Next Manager after Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the opinion getting Burnley up as Champions and keeping them in the top half of the Premier League for the next couple of years would give him a good shot.

Burnley are skint and lost so many senior players, but he's somehow getting a new tune out of them.

Whoever we next go for will be a risk, as Chelsea are showing again.

However, Chelsea have also shown they win trophies whoever the manager tends to be, mainly due to the quality of the playing personnel?

I don't really see anybody out there at the moment we should be worried about missing out on, the City job will be the most coveted in the world when it comes up.

The relationship to Txiki will be huge, which is why I suspect it will be someone familiar with his workings, be it someone like Vinny or even Enrique.

Perhaps Vinny would be up for being Enrique's assistant for a few years and then we would be covered again for the next decade!
It’s a tough one, if United or Liverpool got a manager and all he had achieved was getting a Championship team promoted as Champions and finished mid-table in the Prem for the next couple of years, I’d definitely take the piss out of them.

But like Pep and Zidane being unknowns and the likes of Eddie Howe and going back further Kevin Keegan both at Newcastle… you never really know… look at Potter at Chelsea.

I just think that if Kompany had no connection to City, he wouldn’t even be in our heads as a long-shot, never mind a real contender… although if Vilas-Boas can get top jobs than anyone can.

(Well, reading that post back, it’s just full of contradictions and flips from one end to the other!)

If Arteta has a good Champions league campaign next year then he ticks all the boxes.
There is no way on Earth that Arteta would leave Arsenal, and certainly not for City.

Arsenal are the biggest spenders in England now (since Arteta went there, he’s spent more money than anyone) and aren’t going to stop with that. Why would he leave that unless he was sacked?

There are four clubs in England who City will not be poaching any managers or players from: obviously United and Liverpool, and Arsenal and Newcastle.

Ideally you would want a scenario like Barca had when Pep left, Tito Vilanova took over and won the league. Gundo seems like an obvious choice, but it really depends on his plans for what he wants to do. Maybe they could convince Maresca to stay around and learn off Pep.

It’s a tough one, if United or Liverpool got a manager and all he had achieved was getting a Championship team promoted as Champions and finished mid-table in the Prem for the next couple of years, I’d definitely take the piss out of them.

But like Pep and Zidane being unknowns and the likes of Eddie Howe and going back further Kevin Keegan both at Newcastle… you never really know… look at Potter at Chelsea.

I just think that if Kompany had no connection to City, he wouldn’t even be in our heads as a long-shot, never mind a real contender… although if Vilas-Boas can get top jobs than anyone can.

(Well, reading that post back, it’s just full of contradictions and flips from one end to the other!)
So hard to find a pattern about what makes a good manager. Pep (looking good with Barcelona B), Klopp (got a team promoted before getting them relegated again), Zidane (player, assistant coach, head coach) Mourinho (translator?). It's bound to be full of contradictions, and sometimes the obvious or safe choice isn't always the best one, but if it goes wrong it can go wrong badly.

I think you’re underestimating how qualified some of your examples of unqualified managers were compared to Vinny now.

Eddie Howe has been a manager for 15 years, nearly 600 games and previously spent 5 straight years doing very well with Bournemouth in the PL getting linked to all the top clubs and England, he was hardly an unknown.

Potter again, 15 years experience as a manager.

Andre Villas-Boas won an invincible domestic treble in Portugal and the Europa league in his second season as a manager at 33 years old - still the youngest manager ever to win a European competition.

Zidane had been assistant for 3/4 years with the specific intention of preparing him to takeover.

Keegan was appointed midseason with Newcastle in danger of being relegated to the third tier, so not really a comparable job.

The relationship to Txiki will be huge, which is why I suspect it will be someone familiar with his workings, be it someone like Vinny or even Enrique.

Perhaps Vinny would be up for being Enrique's assistant for a few years and then we would be covered again for the next decade!
Good shout. Works for me.

So hard to find a pattern about what makes a good manager. Pep (looking good with Barcelona B), Klopp (got a team promoted before getting them relegated again), Zidane (player, assistant coach, head coach) Mourinho (translator?). It's bound to be full of contradictions, and sometimes the obvious or safe choice isn't always the best one, but if it goes wrong it can go wrong badly.

Mourinho was a first team coach and assistant manager at Porto and Barcelona for nearly 10 years before getting a head coaching role.

Pep is really the only successful instance of someone going from almost nowhere to the top of the Managerial game in the last 20 years.

There is no way on Earth that Arteta would leave Arsenal, and certainly not for City.

Arsenal are the biggest spenders in England now (since Arteta went there, he’s spent more money than anyone) and aren’t going to stop with that. Why would he leave that unless he was sacked?

There are four clubs in England who City will not be poaching any managers or players from: obviously United and Liverpool, and Arsenal and Newcastle.
He spent a lot longer in his career at Arsenal than City. He will be a lot more attached to them than us

Despite the high recent net spend at Arsenal, at City he will be working with a better squad of players, he will be more able to attract the best players in the world and work within a proven successful structure and a fellow Basque in Txiki.
Arsenal's current ownership have shown that they are prepared to let their best players go to rivals if the price is right and the player pushes. If Arteta wants it then I think we could get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.