North Stand Construction Discussion

Yes great memories. I sat all over also. Went with my dad from 7 - 14 moving around the North Stand and Main Stand and then finally onto the kippax when I started going with mates.

Circa 1989 we often went into the Maim Stand and sat adjacent to the one and only Peter Swales. One of the most surreal days was the Bournemouth match, last home game which we needed to win to clinch promotion. 3-0 at half time, Edfie Larges team talk and the match finished 3-3.

5 mins after the match news filtered through that Leicester? had equalised at Palace meaning we still only needed a point against Bradford.

The ground went from 40 something blokes, filled with rage, screaming abuse at Swales while carrying a 5ft inflatable banana, to jumping around with joy celebrating an unlikely lifeline.

When we left I was in the Kippax AA Lower.
Mike Newell saved us that day

I’m sure many of you fellow FOCs remember the singing part of the old Kippax stand. If you’re too young to remember, facing the pitch, it was in the top left corner of the stand, right next to the set of railings between the home and away fans, and above the tunnel, shown in the picture.

It’s hard to try and even guess the amount of singers in that corner, but it must have been in the 1000’s. Once the chants got going they would spread across the rest of the Kippax with 1000’s of other City fans joining in with the chants. And because the roof was low and cathedral shaped internally, the noise and atmosphere would carry and spill out across Maine Road.

The highlight chants for me were, Here we go, Let’s all have a disco, and we’re City, we’re barmy, we’re off our f*cking heads. When those 3 chants got going everyone would be piling into each other, you’d be carried up, down and along the Kippax by the sheer number of people moving in different directions, and more often than not you’d end up in another part of the singing section, and you’d have to make your way back to where you were originally stood, if you could get back there, as everyone was so close together . Magaical times. :-) Sadly never to be involved in again.

View attachment 65766

Outside the back of the Kippax singing corner, the tunnel entrance, and next to the stairs, left, leading to the away end. Before the hill was paved it used to be grass with a concrete and stone top. I used sit up there before the match and at half-time watching and enjoying all the chants, banter and swearing that took place between City fans and the away fans either side of the metal railings.

View attachment 65767

Click on the link below for a great read and some fascinating old pictures of the Kippax.

‘The North End was a similarly obvious name for the terrace to its left’

Jesus that brought back some memories, all good, I wish I had a Time Machine, ye we were nowhere near what we are today but as a fan experience I don’t think those days will be bettered, to sterilised now, for me the fun’s gone ou5 of it but then again general life seems like that at the moment.

Unless your being sarcastic, You clearly haven’t read my post or any previous posts. I’m talking about match day ticket prices.

Unless you think £70 on a Thursday night is alright?

And I don’t agree with the point about season tickets either. There’s a very small number of cheaper season tickets. The rest of the ground is expensive and gone up 10 out of last 11 years

Interesting stuff on the season ticket prices. A home match is a 500 mile round trip, circa 90 quid in petrol and toll costs. I pay 425 for my season ticket and due to work (covering other staff) its often difficult to get up for games during the week. In an ideal world I would drop the season ticket but with current match day ticket prices it would just not be affordable. My season ticket works out at £22.64 but a one off match is £50 quid plus or like you say £70 quid for a one off game against Spurs. It would be interesting to see a proper breakdown of the numbers at the different season ticket prices.

Mike Newell saved us that day

I never knew it was him who scored. I have a vague memory of the kippax scoreboard flickering back into life (half the bulbs blown obviously) and fans running back through the tunnels. From rage to joy in a matter of seconds.

Hahaha.. we have tourists and glory hunters for sure, due to our success, but I think a lot of the uptake in attendances is due to the return of relapsed blues. We had big gates in the 70ss and 80s… then we went to shit and a lot dropped out.
We never did

Hope you well mate

Jesus that brought back some memories, all good, I wish I had a Time Machine, ye we were nowhere near what we are today but as a fan experience I don’t think those days will be bettered, to sterilised now, for me the fun’s gone ou5 of it but then again general life seems like that at the moment.
More fun in the stands back then but that’s universal whoever you support. For the last decade we’ve been watching the best City team of all time, count your blessings and enjoy the ride

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.