Next Manager after Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that Pep stays for a long, long while more. He's got a new - very new challenge in front of him - how do you incorporate the world's best goal scorer - and indeed the best ever goal scorer ever in the history of the game - into your squad which in the past has been possession-based, whereas Haaland isn't?

Hopefully this dynamic intrigues Pep and he decides to stay.
===
Should Pep leave - it's not at all clear to me which manager will suit our squad going forward.

IMO - we do not utilize Haaland's skillset nearly enough. If Haaland stays in our squad - some sort of ultra high press counter attacking stile might conceivably yield best results.

Currently we seem to still be favoring possession football - which we could more easily realize with every player on the pitch gifted at passing.

Haaland isn't a great passer - at all. He's OK. Nonetheless we're still trying to play possession-based football. With Haaland - I think that this style won't work. Instead some sort of aggressive passing scheme designed to take risks - coupled with an all-out press if the ball turns over due to a risky pass - suits Haaland. We're not playing that way at all - and for me - under Pep - we might not ever play this way.

If Pep leaves - and Haaland remains - we need a Red Bull style manager IMO.

. . .only 1 candidate for me. Vinny - even if he was only 35.

Rub it into the scousers faces even more with years of continued success copying their Shankly model by bringing through from within.

Superb communicator, City legend and complete top bloke. Win Champions league first season.
Burnley play the same style as us now.I've seen them several times this season.Vinny has done an incredible job but it's too early to judge without seeing them in the prem.Also lets see how they play against us in the cup.

Burnley play the same style as us now.I've seen them several times this season.Vinny has done an incredible job but it's too early to judge without seeing them in the prem.Also lets see how they play against us in the cup.
I think they play more like we used to.

Our success is thanks to substantial investment and planning, which Pep is certainly part of, but is not the only person involved. Based on Ancelotti's CV he's unlikely to destroy what the club has in place for beyond Pep's tenure. He's won the lot with Milan and Real and been successful in short spells with Chelsea and Bayern. He might not be a club legend, but if we're still waiting to win the CL and he comes and does that then he will be. And that's my point about buying the bond. If you pay to bring in the best manager in the world and they're successful then of course there's a bond with them. Pep's been here for a long time and won a lot and it's unquestionable he has a genuine love for the club, you can see that in how he has our back regarding the PL charges. We might not get that from someone like Ancelotti but if it brings short term success whilst a longer term option is identified then I think it's the smart move.

Vinny has done very well with Burnley but it's a million miles away from the level we are at. We love him, he loves us but how will we feel if we're 5th in the league and out of all of the cups which is a lot more likely if we appoint him over someone with a greater CV.

Every so often you get these young and hungry managers who come in and are instantly successful and maybe Vinny would do that. I'm sure he's on the list at the moment and I wouldn't be unhappy with him replacing Pep but I don't think it's the right thing to do right now. It would be better for an older head to come in and not be burdened by the shoes they were filling. It's not about us City fans, the press would be relentless in their comparisons to Pep and trying to destroy Vinny's legacy here. He's very unlikely to go and win 4 league titles in 5 seasons and that's what I mean by destined to fail. As much as we might all say we accept we will not be as good without Pep, he's set a benchmark now and like it or not we do expect to compete for all trophies and win a few each year.

You disagreed with what I said, I disagreed back, it is done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.