Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Milner Will Cost 30 million

SalfordCityBlue said:
hgblue said:
I'm really surprised you don't rate Joe Cole as I've noticed we tend to hold similar views on players (we both rate Robinho very highly and Bellamy not so highly for example). Joe Cole is a great player who Chelsea are desperate to keep and seemingly has a choice of City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, etc. I'd be willing to bet that Joe Cole has a much larger impact at the World Cup than James Milner. In fact, I'd be surprised if Milner is anything more than a bit-part player.

You're right when you say Joe Cole is exactly the type of player I would usually rate, for me though he has always been a disappointment - he's never shown enough desire to make the most of his obvious ability, seemingly happy enough to play a bit part role from the bench rather than force the issue. I suppose that's happened to quite a few when they've made the decision to go to Chelsea though... People say Robinho's attitude is wrong, but as far as I can see, he just wants to play football, which is all you can ask really. Same reason I am happy for Ireland to leave - he should be unhappy with not starting.

Five years ago I would have been keen for Cole to come to City, now I worry he has grown fat and lazy (figuratively speaking) while suckling on the success flowing from Roman's teet. I think we need players who are hungry for success, or at least to test themselves in a new league - Cole has experienced everything we have to offer already, albeit mostly from the sidelines!

(And I must stress, I am not talking about desire as meaning running around like a headless chicken 'putting a shift in' type of desire...)

Would agree I don't expect Milner to have a huge impact at this World Cup, but I think he might in four years time. That said, I don't expect Cole to have much of a say either personally!

-- Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:05 am --

Actually, that may be a little harsh on Cole, especially considering his injuries have restricted his appearances in recent years...

Maybe I need to rethink this ;-)
Ah, you see I agreed with your first point about Cole. Can't put my finger on it, but I think he is happy with his lot. He's a millionaire, and I believe he has no hunger for the game any more, he just doesn't seem to have the desire that others have. Yes, he might run around like a headless chicken, which some fans seem to interpret as desire, but I don't agree. By this stage of his career he should be using his God given talents to run games, but he doesn't. Yes, he's had injuries, but so have a lot of other players. He doesn't seem to come back with any indication that he's still got his heart in it. Maybe, just maybe, he needs to move away from London and get some hunger back for the game?

Sabster said:
Marvin said:
Milner can play anywhere. Always a sign of a very good footballer (Phil Neville excepted) and he's god power, stamina and a lot of technical ability that he doesn't get the credit for. Gets goals. And he wouldn't need replacing in 2-3 years. City have to think of their expenditure in a couple of seasons

He doesn't really get goals - most of his goals this year came from penlties.
Don't know the stats, but he's got a good shot on him. Great striker of a ball. He's not got the knack of arriving late in the box, but he's a young player who comes on a ton every season. Players develop at his age. Alternatives - like Gerrard - who aren't realistic in my book - deteriorate (and he's already at a lower level)

£12 - £14 million more than he is actually worth.

Dont get me wrong I would love him at city as hes a promising young english player but not at any price I would have hoped we learned that from tHe Lescott saga.

Yes if does matter what we pay as it ever pushes up the prices we have to pay for all players and wages and regardless of our owners wealth its simply not sustainable.

£20 - £22 million I can just about accept as the city price but no more and no stupid deals giving away out best young players like Ireland, Richards as part of.

Much rather we signed players from abroad tbh rather than giving daft money to sides we are competing with for average players.

We seem to have plenty of luck in the German league, prices are lower the players seem to be better, the clubs more professional and easier to deal with.

Real have plenty of quality they want to move on as well. Forget the prem there are richer pickings in Europe IMO.

alera said:
£12 - £14 million more than he is actually worth.

Dont get me wrong I would love him at city as hes a promising young english player but not at any price I would have hoped we learned that from tHe Lescott saga.

Yes if does matter what we pay as it ever pushes up the prices we have to pay for all players and wages and regardless of our owners wealth its simply not sustainable.

£20 - £22 million I can just about accept as the city price but no more and no stupid deals giving away out best young players like Ireland, Richards as part of.

