Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: city make milner bid (SSN)

Damocles said:
Haha, all these people saying "Well, I wouldn't pay any more than £20m for Milner!!". Yeah, because it's YOUR money that they are using to pay for him, and paying an extra £5m will hugely effect our ticket prices and ability to spend long term!

It doesn't matter if we pay £100m for him. Some people don't seem to understand the whole 'money no object' thing.

so you think it would be a good idea to give villa £100 million to spend in the transfer market? just because our owners have money doesnt mean they want to give it away

To be fair to Aston Villa, if I were them, I would be demanding more than £30m.

mancityscot said:
Taylor said:
I think we are only getting Milner if he expresses a desire to join us
I think you'll find that will probably happen

Yep. He's on England duty with 4 of our boys. We'd have sounded him out prior to making this first offer - that's the way things work. Oh, unless you're Moyes.

Project said:
mancityscot said:
I think you'll find that will probably happen

Yep. He's on England duty with 4 of our boys. We'd have sounded him out prior to making this first offer - that's the way things work. Oh, unless you're Moyes.

Acually that is perhaps a little hopeful. Milner made it known that at Villa (he was with us on loan for a year) he had good friends from the under 21s, Gabby, Ashley et al are all good friends with Jimmy. He did not moan or throw his toys out of the pram when Newcastle pulled the plug on his desired move to the Villa. He got his head down and got on with it.

That in mind both MON and Randy do not want to sell. You have the money to change that, and despite what he is worth compared to Villa or any other recent transfer, we want to keep him, you want to buy him, so it will take a huge bid to get him. And, while I agree the millions involved are crazy, it will take far more than 20 million. If it is 20m then you will have to offer players too.

Sorry if this has already been posted:

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8693557.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 693557.stm</a>

Aston Villa reject Man City's £20m for James Milner
By John Sinnott

James Milner
Milner has scored 11 goals for Villa from midfield this season

Aston Villa have turned down Manchester City's £20m bid for their England international James Milner.

"We have received an offer from Manchester City for James Milner and this has been firmly rejected," said a Villa spokesman late on Wednesday.

"We plan to sit down with James and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new long-term deal and this remains our position."

The 24-year-old midfielder was recently named PFA Young Player of the Year.

Leeds-born Milner, who joined Villa from Newcastle for £12m in 2008, is halfway through a four-year deal.

Villa owner Randy Lerner said last week the club will do "everything" in their power to ensure Milner stays.

Premier League and FA Cup Double winners Chelsea and Manchester United have also been linked with Milner, though United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has talked of this summer's transfer market as being "very difficult".

Villa have secured Europa Cup football for next season having finished runners-up to Manchester United in the Carling Cup final and will not want to lose another influential midfielder to City following the departure of Gareth Barry for £12m last season.

City, funded by the deep pockets of Abu Dhabi-based owner Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, are close to signing Germany international defender Jerome Boateng from Hamburg for £11m.

More signings are expected this summer as City push for a coveted Champions League spot having just missed out to Tottenham this season.

Milner has been in a rich vein of form this season, helping Villa finish sixth in the Premier League and reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup, since O'Neill switched him from wide midfield to a more central position.

He has also become a regular in the England squad under Fabio Capello, and is widely tipped to be part of the 23-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa.

If City, who will also play in the Europa League next season, do sign Milner it will then boost their contingent of "homegrown" footballers as required by new Premier League rules.

At the end of the August transfer window Premier League clubs are required to include eight homegrown footballers in a 25-man squad.

villa have rejected the bid..i know if they start to take the piss and try and get more money from us city should walk away like they did with eto.

I correctly pointed out "Milner is a t**t"...because he plays for Villa.

Very good player but if they want £30m, they can go **** themselves!!!

However it is good to see the strategy of a sort of 3 way attack of hitting the market, Marwood knows the English market (to an extent); Cooke chooses what the fans want (more or less); an Mancini knows the rest of the world (mostly Italy).

Obviously the signing of AJ was not Mancini, Viera probably was, a mix of old and young, British and continental, etc. seems to be the key to how the transfer policy will go, don't be suprised if it is a 50/50 split between English/English league players and continental European players.

the seed has been planted now, his mind will be working overtime.
i agree though, if Villa want to try and be extortionate, then just walk away and sign someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.