North Stand Expansion

Thanks for posting, it’s noticeable that the height of the new stand looks to be higher than what the South Stand is. It’s going to be impressive when completed.

It is actually not, funnily enough. The roof will be at almost the same height, and the stand itself, i.e the seating tier, is lower/less steep. But not split into two (three overall). The top of the vip bit is about the same height as the back row of the south stand. The only thing taller will be the top of the new cable supports, when they are in stalled. Hellocity can sort you out with a comparison.

Last edited:
A bit random.

The stadium will be extended stand by stand. The original design means doing the sides will be extremely difficult but even if that did happen, it’s probably 10 years off at least.

I also think people will change their tune when they experience the new development in person. What it brings to the table will by far outweigh any negatives in terms of how some might think it looks.
I don’t think we can be certain that the side stands will be done plus. How would that work once the hotel is completed ? And even if the sides where expanded surely the hotel would stay meaning that the design issue would remain

I've got over the OCD issue I had the other week and I actually think the stands looking different is a good thing. Look at Everton's new stadium and Spurs. All designed with the stands looking slightly different.

The only thing that I think will look a bit odd is the East and West having the curved roof. Hope we can square those stands up one day and maybe have the whole ground with a roof sloping a bit towards the pitch for acoustics.

I was under the impression that once the North Stand is complete that although the cable net is still in place under tension that at both North and South ends it will no longer be supporting the weight of any roof structures. They will each have their own weight bearing beam arm structures.
I would speculate if that's true that if the West and East stands were made larger in line with size increases of North and South then the designers would have options to raise the height of whole cable net, although I suspect that would cause problems at both ends with insufficient height of supports as im not sure the newer roof support structure is sufficiently strong enough to add the cable net tension. (maybe not).

I thinks it's far likelier that each stand would have its own roof support structures. In any event there are design challenges no matter how its approached.

Personally I don't see any further size increases in my lifetime, that's hopefully at least the next 25 years.

I don’t think we can be certain that the side stands will be done plus. How would that work once the hotel is completed ? And even if the sides where expanded surely the hotel would stay meaning that the design issue would remain

Hotel placement wouldnt even be a slight issue.

You think they’d design it without thinking of future expansion ramifications?

IMG_9398.jpeg

Any chance that the corners of the new stand, connecting to the East and Colin Bell stands, will look better than the corners at the other end of the stadium? I've always thought they didn't match up with the curves of the existing roofs.

20220522-180804.jpg

To me, they look like a botched job. Which they're obviously not.

At least they don't leak.

I hope!

I was under the impression that once the North Stand is complete that although the cable net is still in place under tension that at both North and South ends it will no longer be supporting the weight of any roof structures. They will each have their own weight bearing beam arm structures.
I would speculate if that's true that if the West and East stands were made larger in line with size increases of North and South then the designers would have options to raise the height of whole cable net, although I suspect that would cause problems at both ends with insufficient height of supports as im not sure the newer roof support structure is sufficiently strong enough to add the cable net tension. (maybe not).

I thinks it's far likelier that each stand would have its own roof support structures. In any event there are design challenges no matter how its approached.

Personally I don't see any further size increases in my lifetime, that's hopefully at least the next 25 years.
The new capacity will be a tad over 60k. I can’t see any likely need to extend E&W stands, so I agree. Above 60k, the return on investment must be doubtful if any extension were complex. I remember Khaldoon saying some years ago that any enlargement had to justify the cost.

The new capacity will be a tad over 60k. I can’t see any likely need to extend E&W stands, so I agree. Above 60k, the return on investment must be doubtful if any extension were complex. I remember Khaldoon saying some years ago that any enlargement had to justify the cost.

Regardless of the extra 8000 seats, with the addition of the Hotel, the 3000 capacity fanzone, the museum, retail, offices the skywalk, restaurants, events, conferences, etc, the North stand redevelopment will eventually pay for itself. Apart from adding additional seats, I don’t really see any other way to make additional money from an expanded CBS and East stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.