Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

I just can’t find it within myself to get worked up in any way about this one.

No Haaland, de Bruyne, Bernardo, Rodri, Dias, Stones, Walker, Ederson - all undisputed starters in our best team, and our entire Senior Leadership team either rested or out.

Pep’s comments before the game, which are as clear he’s ever going to be that the League Cup is bottom of our priority list this season.

How little I think about the Southampton game last season amongst what what the most successful season in our history (and one of the most successful in English football history).

I feel pretty much the same as I do with pre-Season friendlies. Never like to see us lose, of course, but in the context of the season I just can’t find the emotion needed to care all that much.

Maybe that makes me spoiled, as for most of my life I’d have killed to watch us win just one League Cup - but there it is.

Onwards and upwards.
^this all day long Bravo that man

No Haaland, de Bruyne, Bernardo, Rodri, Dias, Stones, Walker, Ederson - all undisputed starters in our best team, and our entire Senior Leadership team either rested or out.

Pep’s comments before the game, which are as clear he’s ever going to be that the League Cup is bottom of our priority list this season.

How little I think about the Southampton game last season amongst what what the most successful season in our history (and one of the most successful in English football history).

I feel pretty much the same as I do with pre-Season friendlies. Never like to see us lose, of course, but in the context of the season I just can’t find the emotion needed to care all that much.

Maybe that makes me spoiled, as for most of my life I’d have killed to watch us win just one League Cup - but there it is.

Onwards and upwards.
I totally agree with all your points and would add given our commitments in December if we would have progressed last night and then against United we would have had to play the EDS team in the quarter final.

From a Newcastle POV it looked very much like two second strings in the first half and then we brought on two players who arguably the most important to the way we play and you didn't. We upped our intensity, our aggression and our ambition.

It felt huge because of the team we put out in the first half (Midfield was both young and inexperienced, defence had Lascelles and Paul Dummett in it.) and that team beat 'Man City'. I know I kind of ignored the fact that it was a Man City side without De Bruyne, Haaland, Rodri, et al.

It also meant we'd knocked out the very best side in the competition which we hoped would mean an easier route to the final. Of course then we get drawn away to Man Utd (who apparently have had 12 home consecutive home draws in the League Cup? Chances of that happening randomly are 0.02%). Of the 30 possible draws, this has to be the 3rd hardest. I guess we can look forward to Liverpool or Arsenal if we do manage to put away your neighbours.

Anyway, I hope everyone who made it to Newcastle had a good time regardless of the result.

All the best with the rest of the competition pal, hopefully you smash united and win the whole thing.

It's hilarious today. Manchester City lost a game of football last night missing about 10 players and it's major news...

Literally nothing else happening in the world of football other than a Manchester City defeat!

Oh yeah, Nobody cares about us by the way...We are irrelevant.

Can't wait to lift another Premier League and Champions League in May and watch the meltdown :)

The exit is not the issue here. The lack of chances when 1 down was embarrassing. Posters bleating on about changes ,second string etc are forgetting Newcastle made wholesale changes too. Grealish as a senior player was astonishingly bad, rubbish in fact. A few others not far behind. A few years ago we were delighted to win this trophy now like the red cunts we are acting like it's a meaningless pot. That's not City.
It's not meaningless, It's a reality of where we are. Pep has to think big picture and look out for the whole of the squad long term. The reality is we took a quiet 1 nil, sustained no new injuries, got Grealish and Kova some much needed minutes and freed up some space for the Brentford game that has to be moved because of the Club World Cup. Some youngsters got a chance to play. No one "likes" to lose a match of any kind, especially City, but it is what it is. City are the best side in world football today and this match has no bearing on that. I don't think any supporter accepting this result in a pragmatic manner makes them a "****" in any way shape or form. We were never going to get past the QF round fielding an academy squad anyway...it's all good...

Not sure why Jack is getting so much grief on here...

As WhoScored shows, Grealish was one of Manchester City’s better performers on what was a disappointing night for the Citizens overall.

The 28-year-old completed 100% of his passes with 45 successful efforts, the only player on the pitch who played the entire 90 minutes to achieve that feat.

Grealish also registered three key passes – no player on the pitch recorded more – while winning three freekicks for the Citizens.

Could you ask your lot to put their foot in against The Rags too and venture out of your own half? You generally roll over and have your tummy tickled by them.
Think the occasion got to us in the Final last season. But we're not the same beast we used to be. When they came to St James' last season we put on a clinic.

Onwards and upwards.
Nonsense. We crashed out. CRASHED OUT OF THE CUP.

Not sure why Jack is getting so much grief on here...

As WhoScored shows, Grealish was one of Manchester City’s better performers on what was a disappointing night for the Citizens overall.

The 28-year-old completed 100% of his passes with 45 successful efforts, the only player on the pitch who played the entire 90 minutes to achieve that feat.

Grealish also registered three key passes – no player on the pitch recorded more – while winning three freekicks for the Citizens.
They swap between Grealish and Phillips.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.