Netherlands v England - Wed 10th July, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Semi-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I called 2-1 in the pre match as Holland are shit.

Spain will be a very different animal but we’re good enough to do them.

It’s coming home.
Always curious to understand what the phrase "it's coming home" actually means?
We haven't won anything since 1966, most people on this forum would not have been born.
Are we implying the trophy or football itself. I've never understood the song.

We haven't won anything since 1966, most people on this forum would not have been born.
I took it as it, the World Cup, is coming home when that shite song was released. We’ve won it before so that makes sense.

We’ve never won this one though so fuck knows how that’s coming home.

Thought England did well overall. Very good first half, second half not as much. Watkins should've came on sooner, probably should've even started. It showed what happens when you actually have a striker running between channels and behind defenders.

Phil had an excellent first half, ran the show without reward. Bafflingly asked to be more static in the 2nd.

Bellingham was dreadful for most of it. Handled a long pass like hot potato when he was in open space. One good nutmeg there, but struggled to stamp a mark on the game.

Kane started well when he was moving into deeper spaces. Only briefly, because he reverted back to playing a traditional striker role and his influence diminished.

The Dutch were not great. I thought Depay was poor, but Weghorst was even worst. Ruined so many chances or opportunities for corners because he can't keep his hands off the opposition.

Xavi Simons, excellent goal but blew hot and cold all game, with most of it cold.

Not sure Foden was asked to be more static

Koeman said he tactically changed at half time because they couldn't handle Foden's movement between the lines in the first half. Considering England as a team can't seem to break down teams who set up a bit tighter, I think it caused the whole team to be more static from the start of the second half. There was no longer the room in the same areas as the first half, so it forces players to drift a bit wider to get on the ball.

It's a high level football game, teams change tactics when they're having issues. As much as I don't rate Southgate tactically, I don't he's gone and told his players to change their approach in the second half. It's just a tactically aware manager on the other side has adjusted to an obvious issue.

I took it as it, the World Cup, is coming home when that shite song was released. We’ve won it before so that makes sense.

We’ve never won this one though so fuck knows how that’s coming home.

But it was released for euro 96 originally

I thought it was more to do with the fact we were hosting a major tournament.

The song is supposed to be melancholic. But the lyrics is literally "footballs coming home".

Because association football was invented in England and the song was released in Euro 96.

Not sure Foden was asked to be more static

Koeman said he tactically changed at half time because they couldn't handle Foden's movement between the lines in the first half. Considering England as a team can't seem to break down teams who set up a bit tighter, I think it caused the whole team to be more static from the start of the second half. There was no longer the room in the same areas as the first half, so it forces players to drift a bit wider to get on the ball.

It's a high level football game, teams change tactics when they're having issues. As much as I don't rate Southgate tactically, I don't he's gone and told his players to change their approach in the second half. It's just a tactically aware manager on the other side has adjusted to an obvious issue.
You might be right. I'd follow that thinking. Netherlands did become more withdrawn in the 2nd half.

The mid 90s were hazy, let’s say. That does also make sense.

Either way I fucking hate that song.
It's dreadful, isn't it? It's actually really self-entitled, like football fans who say "back where we belong" after promotion or Dippers referring to themselves as "European royalty". At the very least, a Spanish win on Sunday will spare us some nausea.

I was talking to my brother, another blue, after England qualified. He, like me, supports England whenever they play but were both disappointed in the style of play and when I brought up the often spoken idea that teams that get better in a tournament often go on to win it. England played their best football by far in the first half last night. Lots of people said when England come up against the first decent team they would get knocked out, they said that v Swiss. Then they said that v the Dutch. Now I hear the Dutch were rubbish anyway? With some people England will never win, no matter if and it’s a big if they do the unimaginable and beat Spain in the final, it will be because England have had the lucky blah, blah, blah. You have to have luck along the way, Spain were a whisker from conceding a penalty in their semi final, another referee would have given that. I’ll be cheering England on in the final as I have done throughout the tournament, and hopefully one of those shots by Foden will go on the inside of the post this time and a Euro winning goal, wouldn’t that just a great way to start his summer holidays.
Same here. Some people have moaned and whined their way through this tournament and just havent enjoyed our success. Very bitter, against your own country wow. Its their loss though, they can only now celebrate us being knocked out by one of the best team in the world.

We played well enough last night, well enough to win. The subs towards the end wtf I thought we were going out after those. Foden motm but Watkins deserved it just for his determination and belief.

Our (Man City) defence controlled the game well enough.
Rice was poor (And has been all tournament).
Mainoo has proven me wrong, he changes our attitude when he gets the ball.
Bellingham shockingly bad. Worst player on the pitch at times. He has media protection it feels like.
Kane was good enough and was so pleased for Watkins.
Saka very good again.
Team played well together and pressed a lot harder. I think the team has developed during the tournament and we are at the right stage with the right attitude, well done Gareth I suppose, getting them into the right mindset at the right time. Quite Man City in that respect

I think we will lose the final, Spain looked very good and very together, but we have more chance now than Germany, France, Italy, Holland, I think Spain would have preffered them in the final and not an in form England.

Cmon England.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.