North Stand Expansion

It was smaller than a stand built by Stockport County and looked like something you’d see a mid Championship club build.

The old stand was awful and Sunderland did us a favour smashing it up. the New PL stand had a bit going for it, but not much.

Thought that was Leeds. Perhaps both. Either way I loved the old stand. My first games back in 77 were there.

The look and design was pathetic, not fit for purpose but summed up the standard and status of the club at that time.
The old Platt Lane held around 9,000 but was unsafe, which is why it was demolished before the Kippax in spite of the all-seater requirement.
The new Platt Lane was designed with hospitality in mind, hence the double row of boxes and only 4,500 seats. Also, there was more agitation from residents of Thornton Road than there had been when the old stand was built.
As for who smashed it up: Sunderland was the final game of 1990-91 and Leeds was towards the end of the following season. The stand was pulled down in the summer of 1992.

When the North Stand is complete, what will the new Total Capacity be, and will it be slightly higher than Anfield, Spurs and Arsenal or about the same?

Was there any reason why, when the new Kippax was built, it wasn’t joined up with the Platt Lane and North Stand ends in the corners? In a similar way to how the Main Stand corners were filled in?

Last edited:
The old Platt Lane held around 9,000 but was unsafe, which is why it was demolished before the Kippax in spite of the all-seater requirement.
Slightly hazy recollection but I think the corner of the PL stand where it met the main stand was closed first for safety reasons even when the rest of the PL was still open.
Just remember trying to sit in it one game and finding it closed. Imagine that now!

Was there any reason why, when the new Kippax was built, it wasn’t joined up with the Platt Lane and North Stand ends in the corners? In a similar way to how the Main Stand corners were filled in?
Cost I think, although not 100% sure, we didn’t have a pot to piss in then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.