North Stand Expansion

Hotel placement wouldnt even be a slight issue.

You think they’d design it without thinking of future expansion ramifications?

View attachment 123687
If the side stands were expander then depending on how far back the stand on the same side as the hotel you would either get very reduced light or knock into the hotel. In any event. People will still feel the hotel etc is just bolted onto the stadium which was the main point which you have not addressed

Any chance that the corners of the new stand, connecting to the East and Colin Bell stands, will look better than the corners at the other end of the stadium? I've always thought they didn't match up with the curves of the existing roofs.

20220522-180804.jpg

To me, they look like a botched job. Which they're obviously not.

At least they don't leak.

I hope!

A botch job is exactly what they are. They were meant to be 'temporary'.

The new one is better, in the sense it is more controlled. But it will still be a bit clumsy, in the way the east and west low poibts smash into the sides of the new one. Imo.

Regardless of the extra 8000 seats, with the addition of the Hotel, the 3000 capacity fanzone, the museum, retail, offices the skywalk, restaurants, events, conferences, etc, the North stand redevelopment will eventually pay for itself. Apart from adding additional seats, I don’t really see any other way to make additional money from an expanded CBS and East stand.

Could see a second hotel and maybe a conference centre being incorporated into any East stand redevelopment.

I was under the impression that once the North Stand is complete that although the cable net is still in place under tension that at both North and South ends it will no longer be supporting the weight of any roof structures. They will each have their own weight bearing beam arm structures.
I would speculate if that's true that if the West and East stands were made larger in line with size increases of North and South then the designers would have options to raise the height of whole cable net, although I suspect that would cause problems at both ends with insufficient height of supports as im not sure the newer roof support structure is sufficiently strong enough to add the cable net tension. (maybe not).

I thinks it's far likelier that each stand would have its own roof support structures. In any event there are design challenges no matter how its approached.

Personally I don't see any further size increases in my lifetime, that's hopefully at least the next 25 years.

Yes the north and south have their own roofs and roof supports. The cable net is keeping tension of the east and west. But js also sipporting the full weight of east and west too. Be tough to move or remove one side without touching the other at the same time.

Could see a second hotel and maybe a conference centre being incorporated into any East stand redevelopment.

There is a second stand-alone hotel loosely planned as part of the wider grounds development. Roughly just south of where the co-op site compound being currently dismantled is. When that might come forward, who knows.

2 more yellow platforms have been added.

Posted this picture from Linkedin on Sunday.

2 yellow platforms.

View attachment 123646

A new picture on Linkedin posted 8 hours ago. Probably from earlier in the week? The weather looks ok.

4 yellow platforms have now been added.

The lower hole in the roof has got bigger.

A larger hole has appeared to the right of the roof.

View attachment 123647

View attachment 123648
Are they going to be able to cover that before winter sets in and it’s pissing it down?

If the side stands were expander then depending on how far back the stand on the same side as the hotel you would either get very reduced light or knock into the hotel. In any event. People will still feel the hotel etc is just bolted onto the stadium which was the main point which you have not addressed

You came across as though the stand would be impeded by the hotel. I showed that it really wouldn’t.

I don’t think light would be an issue either, it’s already built next to a stand at the same height and the bit facing the side is already staring right at a grey stand with not much of a view.

Do you think City would build this without considering future developments? Even the South Stand corners are built with the side expansions in mind. Clearly, any future expansion would be done to take into account the current structure.

Hotel placement wouldnt even be a slight issue.

You think they’d design it without thinking of future expansion ramifications?

View attachment 123687
You can clearly see where (if they go ahead with it) the new E & W stands roofs will connect. Just follow the ends of the S stand roof before it drops for the temporary connection to the existing E & W roofs and imagine them coming across, above the existing roofs and joining up to the ends of the new N stand.

The exterior of the E & W stands will come out enveloping the spirals, the sloping poles that hold the cable net in tension will no longer be needed as that will go as well. The N stand roof replacement looks complicated but I reckon it'll look like childs play compared to the E & W job as I can't see them not being done in unison.

I am still struggling with the middle section base level bracing. Nobody else bothered by this?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.