Next Manager after Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mourinho was a first team coach and assistant manager at Porto and Barcelona for nearly 10 years before getting a head coaching role.

Pep is really the only successful instance of someone going from almost nowhere to the top of the Managerial game in the last 20 years.
My point isn't that they came from nowhere, but if you were looking for a clear route from player - small club - big club then you won't find them. They all had different forms of coaching experience at different levels that you'd struggle to find a coherent template to work from.

I think you’re underestimating how qualified some of your examples of unqualified managers were compared to Vinny now.

Eddie Howe has been a manager for 15 years, nearly 600 games and previously spent 5 straight years doing very well with Bournemouth in the PL getting linked to all the top clubs and England, he was hardly an unknown.

Potter again, 15 years experience as a manager.

Andre Villas-Boas won an invincible domestic treble in Portugal and the Europa league in his second season as a manager at 33 years old - still the youngest manager ever to win a European competition.

Zidane had been assistant for 3/4 years with the specific intention of preparing him to takeover.

Keegan was appointed midseason with Newcastle in danger of being relegated to the third tier, so not really a comparable job.
I didn’t really explain that paragraph properly, I meant that Pep and Zidane were unknowns as managers. My points about Howe and Keegan is that they moved Newcastle up to the top of the table from never managing at the top of the table before yet Potter has gone to a big club and has them in midtable.

That’s what I meant by ‘you never really know’.

It is quite obvious that it will be someone from Barcelona. Luis Enrique Xavi, etc.

I didn’t really explain that paragraph properly, I meant that Pep and Zidane were unknowns as managers. My points about Howe and Keegan is that they moved Newcastle up to the top of the table from never managing at the top of the table before yet Potter has gone to a big club and has them in midtable.

That’s what I meant by ‘you never really know’.

There isn't a perfect recipe ultimately, but the manager is only one part of things. City have an excellent structure in place, as did Barcelona when Pep was given the job. And I'd argue, although he didn't have a long career as a manager/coach he was a student of the game from an early age. Under Cruyff he clearly became obsessed with football and he'd probably read every coaching manual and management book under the sun as a player and knew how he wanted to play the game as a manager. He then took a job where that structure was already in place from the academy upwards so the transition was easier.

Zidane knew Real inside-out. Mourinho had worked under great coaches/managers to hone his skills and clearly had his ideas on how he wanted to play.

We've got the structure for someone to come in and continue our success, the difference is that Pep can achieve it in so many competitions consistently. And evolves the side both in personnel and tactics to ensure it doesn't become predictable. I'd expect Kompany to have been a keen student under Pep. He's an intelligent guy, with a clear passion for football. But I would never expect him to be as successful. Could he win the league with City though - I reckon so. And I think he'd be a good appointment in that we'd give him more leeway because of his history with the club. He may be too raw still though, we'll see. I do think they'll consider him though. Luis Enrique didn't have a CV which suggested he'd achieve what he did with Barca post-Pep. Klopp was given the Mainz job and managed to get them punching above their weight, taking them to the Europa League. But he then oversaw their relegation and couldn't take them back up. Not a CV you'd expect would impress Dortmund hugely, but after a couple of seasons he took them to back-to-back league titles and the CL final and has continued that success with Liverpool (without spending a penny ;) ).

Depending who is available, we may well look at a short term appointment to oversee things whilst we wait for someone we feel can oversee a longer period of success.

Depends on the bad blood between Arsenal and Arteta and City, I remember some articles about how unhappy City were with the way Arsenal pursued him.

It can't be that bad - we sold them two very good players in summer!

I'm surprised by those saying they wouldn't want Arteta because he f*cked us off for Arsenal at the first opportunity. Wouldn't you, if you were him? Be the assistant manager at a massive club, or be the manager of a massive club...not a hard decision to make, tbh!

If he did well with Arsenal, I'd be happy if he came to us - though, if he did well at Arsenal it would mean he's won a league or two, and maybe a few cups, in which case he'd be quite happy to stay there and be loved by their fans!

Who knows. I'm sure City have 3 folks they are continually talking too.
The way Vinny is going, he could very definately be in the frame. I guess we will have to see how well he does next season in the Prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.