpool) Le tissier (southampton).

It's as though the broadcasters are living in a time-warp where Liverpool (or Arsenal) are carving up the PL every year and we need the insights of former Liverpool greats to explain to us all how they are doing it.

ESPN (with Keegan + RM's mate Robbie Savage) is the only place where we seem to get a fair representation of pro-City views.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.