Nastasic

I've been raving about this lad since the start of the season, along with many of you. Can't believe (OK I can) why the media haven't been raving about him, especially the Red Dippers CB union on BBC 1. To have a player so assured in possession and so willing to mix it with the likes of Benteke, AT THE AGE OF 19 FFS, is incredible. Surely one of the best young prospects in world football, and he's all ours!!

EddieR said:
I've been raving about this lad since the start of the season, along with many of you. Can't believe (OK I can) why the media haven't been raving about him, especially the Red Dippers CB union on BBC 1. To have a player so assured in possession and so willing to mix it with the likes of Benteke, AT THE AGE OF 19 FFS, is incredible. Surely one of the best young prospects in world football, and he's all ours!!

Lescott said it himself, if he was English people would be raving on about him.

For me, and this is one almighty call, the pairing of Nastasic and Kolo has been arguably more solid than Kompany and Lescott last season. Nastasic has an old head on him, very strong and good in the air and his tackling is more often than not perfect.

Nice piece.

<a class="postlink" href="http://ballsybanter.com/2013/03/15/is-matija-nastasic-the-best-centre-back-in-the-premier-league-this-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ballsybanter.com/2013/03/15/is-m ... is-season/</a>

Matija Nastasic has started 17 of Manchester City’s 28 league games this season. In these starts, Manchester City have kept 13 clean sheets (meaning that if Nastasic plays, 75% of the time, City will keep a clean sheet). He has a 96% tackle completion rate, has made zero mistakes leading to goals in the entire season, as well as having an 86% pass completion rate. Since the new year, Manchester City have kept ten clean sheets in 12 games, largely without their captain and defensive juggernaut Vincent Kompany. It’s worth mentioning that Nastasic is currently in his first season in the Premier League this season, and is but 19 years of age. He has displaced England international Joleon Lescott entirely on merit.

Not to mention that Nastasic doesn’t seem to show an iota of nervousness and has no obvious weaknesses to his game. He plays with an aura of confidence and intelligence that reminds me of an in-his-prime Fabio Cannavaro. A very different player to his Serbian counterpart across Manchester Nemanja Vidic, a Porsche to his tank, Nastasic’s positional awareness is outstanding. So why aren’t we talking about him? He seems to be awfully under the radar for a player in a top four side doing this well in his first season. Remember all the fuss about Kyle Walker last season? Of course you have to factor in that Nastasic is not English, and that inevitably means he’ll get a little less hype than English players, but still, what’s going on exactly?

Well, when Nastasic first broke through, the media didn’t seem to be particularly thrilled about the ousting of Joleon Lescott, an English international who had just won the league and had an excellent Euro 2012. Lescott’s ousting has thrown England’s defence into somewhat of a crisis too, with no real up-and-coming alternatives, and so, many journalists turned on Roberto Mancini and subsequently Nastasic for the mistreatment of a player they felt hadn’t deserved it. And while I understand that, Nastasic’s performances have transcended any criticism to the point where it’s increasingly legitimate to ask if there’s been anyone better than him this season; after all, he’s the statistically strongest defender in the strongest defence in the league.

Statistically, the answer may be no, but we all know statistics can be misleading. By and large, the defending in the Premier League has been particularly poor this season, with even runaway leaders Manchester United having spells of conceding goals. Granted their defence has tightened up in the second half of the season, and Rio Ferdinand has come on strong in the last couple of months, but weaknesses earlier in the season prevent him, or anyone else at United for that matter, from being part of the conversation. Chelsea have stayed tight at the back this season for the most part, but regularly-featuring centre backs Gary Cahill and David Luiz have been error-prone.

I’ve been very impressed with Swansea’s defence this season, which feels drastically improved upon last year, with centre-half and captain Ashley Williams leading a very solid defence alongside Chico Flores. Williams has been good enough this year to attract interest from likes of Arsenal, and whether he stays or goes, I think Swansea’s solidity at the back is a large reason for their probable top-half finish. I think you could make the case for him, if you so desired. And while Stoke’s defence, and in particular Ryan Shawcross, started the season extremely well, they too have found themselves facing more difficulties as the season has progressed.

I think Nastasic probably wins on account of how little right he has to be this good right now; a player brought in as a replacement for the nervy Stefan Savic, who was at best cover last season. Mancini, not settling on a fixed back four this season, has rotated centre-backs on a regular basis, meaning Nastasic has had to deal with coming in and out of the side and playing with different partners, but Nastasic has adapted without fault. The extended absence of Kompany in the latter half of the season could have lead to a fairly cataclysmic situation for City, but the 19-year old his risen to the occasion. I’d expect him and Kompany to become a regular pair next season, and if it wasn’t already, this will become a very hard team to score against.

Written by: Louis Baxter on March 15, 2013

Hamann Pineapple said:
Nice piece.

<a class="postlink" href="http://ballsybanter.com/2013/03/15/is-matija-nastasic-the-best-centre-back-in-the-premier-league-this-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ballsybanter.com/2013/03/15/is-m ... is-season/</a>

Got a trojan threat on that site bud.

Hamann Pineapple said:
Nice piece.

enjoyed reading that, a refreshing change from some of the bullshit written about us.

Another good game for him today,i thought he looked assured and in control,he has a very good strength to size ratio and is certainly not intimidated by physicality.

One concern is his slight clumsiness in the challenge,he should have conceded a penalty today like last week,got away with two now,he wont again.

One of our best signings.

FantasyIreland said:
Another good game for him today,i thought he looked assured and in control,he has a very good strength to size ratio and is certainly not intimidated by physicality.

One concern is his slight clumsiness in the challenge,he should have conceded a penalty today like last week,got away with two now,he wont again.

One of our best signings.

Vidic has pretty much made a career of not giving away penalties that should have been, so there's hope for him yet! ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.