Much rather we signed players from abroad tbh rather than giving daft money to sides we are competing with for average players.

We seem to have plenty of luck in the German league, prices are lower the players seem to be better, the clubs more professional and easier to deal with.

Real have plenty of quality they want to move on as well. Forget the prem there are richer pickings in Europe IMO.
What is there to learn from the Lescott saga?

UEFA's regulations impact on what we do, even if you don't like them.

We learned that if you pay £24 million for a player that is worth £16 million it massively inflates the market making it impossible to sign anyone in england.

Plus it heaps so much pressure on the player they struggle to perform at their previous levels.

We all know about the regulations but we have a reasonable home contigent at the moment due to our academy. Unless we give away our best academy players for nothing that is.

Milner

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/06/06/1961624/manchester-city-will-test-aston-villas-resolve-to-keep-james" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rum ... keep-james</a>

Manchester City will test Aston Villa's resolve to keep James Milner with a final £25 million bid - report
6 Jun 2010 16:12:00

Manchester City will make a final £25 million take it or leave it bid for Aston Villa midfield star James Milner, according to the Sunday Mirror.

The mega-money Citizens had a £20m bid for the 24-year-old rejected last month, and the newspaper claims they will test the west Midland side's resolve again when the World Cup finishes in July.

Milner is currently in South Africa with the England squad and is hoping to feature in the Three Lions' opener against the USA on June 12.

City boss Roberto Mancini is keen to add the versatile midfielder to his squad for next season, as the Italian builds a team capable of challenging for the Premier League title.

However, City’s football ­administrator Brian ­Marwood apparently does not want to pay over-the-odds for the former Leeds United and Newcastle United playmaker.

"It’s been a frustrating time, but the owner, chairman and chief executive are adamant that they will not pay over-inflated prices," a Manchester City insider told the paper.
“The fact we aren’t in the Champions League has had a huge affect on plans, but so too has the determination to get ­good value.”

City bolstered their squad with the £11m signing of defender Jerome Boateng from Hamburg on Saturday and plenty more new faces are expected to grace Eastlands before the new campaign gets under way in August.

Re: Milner

25 mil is too much but I expect we'd keep Milner for years unless our finances went belly up, as he wouldn't be in a hurry to switch clubs I don't think. But really, for that price can we get better on the continent? It is a lot to pay.

No guarentee we will keep anyone for years when we are at the top, New stars emerge every season and the clubs at the top attract the players at the top in all positions. We will become a more attractive proposition for players wanting to come to us year on year so for anyone to stay a long time will be down to them remaining one of the top players in their position. If Milner has the mentality and ability to make himself irreplaceable then his as with all our squads future will be bright. Its that mentality we need in the players we sign.

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief said:
No guarentee we will keep anyone for years when we are at the top, New stars emerge every season and the clubs at the top attract the players at the top in all positions. We will become a more attractive proposition for players wanting to come to us year on year so for anyone to stay a long time will be down to them remaining one of the top players in their position. If Milner has the mentality and ability to make himself irreplaceable then his as with all our squads future will be bright. Its that mentality we need in the players we sign.

I understand what your saying but i'd love us to get milner as i think he'd stay for a number of years a create a real bond with the fans like lampard has done at chelsea.

Sleeping_Easy said:
Nixon_The_Bike_Thief said:

I understand what your saying but i'd love us to get milner as i think he'd stay for a number of years a create a real bond with the fans like lampard has done at chelsea.

Dont get me wrong, I think Milner would be a very good signing and has the potential to be a mainstay of the team if he fulfills, he also fits with the Homegrown ruling as things change.
I think what I was trying to say is that I would expect any player coming to us to know that we are serious about where we are going and that to remain part of that they need to believe that they are or can be amongst the best in there position for the foreseeable future. An example of someone who gets mentioned often that I would not like to see come would be Ronaldinho as he is a player in decline that knows he would only be coming short term as players of better quality and ability will replace him within 2 seasons.

Hey but If I got everything right Id be a Football manager and not a Service Delivery Manager ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.