Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

Good 1st half without taking advantage and putting the ball into the net.

Second half was poor. Didn’t match the Geordies willingness and we came out second to everything. Chasing the game at the end to no avail. Kova & Gvardiol made a mess of the goal imo.

Nunes & Doku look quality. Oscar looked good but tired. Phillips not great. Some good stuff but still looks away off the level required. Jack also looked way off the pace. Akanji was on it.

All in all it’s probably for the best and I don’t say that in a don’t give a fuck way. Far too many games this season with a lot of injures and new players to bed in. Football was completed last season and I am grateful to all that helped the club achieve that unbelievable feat. We go again but with nothing to prove.

Newcastle deserved to win. Let’s hope the drop off without rodders is not so noticeable next game.

Getting beat is sometimes needed to get bit of perspective.

The sky show was awful and full of shit. Glad I don’t pay for it. We broke them last season, never forget. City as a club won.

Was at the game and was really impressed with the composure and pattern of play in the 1st half. There were however two niggles that came back to bite us in the 2nd.
For all the possession, we actually created very few if any great chances. A goal would have been deserved. Secondly, Kalvin doesn’t seem to play with belief. It’s like he has taken Pep’s ball retention policy much too literally - there is almost no risk (and hence attacking potential) to anything he does. At Leeds and in earlier England games he believed in himself and played naturally without thinking. If you watch him now you can almost hear the cogs turning in his brain. I am convinced there is a brilliant footballer in there, but not sure we are ever going to see it under Pep.
Yes we lost control in 2nd half, but Bobb tiring, Jack & Kova just back from injury, it just didn’t happen. Despite how apparently brilliant barcodes were Rico should have got us a draw. Not really a result to get too worked up about, but never like losing.
For me this season is purely about 4 in a row. Everything else is secondary.

Phillips is surely done now, he could make a decent career at a mid to bottom team such as Bournemouth or a team challenging in the championship but we need to put him behind us now before he becomes our Phil Jones

1st half we bossed the game and played some great stuff but with no killer edge

2nd half they had to come at us, huge game for them as no way are Newcastle winning any of the top 3 trophies, this is the only cup they have a chance in

Met a Geordie at the coaches on the way home and he was full of praise for city. He said he loves Pep and what the club is about

I was a bit gobsmacked as it is rare you hear glowing tributes from opposing fans

Told me he hates the rags and dippers

Then dropped in although he a toon fan his dad is a blue and from Cumbria who has a season ticket at City and goes every home game

This lad himself was late 50s so god knows the age of his dad but he was also at st James as a kid in 1968

Got back at 1.40am - about the only highlight was the clear run home after getting out of Newcastle

After the first half I was confident we would win so God knows what happened in the 2nd half

Oh well can't win them all but my 10 year old loved her first away day so for me that makes the whole day and expenses more than worth it

Up the blues

Phillips is surely done now, he could make a decent career at a mid to bottom team such as Bournemouth or a team challenging in the championship but we need to put him behind us now before he becomes our Phil Jones
We ain't gonna win a treble with him as DM.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.