North Stand Expansion

I know I’m going off topic again, but whilst we’re in-between drone video and picture updates, it’s good to remember MR and the different stands.

Platt Lane.

From this

IMG_2320.jpeg

To this.

IMG_2322.jpeg

Oh Peter(RIP), why did you do it?

An interesting read. Bitter, jealous, or…..

The 4 MR stand descriptions are OK.

I came across it when I found the old Platt Lane picture. Note the fencing along the front of the Platt Lane.

Last edited:
Probably one of the worst stands ever built in football.

After seeing the fantastic Platt Lane torn down to make way for it, I was bitterly disappointed by it.

Cheap and nasty looking.

i have never heard anyone describe the old Platt Lane as being fantastic. serious question, were you a regular at Maine Road?

i have never heard anyone describe the old Platt Lane as being fantastic. serious question, were you a regular at Maine Road?
As my Maine Road baptism, it was absolutely fantastic to me.

From the plank seats, to the “can you move up a bit, Mister,” to the roof that seemed to not only keep off the rain but keep in the smoke of 5,000 Woodbines, to the proximity to the big lads in the Kippax, to the being able to move down to front as people started to leave, to calling Joe Corrigan “Muttonhead,” to feeling that it was a first step towards being a lifelong Blue…it was absolutely fantastic to me.

Probably one of the worst stands ever built in football.

After seeing the fantastic Platt Lane torn down to make way for it, I was bitterly disappointed by it.

Cheap and nasty looking.
Swales was going to take the design around onto the Kippax he told me that to my face I replied in a similar vein to the above but in much less polite tones, he was shocked as he thought it was great. Mind you at an AGM when a question from the floor asked about the pillars in the main stand, he replied "what pillars"

Swales was going to take the design around onto the Kippax he told me that to my face I replied in a similar vein to the above but in much less polite tones, he was shocked as he thought it was great. Mind you at an AGM when a question from the floor asked about the pillars in the main stand, he replied "what pillars"
I always thought the “original” plans for the redevelopment from the early-80s looked quite good though, especially the idea for the executive boxes to be suspended from the new Main stand roof. Although I do question now whether that was ever technically possible, and it was just my young self being conned by another Swales lie (first of many sadly).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.