NFL 2021/22

Have a soft spot for the Cleveland Browns, even though am a long suffering Miami Dolphins fan so maybe there's a connection there!

In my opinion Baker Mayfield (what a name by the way) is a good/average NFL QB & he certainly isn't elite to command a huge contract renewal. However, he's probably the best QB the Browns have acquired for as long as I can remember, much like the Dolphins trying to find that ever elusive Dan Marino quality QB for umpteen years. It seems Stefanski is shoe-horning Baker into starting even though its clear his injury is hampering the team. Baker is hardly going to declare himself not fit to play (like most players) so I do think Stefanski needs to make a hard decision & start Case Keenum (no cheap back up QB) if he continues to play this particular type of offense where accuracy is key on short passing downs.

I see a lot of similarities with Mayfield & Murray who were both electric at Oklahoma. The difference in the NFL is the Cardinals have setup the whole offense towards Murray's strengths, whilst the Browns have gone for a more traditional ground & pound the ball, to set up play action passes which really isn't Mayfield's strong skill set or at least cater to them. I do like his leadership qualities, but he's no Brady or Rodgers type QB skill level.

Feels like once again a wasted season for the Browns with such a talented roster. Defence seems to be strong & I would say the future should be bright with Andrew Berry at the helm making the off field decisions, well at least compared to the Dolphins front office which is a mess.

This is a great post. Really well informed. I agree with everything you have said.

Especially agree with your take on Stefanski's approach not suiting Baker. I do think it harsh though that Baker takes the blame. The WRs not getting separation and dropping the ball, having a turnstile at RT (Hance is a developing guard but Conklin and Hubbard are injured) and play calling are equally to blame. I do think Baker's main issues are his pre snap reads and he panics too often.

Re the defence, we look great when we are aggressive but sometimes the DC, Joe Woods, goes passive and we get torn apart. Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah has been a revelation while Denzel Ward has been a top 2 CB and Greg Newsome has been impressive in his first year.

What's the Dolphins fans take on Tua? Also interested in how your first round pick, Jaelan Phillips, has been getting on. Watched some of his college tape. He looked a stud but I think I heard he had a back op at college last season.

Is Xavien Howard still looking to move on?

That's me as well, Dolphins when I first started watching it on Channel 4 all those years ago. Can't listen to 'Sweet Dreams' by the Eurythmics without going back to the NFL. I think I got into the Browns because of my City mentality - back the underdog. I want Mayfield to be the guy, but I just get the feeling he thinks he's better than he is. Maybe they just need a few tweaks. Mind you, I didn't know he was playing through an injury. They're always the score I look for, closely followed by the Dolphins and the Ravens (I'm very simple minded, the Ravens because of the Wire - it's pathetic really).

Haha…spot on. I too got dragged into American football due to Channel 4’s coverage of it with infamous Mick Luckhurst & Gary Imlach presenters. Still brings a tear to my eye thinking of those days.

Also agree about the Wire…binged watched all the series when I was bed-ridden a couple of years back & totally blew my mind – couldn’t believe half the cast were Brits. You come at the King, you best not miss!

This is a great post. Really well informed. I agree with everything you have said.

Especially agree with your take on Stefanski's approach not suiting Baker. I do think it harsh though that Baker takes the blame. The WRs not getting separation and dropping the ball, having a turnstile at RT (Hance is a developing guard but Conklin and Hubbard are injured) and play calling are equally to blame. I do think Baker's main issues are his pre snap reads and he panics too often.

Re the defence, we look great when we are aggressive but sometimes the DC, Joe Woods, goes passive and we get torn apart. Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah has been a revelation while Denzel Ward has been a top 2 CB and Greg Newsome has been impressive in his first year.

What's the Dolphins fans take on Tua? Also interested in how your first round pick, Jaelan Phillips, has been getting on. Watched some of his college tape. He looked a stud but I think I heard he had a back op at college last season.

Is Xavien Howard still looking to move on?

Thanks for the recognition. Unfortunately, if you’re a franchise QB you will get the brunt of the blame & agitation since in theory the QB is the most important position on field. Stefanski seems to get a pass (well at least in the media) this season with his coaching mistakes due to over achieving last season and therefore the failings of the team rightly or wrongly seem to transgress onto Baker. Agree about the Browns WRs needing to get better separation & actually I think it was wise of the Browns to move on from the media circus that is OBJ. Personally, I think he left his best days in New York & now once in a while will pop up with a play but isn’t consistent enough in the NFL & seems to be playing off his brand name – he’s hardly lighting it up for the Rams. Better give someone else an opportunity for the Browns in this position- I do think People-Jones needs to step up & Jarvis is a gem & I was gutted when he left the Dolphins.

Is strange the Browns defence doesn’t go aggressive more frequently as when they did against the Bengals it was very impressive, especially by nullifying the hot streak Burrow & Chase combination leading into the game.

Tua is very much marmite for a majority of Dolphin fans. In saying this, I do think similar to Baker for the Browns, Tua is probably the most talented QB the Dolphins have acquired for sometime now. He seems more of a system QB where he expects everything to be just right and if so he will excel. Unlike Baker, his pre-snap reads are pretty good & was one of his strengths at Alabama. Its still too early to tell with Tua, but I think there are more pressing weaknesses in the team such as the dreadful/in experienced oline. However, my main question mark with Tua is his durability in the NFL. It was a pretty severe injury he picked up late in college leading up to the draft where apparently he would have been the first pick instead of Burrow, whom then went onto a remarkable year end college season picking up the Heisman & National Championship. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar prior to this.

