Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
macmanson said:
okstate99 said:
Overreaction alert!!!

I don't rate Milner at all and have been consistent in my views on that. I wouldn't pay a single cent for him. Some like him but for me, he offers the team fuck all. He's a an average grafter who scored most of his goals against teams in the bottom 5 positions of the league. He will do fuck all to help our team push on for a title push as he's nowhere near a top 4 club player. Dozens of other midfielders I'd prefer over him and would come at a far cheaper prize.

Given that we dropped points against 4 of the bottom 5 last season, perhaps that's not such a bad thing.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to value Stevie on the 08/09 season, if this deal was being done last summer it probably would have been pretty much a straight swap.

As it stands imo a fair price for Ireland would be 10/12mil.

Milner cost Villa 12mil when they bought him a couple of years ago and he has improved since then, in which case I think he is worth about 18/20mil - this though is without the "City tax" added on which would make him a 22/24mil player.

So, imo, the correct deal would be Ireland + 12mil for Milner.

The massive advantage with Milner is his versatility and consistency, I think he will prove to be an exceptional buy for us and certainly won't end up in the Lescott category of poor overpriced buys.

Rammy said:
Unfortunately it isn't possible to value Stevie on the 08/09 season, if this deal was being done last summer it probably would have been pretty much a straight swap.

As it stands imo a fair price for Ireland would be 10/12mil.

Milner cost Villa 12mil when they bought him a couple of years ago and he has improved since then, in which case I think he is worth about 18/20mil - this though is without the "City tax" added on which would make him a 22/24mil player.

So, imo, the correct deal would be Ireland + 12mil for Milner.

The massive advantage with Milner is his versatility and consistency, I think he will prove to be an exceptional buy for us and certainly won't end up in the Lescott category of poor overpriced buys.

I agree totally with this poster, you can only value a player on their most recent season, and as much as we all enjoyed seeing Ireland hitting his potential season before last, his form last season (be it down to position change to accomadate others, the loss of his link up partner Robbie, or simply he returned to more his natural level) doesn't warrant him being valued at the same level of Milner at the moment.

Yes, we are obviously overpaying for him, but then we tend to overpay for every player we go for (possible exceptions of YaYa and Silva IMO) but I don't think he will suffer the same injury problems as other buys we have seen so far.

Jonnos left peg said:
Ireland and Milner are similar players with one difference..consistency.

are they heck similar; Stevie Ireland does not track back like Milner, tackle like Milner, and does not have the positional adaptability of Milner and cannot cross like Mlner; Stevie might pick a pass slightly better than Milner. To say they are similar players suggests you have not seen much of Milner in my opinion

Prediction - in 6 months time people will be quoting posts that say Ireland>Milner and "Milner is worth 10m tops!" and laughing at the posters, then the posters get all upset at their flawed football knowledge being exposed and atart going on about stiring etc

Overpaying for Milner - yep
Ireland as good as Milner - laughable

Anyway, welcome Mr Milner, I have a feeling how you play this year will dicate our whole season so good luck

macmanson said:
okstate99 said:
Overreaction alert!!!

I don't rate Milner at all and have been consistent in my views on that. I wouldn't pay a single cent for him. Some like him but for me, he offers the team fuck all. He's a an average grafter who scored most of his goals against teams in the bottom 5 positions of the league. He will do fuck all to help our team push on for a title push as he's nowhere near a top 4 club player. Dozens of other midfielders I'd prefer over him and would come at a far cheaper prize.

Care to name any that we could afford and who wants to come ??
At the moment money is NOT an object so why are we slating off that Milner is NOT worth this,that or the other ?
He`s worth what the manager thinks.

alera said:
I would be amazed if De Jong doesnt start most games with Yaya in the centre. I think this will be the starting 11 against Spuds :

----------------------------GIVEN----------------------

BOATENG---------KOMPANY-------K.TOURE------KOLAROV

-----------YAYA TOURE----------------DE JONG----------

MILNER-------------------------------------DAVID SILVA

---------------------------TEVEZ------------------------

-------------------------ADEBAYOR-----------------------

Subs : Fuck knows it looks like we want to get rid of our best cover, Ireland, Bellamy etc.

Sabster is a rag he says Tevez is shit, and Ibra is the best forward in the world.

yep I see this team as being the regular one too, although maybe more of a 4-3-2-1 with Silva and Tevez pushed on to play off and support Ade; I also agree Kolo will be played before Lescott as no way would the Yaya thing happen and then his big brother be dropped; hate to say it but Milner would give us so much more than Stevie Ireland, with the 3 advanced players we need energy and strength in abundance in the other 3 midfield players, with the full backs helping to support and provide extra width, in my opinion Milner gives us the strength and energy that Stevie does not - a midfield 3 that contains Stevie is probably going to get battered in at least 50% of our games

-- Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:55 am --

skillman said:
Love how everyone is leaving out Adam Johnson.

he will be a very important squad player in my opinion and we will need rotation, have injuries etc

Alera, agree mostly with your team ,but can see Hart as the keeper and not sure about De Jong.
On the Milner issue i think he will be a cracking signing at least the guy tracks back and is a good hard working box to box player .

Villa fan here ! Milner played in midfield from November last year and had a very good 6 months but when he came up against the real top centre midfield players like Lampard / Gerrard to a degree and Fabregas he was blown away . Villa supporters prior to that even the season before were questioning the money we paid for him as he was nothing special as a wide man . Has great stamina and you will love his work rate also scored some good goals and gave us something from midfield we haven't had for a while . However he was the penalty taker so his number of goals gets a bit miscontrued . He is definately not the best wide player infact Young and your Johnson are far better . He lacks genuine pace to get round people . The kid has played an awful lot of football in them legs and trust me that is a consideration . I think you will get consistent player who will enable you to close games out but he is hardly a world beating midfield player based on 6 months in centre midfield . Managers dream as he will play anywhere and play when he is injured or isn't fit where others wouldn't ! As for the deal if it was anybody other than you he is worth 20 mill at the very tops and thats generous . I still think though he will do you a decent job but he is not as good a footballer as say Barry was in most Villa fans opinions . There was far more disappointment in Barry going than there will be over Milner but the bigger issue is that we simply cannot compete anymore with yourselves . Ireland has all the makings of a decent player and I have been impressed with him and hopefully ONeil can tame him and get him back to the form he showed 2 seasons ago .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.