Non-League Football

Immaculate Pasta said:
With us being in Europe and playing alot of games on a Sunday, this forum should make a day out at all the local non-league grounds next season. Put some much needed money behind the bar in the various clubhouses.

Great post. Great sentiment.

There will be regular 'Bluemooners' who will say that the only club they are interested in is City and by following another club (however small) they feel like they are diluting their commitment. There are others, like me who love the game so much that they will watch almost any match. There is no right or wrong here. It is your hard earned leisure time and you should be able to spend it how you want.

All I would say is that I have probably only missed a handful of home City games (and been to 100's of aways) in the last 45 years and yet going to Maine Road FC about 4/5 years ago was one of the best things I ever did.I have absolutely loved it, but it hasn't diluted my love of City one iota*.

In the spirit of this thread, which was started by a City and Winsford fan and the post above from 'Immaculate Pasta', it doesn't have to be Maine Road FC. If City are not playing on a Saturday (or mid- week), go down and watch some non-league game.....fixtures will be out soon and it is dirt cheap.

--------------------------------

Anyone know what an 'iota' is?!

djm68 said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
With us being in Europe and playing alot of games on a Sunday, this forum should make a day out at all the local non-league grounds next season. Put some much needed money behind the bar in the various clubhouses.

Great post. Great sentiment.

There will be regular 'Bluemooners' who will say that the only club they are interested in is City and by following another club (however small) they feel like they are diluting their commitment. There are others, like me who love the game so much that they will watch almost any match. There is no right or wrong here. It is your hard earned leisure time and you should be able to spend it how you want.

All I would say is that I have probably only missed a handful of home City games (and been to 100's of aways) in the last 45 years and yet going to Maine Road FC about 4/5 years ago was one of the best things I ever did.I have absolutely loved it, but it hasn't diluted my love of City one iota*.

In the spirit of this thread, which was started by a City and Winsford fan and the post above from 'Immaculate Pasta', it doesn't have to be Maine Road FC. If City are not playing on a Saturday (or mid- week), go down and watch some non-league game.....fixtures will be out soon and it is dirt cheap.

--------------------------------

Anyone know what an 'iota' is?!

The ninth letter in the Greek alphabet or a very small amount or a Serbian olive paste that sits rather well with sardines and a simple green salad.

jacko said:
I will just second everything said about Maine Road. I played for Maine Road for a couple of seasons about 10 years ago and it was and remains a really well run club. I will be doing my best to go down watching them play next season when City aren't playing and urge everyone else to do the same.

A little before my time 'Jacko', but would you be Steve Jackson who clocked up 148 apps 4 subs and 6 goals or another Jackson!

Either way, do get down and watch us next season assuming it doesn't clash with City.

beanie the horse said:
My father Jim Grant used <a class="postlink" href="thttp://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">thttp://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum</a>
/search.php?search_id=egosearcho play for Maine Road in the late seventies / early eighties. Anybody remember him?

Again, before my time Beanie, but several of the people at Road are the original City fans who started the club, so I'll ask around.

beanie the horse said:
My father Jim Grant used <a class="postlink" href="thttp://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">thttp://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum</a>
/search.php?search_id=egosearcho play for Maine Road in the late seventies / early eighties. Anybody remember him?

Again, before my time Beanie, but several of the people at Road are the original City fans who started the club, so I'll ask around.[/quote]

He'd be pretty memorable. He's a Geordie and used to teach at Ducie High School.

beanie the horse said:
beanie the horse said:

Again, before my time Beanie, but several of the people at Road are the original City fans who started the club, so I'll ask around.

He'd be pretty memorable. He's a Geordie and used to teach at Ducie High School.[/quote]

Watched them from mid 70's to mid 80's and dont remember him?
Started with the great DB in nets at wilsons thru to IC at brantingham. There was one teacher called Fran Fenton tho who was a good un.

I can only second what people have had to say about Maine Road FC so far. Though attendences are low there's a great community spirit, and though budgets are small for the level they attract exciting players and play attractive football.

I first went to watch them simply because they were local to where i was living, but i must admit i was quite taken with the name! I still go and see them when possible, but like others have said, it depends on what City are doing. If we're playing then it's a simple decision, but with kick-off times nowadays Saturday games can be either side of a 3pm Road fixture, and now we're back in the Europa League we'll mainly be playing on Sundays. Midweek fixtures in their division are on a Tuesday, too, which is handy.

Personally, i just like to see a game of football, and if it's not City it doesn't really matter whether it's Chelsea or Bolton Vets. There are a lot of good footballers at Vodkat League level, and plenty of banter in the stands. With many of the people at Maine Road being Blues, as well, it's an extra opportunity to talk City. The pies are bloody good, too!

I'd try and encourage anyone to get down to Brantingham Road. You don't have to go regularly, just give it a whirl, remember what it's like to get home on a Saturday having been fed, watered and seen a good game and still have change from £20! If not Road then whoever your local side might be. Saves you getting dragged to the Trafford Centre at least, and if you're interested most clubs will appreciate any extra pairs of hands, so it could be a chance to get involved at the grass roots of the game.

m35 blue68 said:
beanie the horse said:

He'd be pretty memorable. He's a Geordie and used to teach at Ducie High School.

Started with the great DB in nets at wilsons thru to IC at brantingham. There was one teacher called Fran Fenton tho who was a good un.[/quote]

I was born in 1982 so know very little about his time there. I did texted him about it and he said that he was a centre forward for a short time before managing the reserves from 1980 to 1983. He was mates with players called Clive, Big John and Bryce. Do those names mean anything to you?

beanie the horse said:

m35 blue68 said:
Started with the great DB in nets at wilsons thru to IC at brantingham. There was one teacher called Fran Fenton tho who was a good un.

beanie the horse said:
I was born in 1982 so know very little about his time there. I did texted him about it and he said that he was a centre forward for a short time before managing the reserves from 1980 to 1983. He was mates with players called Clive, Big John and Bryce. Do those names mean anything to you?

I'll be speaking to "the great DB" tomorrow and get some feedback on Jim. I guess "Big John" is probably John Wright who is Road's leading goalscorer with 140 in 292 appearances. Bryce is probably Don Bryce who was recently in touch and kindly gave us £25 to become a 'Friend of Maine Road FC' (if anyone out there would like to do the same, go to the 'About Us' section on <a class="postlink" href="http://www.maineroadfc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.maineroadfc.com</a>). I'll find out also what Derek Barber recalls about a 'Clive' from that period. Fran Fenton remains our 7th highest in terms of appearances-328 and chipped in with 54 goals.

Just out of interest, I am assured by City that an article about Maine Road FC will appear in the new City Magazine when it is relaunched in Aug/Sept. That will be really appreciated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.