I like both our first round picks in Waddle & Philips. Waddle is just class & Phillips looks like a player but teams were concerned in drafting him due to suffering multiple concussions during college. However, lets see if our coaching staff utilise him properly & to his full potential. I honestly thought Howard was gone & was surprised he was still a Dolphin after the trade deadline passed. He’s the Dolphins best secondary player & would hate to see him go but understand if he wants a better shot at winning something, which he won’t achieve at least in the short term in Miami.

Washington whoop whoop another win vs the Raiders.
Next to the Cowgirls and The Tampon Bay Buccs that’s the one to win.
Talking of NFL, Channel 4 and music I’ll never forget them playing “The Warrior” by Scandal.

Thanks for the recognition. Unfortunately, if you’re a franchise QB you will get the brunt of the blame & agitation since in theory the QB is the most important position on field. Stefanski seems to get a pass (well at least in the media) this season with his coaching mistakes due to over achieving last season and therefore the failings of the team rightly or wrongly seem to transgress onto Baker. Agree about the Browns WRs needing to get better separation & actually I think it was wise of the Browns to move on from the media circus that is OBJ. Personally, I think he left his best days in New York & now once in a while will pop up with a play but isn’t consistent enough in the NFL & seems to be playing off his brand name – he’s hardly lighting it up for the Rams. Better give someone else an opportunity for the Browns in this position- I do think People-Jones needs to step up & Jarvis is a gem & I was gutted when he left the Dolphins.

Is strange the Browns defence doesn’t go aggressive more frequently as when they did against the Bengals it was very impressive, especially by nullifying the hot streak Burrow & Chase combination leading into the game.

Tua is very much marmite for a majority of Dolphin fans. In saying this, I do think similar to Baker for the Browns, Tua is probably the most talented QB the Dolphins have acquired for sometime now. He seems more of a system QB where he expects everything to be just right and if so he will excel. Unlike Baker, his pre-snap reads are pretty good & was one of his strengths at Alabama. Its still too early to tell with Tua, but I think there are more pressing weaknesses in the team such as the dreadful/in experienced oline. However, my main question mark with Tua is his durability in the NFL. It was a pretty severe injury he picked up late in college leading up to the draft where apparently he would have been the first pick instead of Burrow, whom then went onto a remarkable year end college season picking up the Heisman & National Championship. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar prior to this.

I like both our first round picks in Waddle & Philips. Waddle is just class & Phillips looks like a player but teams were concerned in drafting him due to suffering multiple concussions during college. However, lets see if our coaching staff utilise him properly & to his full potential. I honestly thought Howard was gone & was surprised he was still a Dolphin after the trade deadline passed. He’s the Dolphins best secondary player & would hate to see him go but understand if he wants a better shot at winning something, which he won’t achieve at least in the short term in Miami.

Yes, Stefanski has made a number of mistakes this year and seems to get a free pass compared to Baker.

I watched a very good analysis of Baker by Kurt Warner on his YouTube channel (very good account, if you are interested). He takes the view that it is unfair to put so much blame on Baker. He highlights sometimes the poor routes (for example, the receiver on a screen not straightening up). He does highlight Baker's footwork. Goodness knows how he still isn't more efficient in dropping back. I know Alex Van Pelt worked with him on it and it has improved but it should be better. But then Baker's inability to read a blitz is especially bad.

There was talk, although no proof that OBJ was running the wrong routes or freelancing. Not sure how much of that is true. The fact that Baker is a gunslinger and he cannot hit a X receiver is a mystery to me.

As a Brown, I think the world of Jarvis. He's been banged up for most of last season and this. I can see the Browns looking to offload his contract in the summer unless he takes a big pay cut. As for DPJ, I really like him. For a 6th round pick he is a steal. He too has been dealing with injuries lately. He is basically assigned as Browns No1 receiver so he is being picked up by No1 CBs. He's not that level of player. He's a No3, possible No2. I can see the Browns picking-up at least one WR in FA and one in the draft, maybe two.

As for the defense, I have no idea behind the thinking of Joe Woods. He's forgotten more than I know but sometimes his approach in games is baffling. We have an ace man corner in ward but then plays some games with a soft zone. Drives me nuts.

Like the Dolphins fans, I am not sure about Tua. Like you said, he seems intelligent in his pre-reads. He is good in RPOs and may be I am wrong but he is getting better as the season goes on. I do think he has been affected by Covid restrictions (e.g. limited training camps in 2020 pre season), the games he has missed in the NFL and at college in the last two years or so. Like you said, the OL is not great. Hard for a rookie to develop behind a shaky OL. Maybe some fans should cut him a bit of slack.

That's right, Phillips had concussion issues. I confused his health issues with those of Caleb Farley (who had the back problems). Good to hear Phillips is doing well. I do like dynamic DEs. Have watched a bit of Waddle here and there. He looks really good. A number of the WRs in last year's draft are doing really well. Many were saying the draft would b a crap shoot due to the lack of tape due to lack of games and opt outs. However, the WRs, CBs and LBs have been top drawer.

Won again @willipp what’s going on ?
Washington still in the hunt for a play off berth but not helped by Brady last night.
That was so unexpected and one of the shocks of the season. Considering how bad they've been and the amount of injures they have offensively, its a remarkable win. Still dont think Goff will ever be good enough, but he did look a lot better yesterday,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.