North Stand Construction Discussion

Japan, China, France, Spain, Germany etc can always fund and build large national and local transport infrastructure projects, yet the UK can’t. And if the UK can, they always go over budget and take decades to be completed.
I do partly agree, but those countries are all a lot bigger, and less populated particularly when compared to England.

Would they face the same kind of challenges/planning issues?

I do partly agree, but those countries are all a lot bigger, and less populated particularly when compared to England.

I thought in practical terms Japan was as crowded as England because virtually everyone lives on or close to the coast there(?).
But maybe their planning system allows the government greater ability to, ahem, railroad through projects, despite potential opposition…

Interesting watch talks about City 4.51 in the video, it also speaks about the stadium becoming tourist attractions

I thought in practical terms Japan was as crowded as England because virtually everyone lives on or close to the coast there(?).
But maybe their planning system allows the government greater ability to, ahem, railroad through projects, despite potential opposition…
Not sure. They're certainly a very different society.

Would the coast issue help though - as trains would be criss-crossing much less populated land?

Not sure. They're certainly a very different society.

Would the coast issue help though - as trains would be criss-crossing much less populated land?
Just had a quick look and their high speed lines only seem to have one ‘across the island’ route really.
The main line ‘up and down’ the main island would I’m sure pass through places as highly populated as the home counties and midlands of England and the suburbs of Manchester and London etc, so I think the answer is more likely to lie in different planning regs and laws rather than pop density.

Or maybe our land values in England are just sky high!
I understand that’s where the big costs have/would have come on HS2.

Interesting read.

No wonder it takes so long to build things. And in the meantime, costs spiral out of control.

‘5 years’ for Michael Portillo, Minister of State for Transport, to give final approval for Metrolink.

Metrolink Timeline​

1982 – 1992: Planning and Construction, Phase 1​

Just had a quick look and their high speed lines only seem to have one ‘across the island’ route really.
The main line ‘up and down’ the main island would I’m sure pass through places as highly populated as the home counties and midlands of England and the suburbs of Manchester and London etc, so I think the answer is more likely to lie in different planning regs and laws rather than pop density.

Or maybe our land values in England are just sky high!
I understand that’s where the big costs have/would have come on HS2.
It's hard to tell, as they wouldn't hug the coast I'd assume. If you have very low density away from the coast, then you go a little inland and then back in.

I suspect England has quite large cities and towns spread across much of the land.

It's hard to tell, as they wouldn't hug the coast I'd assume. If you have very low density away from the coast, then you go a little inland and then back in.

I suspect England has quite large cities and towns spread across much of the land.
Yes, I think the spread is definitely a factor, both overall, and in terms of building density inside city areas.

Let’s take China for instance. The HSR routes travel through more rural areas, but the distances between the major cities are huge, meaning construction requires more materials, labour and time. Yet China has still built…..

1704138058685.png

Bar overcrowded Metrolink services and a few overcrowded buses to get you back into town after the match, parked up outside the South stand, there‘s no other public transport.

On the plus side, at least Black Cabs and Ubers have been stopped from parking and u-turning on Ashton New Road after the match.

PS. We’re going to get pulled for off topic soon.

Last edited:
I do recall that. Or to what depth, if that did happen at all? Not saying I’m right.

I’m struggling to find any info and pictures of the North stand construction bar the 1 picture I posted, which I had to enlarge, as it was small.
May have resolved the question by restricting the search parameters to <2002 :(

Firstly from Bluemoon itself:-

"Initially the stadium had consisted of a couple of two tier stands at the east and west sides, and a one tier South Stand. At the northern end a large temporary uncovered structure – the new Gene Kelly Stand as City attendees at the Games dubbed it – filled the end where the running track curved beyond the boundaries of a regular football pitch.

The temporary stand was dismantled within days of the end of the Games, and work commenced on lowering the pitch. This was lowered by around 10m with tons of earth removed. The lower tier was then constructed and the North Stand was erected."

More compelling though is:-

"Terraces

Three of the four permanent stands were completed above ground for the Games, but none of the lower terrace was installed. After excavation of the athletics field was completed, construction of this lower tier was commenced. On three sides this tier, which seats 20 000 people, was simply cast onto a profiled and prepared earth surface, but on the west side it forms the roof of the players and match officials’ facilities in the previously constructed basement."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.