Newcastle fans

Don’t know if you googled that but there were plenty of empty seats in their last Championship season at a lot of games. They may have used season ticket sales to pump up the numbers but there were clearly not 51k supporters as an average.
It's on the European Football Statistics site, which seems pretty accurate (it is for our attendances anyway).

As far as I know, every club includes season ticket holders in the official attendance they give, not the amount of people who turn up. Yes, I imagine not all 51k turned up every game.

I like their fans but I'm likely blinkered by one experience. I was there in 2012 when we beat them away and went on to win the league. Leaving the ground quite a few of them took the time to come over and congratulate us and wish us luck. Although it was likely because of their hate for the Rags that they did it.
I also like them as a club, anyone that attempts to break up the cartel is a good egg in my book.

I don’t agree mate. Was stood right near them in ss3. Could be acoustics but other than the last 10 minutes I barely heard anything from them. I thought ss3 was excellent at times
From what I could hear projected out to where I sit in ESL1 from their lot in SSL3, they sang all game.

In the second half they sang their ‘Anthonyyyyy… Gordon… running down the wing’ version of our ‘Bernardooooo’ song for ages, they sang their version of our ‘City’s won three in a row’ for ages, they sang ‘they’re saying down, we’re staying up’, they sang ‘Eddie Howe’s b+w army’ for ages… thought they were really good but not as good as they can be or have been in the past at ours. Their bottom two tiers didn’t sing much.

And they didn’t give it any of that ‘WWYWYWS’, ‘doo doo doo football in a library’, ‘sssshhhhhhhh!’, ‘your support is fucking shit’ nonsense other sets of fans do. They just supported their own team (are you reading Leeds and Wolves fans?… two sets of fans who are preoccupiedly obsessed with shit ‘bantz’!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most criticism of Newcastle's second division support is based on the crowds they were getting in the early 80s before Kevin Keegan arrived.
Their crap crowds pre-Keegan were still the 17th best in the country, so not too shoddy. Not as good as our average in the third tier, which was the 14th best in the country. Even better though, Sunderland's average in the 3rd tier in 2019/20 was the 12th best.

Link: https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm

From what I could hear projected out to where I sit in ESL1 from their lot in SSL3, they sang all game.

In the second half they sang their ‘Anthonyyyyy… Gordon… running down the wing’ version of our ‘Bernardooooo’ song for ages, they sang their version of our ‘City’s won three in a row’ for ages, they sang ‘Eddie Howe’s b+w army’ for ages… thought they were really good but not as good as they can be or have been in the past at ours. Their bottom two tiers didn’t sing much.

And they didn’t give it any of that ‘WWYWYWS’, ‘doo doo doo football in a library’, ‘sssshhhhhhhh!’, ‘your support is fucking shit’ nonsense other sets of fans do.
They’re usually the absolute worst for that shite! “Here there everywhere empty seats”, that “Up the football league we go” dirge, completely awful.

And they do seem to like plagiarising our songs - the Bernardo one you’ve mentioned, the Ederson one they use for Joelinton and the “Show me the way to Istanbul” one from the CL final. Still, I suppose imitation is the highest form of flattery and all that.

They’re usually the absolute worst for that shite! “Here there everywhere empty seats”, that “Up the football league we go” dirge, completely awful.

And they do seem to like plagiarising our songs - the Bernardo one you’ve mentioned, the Ederson one they use for Joelinton and the “Show me the way to Istanbul” one from the CL final. Still, I suppose imitation is the highest form of flattery and all that.
Yeah, almost every one of their chants last night was one of our songs.

Sunderland always used to copy United, the Geordies seem to have looked to us!

Yeah, almost every one of their chants last night was one of our songs.

Sunderland always used to copy United, the Geordies seem to have looked to us!
Oh I don’t know that Poznan that Sunderland copied from us in 2012 was pretty memorable. ;)

United also nicked the Mackems “On the way” song with the big, scary “City’s gonna die”

I don't mind them, they seem a friendly bunch overall. Great to see another club disrupt the top 4 and be a threat to utd and the dippers.

Since Newcastle's takeover it's great to see their fans be excited for European football, new big signings and being part of a club which is better ran. Reminds me of the vibe we experienced in those first few years after our takeover.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.