Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Milner Will Cost 30 million

Sabster said:
Just for the record 16m for Bellamy was not good business.

Never saw it reported as £16m? Wasn't the fee undisclosed, but widely reported as being between £12m & £14m?

Either way. I'm not a Bellamy fan on the whole, but my point was he turned out to be much better value than anyone anticipated. And we'll probably be able to squeeze £7m-£9m out of someone to move him on to, so...

Definitely not a defender of Hughes' kid in a sweetshop transfer policy, but that was one of his better efforts lol. Certainly not on the same planet of ridiculousness as Crocky, Lescott and de Jong's fees.

SalfordCityBlue said:
Sabster said:
Just for the record 16m for Bellamy was not good business.

Never saw it reported as £16m? Wasn't the fee undisclosed, but widely reported as being between £12m & £14m?

Either way. I'm not a Bellamy fan on the whole, but my point was he turned out to be much better value than anyone anticipated. And we'll probably be able to squeeze £7m-£9m out of someone to move him on to, so...

Definitely not a defender of Hughes' kid in a sweetshop transfer policy, but that was one of his better efforts lol. Certainly not on the same planet of ridiculousness as Crocky, Lescott and de Jong's fees.

30 mil for Milner is right up there with the RSC, Lescott and De jong fees imo. Don't rate the kid and fail to see why we're even considering him when the likes of Joe Cole, Silva, Martinez, Gerrard and Van Der Vaart could be up for grabs.

hgblue said:
30 mil for Milner is right up there with the RSC, Lescott and De jong fees imo. Don't rate the kid and fail to see why we're even considering him when the likes of Joe Cole, Silva, Martinez, Gerrard and Van Der Vaart could be up for grabs.

As I said, I don't think Milner is worth £30m. And I don't think we'll pay that for him. Maybe £20m plus a player or two at the most.

However, in the same way you don't rate Milner I really don't rate Joe Cole, and we have already tried for Gerrard it seems and got nowhere fast. We have to bear in mind the new rules on homegrown players remember.

I really really hope we sign Silva, Martinez or Van der Vaart in addition to Milner and Toure personally. And possibly two of them. Silva could replace Bellers out wide but I still feel we would be lacking an out and out creative option in the middle, especially if Ireland carries on the way he has (or leaves) - Van der Vaart would be my choice for that role.

SalfordCityBlue said:
hgblue said:

As I said, I don't think Milner is worth £30m. And I don't think we'll pay that for him. Maybe £20m plus a player or two at the most.

However, in the same way you don't rate Milner I really don't rate Joe Cole, and we have already tried for Gerrard it seems and got nowhere fast. We have to bear in mind the new rules on homegrown players remember.

I really really hope we sign Silva, Martinez or Van der Vaart in addition to Milner and Toure personally. And possibly two of them. Silva could replace Bellers out wide but I still feel we would be lacking an out and out creative option in the middle, especially if Ireland carries on the way he has (or leaves) - Van der Vaart would be my choice for that role.

I'm really surprised you don't rate Joe Cole as I've noticed we tend to hold similar views on players (we both rate Robinho very highly and Bellamy not so highly for example). Joe Cole is a great player who Chelsea are desperate to keep and seemingly has a choice of City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, etc. I'd be willing to bet that Joe Cole has a much larger impact at the World Cup than James Milner. In fact, I'd be surprised if Milner is anything more than a bit-part player.

hgblue said:
I'm really surprised you don't rate Joe Cole as I've noticed we tend to hold similar views on players (we both rate Robinho very highly and Bellamy not so highly for example). Joe Cole is a great player who Chelsea are desperate to keep and seemingly has a choice of City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, etc. I'd be willing to bet that Joe Cole has a much larger impact at the World Cup than James Milner. In fact, I'd be surprised if Milner is anything more than a bit-part player.

You're right when you say Joe Cole is exactly the type of player I would usually rate, for me though he has always been a disappointment - he's never shown enough desire to make the most of his obvious ability, seemingly happy enough to play a bit part role from the bench rather than force the issue. I suppose that's happened to quite a few when they've made the decision to go to Chelsea though... People say Robinho's attitude is wrong, but as far as I can see, he just wants to play football, which is all you can ask really. Same reason I am happy for Ireland to leave - he should be unhappy with not starting.

Five years ago I would have been keen for Cole to come to City, now I worry he has grown fat and lazy (figuratively speaking) while suckling on the success flowing from Roman's teet. I think we need players who are hungry for success, or at least to test themselves in a new league - Cole has experienced everything we have to offer already, albeit mostly from the sidelines!

(And I must stress, I am not talking about desire as meaning running around like a headless chicken 'putting a shift in' type of desire...)

Would agree I don't expect Milner to have a huge impact at this World Cup, but I think he might in four years time. That said, I don't expect Cole to have much of a say either personally!<br /><br />-- Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:05 am --<br /><br />Actually, that may be a little harsh on Cole, especially considering his injuries have restricted his appearances in recent years...

Maybe I need to rethink this ;-)

I would rather we pay 25m for Milner (and not a penny more) rather than offering Superman, Micah or Nedum in part exchange. These players can still serve the club well. Don't forget we may have to play over 60 competitive games next season and won't want our star players (eg.Tevez) starting more than 40 or they will be knackered before we reach the all important run-in at the end of the season.

well i think that were just gonna offer 25 mill anyway

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-city-refuse-pay-over-odds-villa-midfielder-milner-887261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-city- ... ner-887261</a>

cityboy1 said:
I would rather we pay 25m for Milner (and not a penny more) rather than offering Superman, Micah or Nedum in part exchange. These players can still serve the club well. Don't forget we may have to play over 60 competitive games next season and won't want our star players (eg.Tevez) starting more than 40 or they will be knackered before we reach the all important run-in at the end of the season.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-city-refuse-pay-over-odds-villa-midfielder-milner-887261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-city- ... ner-887261</a>
Milner can play anywhere. Always a sign of a very good footballer (Phil Neville excepted) and he's god power, stamina and a lot of technical ability that he doesn't get the credit for. Gets goals. And he wouldn't need replacing in 2-3 years. City have to think of their expenditure in a couple of seasons

Marvin said:
cityboy1 said:

Milner can play anywhere. Always a sign of a very good footballer (Phil Neville excepted) and he's god power, stamina and a lot of technical ability that he doesn't get the credit for. Gets goals. And he wouldn't need replacing in 2-3 years. City have to think of their expenditure in a couple of seasons

he is the special one quick get him!

Marvin said:
cityboy1 said:

He doesn't really get goals - most of his goals this year came from penlties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.