Nolito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty are saying Nolito and Sane and our attack is sorted, do we not still need a 3rd striker?

Would the players guarantee enough goals? We definitely need more goals from other areas of the pitch and especially from our attacking midfielders/forwards, but banking on this group to score enough without going for a proper striker could be a risk.

Also, while I trust Pep 100%, these 2 attacking signings aren't exactly 'wow' names, given I'd not really heard of either 12 months ago!

Why not give Iheanacho, an (almost) academy player, a chance?

Great signing. Exciting to finally have a real wide player on that side with end product.

Anyone think Sterling can beat him out? Right now, I can't see it. Maybe Sterling will be moved inside, although he can't finish so IDK what will happen with him.

Agree. A proven goal-scoring wide player is a useful addition and isn't even a gamble at that price. On recent form you wouldn't pick Sterling and it's up to him to fight for a starting place.

Plenty are saying Nolito and Sane and our attack is sorted, do we not still need a 3rd striker?

Would the players guarantee enough goals? We definitely need more goals from other areas of the pitch and especially from our attacking midfielders/forwards, but banking on this group to score enough without going for a proper striker could be a risk.

I don't think it does, no. I think we'll score more goals through virtue of players not having to navigate Pellegrini's tactics anymore, but it's still putting a lot of pressure on Aguero to stay fit and score a load. I expect De Bruyne with no injury will up his contribution, and if Nacho even equals last season that's a good addition. Otherwise I'm not seeing the numbers in our squad. If we were bringing in Pogba I'd fully expect him to equal Yaya's best goal scoring season, or Abameyang to probably equal Aguero, but both of those look unlikely. I think there's every chance Sterling gets an injection of coaching and confidence and blossoms into a 20+ goal wide forward, but you'd have to say that's erring on the optimistic side at the minute.

That said lets remember that putting Nolito in a Pep team, with no disrespect to Celta, may get him another 5 goals or more over a season, which starts putting him close to the 20+ goals category himself.

Agree. A proven goal-scoring wide player is a useful addition and isn't even a gamble at that price. On recent form you wouldn't pick Sterling and it's up to him to fight for a starting place.

I think Nolito is insurance against Sterling. If Sterling plays as he can, then Nolito becomes his understudy. But the pressure being put on Sterling by all these wankers in the media is clearly having an effect, & as it stands it's more likely Nolito would get the shirt. But also, Sterling can learn from him.

I think Nolito is insurance against Sterling. If Sterling plays as he can, then Nolito becomes his understudy. But the pressure being put on Sterling by all these wankers in the media is clearly having an effect, & as it stands it's more likely Nolito would get the shirt. But also, Sterling can learn from him.

This. I found it strange how there wasn't even a whiff of a rumour before all of a sudden we were in for him.

I think that the club still see Sterling as the long term prospect, but realise he needs to develop and learn and maybe the weight of expectation has got to him a bit.

Here you go Raheem, here is an experienced, Full International wide player who can score goals. He'll take the pressure off and play some games but in the mean time, Pay Attention, cos this is how its done.

I don't think it does, no. I think we'll score more goals through virtue of players not having to navigate Pellegrini's tactics anymore, but it's still putting a lot of pressure on Aguero to stay fit and score a load. I expect De Bruyne with no injury will up his contribution, and if Nacho even equals last season that's a good addition. Otherwise I'm not seeing the numbers in our squad. If we were bringing in Pogba I'd fully expect him to equal Yaya's best goal scoring season, or Abameyang to probably equal Aguero, but both of those look unlikely. I think there's every chance Sterling gets an injection of coaching and confidence and blossoms into a 20+ goal wide forward, but you'd have to say that's erring on the optimistic side at the minute.

That said lets remember that putting Nolito in a Pep team, with no disrespect to Celta, may get him another 5 goals or more over a season, which starts putting him close to the 20+ goals category himself.

Pogba will never score 24 goals in a season

This. I found it strange how there wasn't even a whiff of a rumour before all of a sudden we were in for him.

I think that the club still see Sterling as the long term prospect, but realise he needs to develop and learn and maybe the weight of expectation has got to him a bit.

Here you go Raheem, here is an experienced, Full International wide player who can score goals. He'll take the pressure off and play some games but in the mean time, Pay Attention, cos this is how its done.

I think that's the plan. If Yaya & Bony both leave, our goalscoring potential drops a fair bit. Gundogan isn't going to cover it. We would be relying on Sterling & Iheanacho to make the difference.

It's slipping people's minds at the moment, that about half of the key games we have won, Yaya Toure scored. We have no replacement.

If we coukd get 10-15 goals out of Nolito, that's huge. Add similar from Sterling & it adds up to a full striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.