North Stand Expansion

I wonder why they’ve only removed every other roof panel. They did all the back part when they did the south stand.

I have wondered that myself. It was planned that way, the CMP did state 'the roof would be stripped between unbraced rafters in a hit and miss fashion' and that 'existing rafters will be removed in braced pairs at the end of 24/25 season'. Which all makes sense, other than it doesn't look like they are braced in pairs, looks like each one is supported individually.

Looked through this now, to simplify this for those that don't fancy it, they are amending 5 things.

1. They are replacing a floor of office space in the commercial building, with an extra floor of retail. There is a lot in the wording that might confuse a fairly simple change, but that is the bottom line net result of it. They are also introducing thee additional voids in the floor plates, at the kink of the claw part, and adjacent to the circulation core. Doubt sisk will thank them for that this late in the game, probably explains why they waited so long to start on this side of the site though.

2. The louvered panels, which were conditioned, have been replaced with a perforated panel. At the Planners request, might I add, so @supercity88, they do care!

I commented on this when they first appeared on the mock-up, and thought it was a big improvement on what was submitted (for those that think I am being overly negative about the mock-up). They nailed it with that imo, pity they then shat the bed with the sails though. But if the planners' feedback that made them change these panels is anything to go by, there is hope yet.

It is noted as 'bespoke honeycomb design of perforation, inspired by the Manchester worker bee heritage', for anyone that likes a bit of glibber.

3. They are replacing the 3 LED screens within the City Square zone (above the stage) with one larger screen, and more of the same panel cladding material as the rest. For clarity, these are not the three screens at the end of the claws, these are the ones within the square itself, underneath the etfe roof.

4. Staff terrace on the first floor of the hotel. This space already exists, no real physical change, other than some additional railings to close it off and secure it, which will be added to condition covering materials and discharged through that.

5. Changes to landscaping to line up with developed drainage design, larger sprinkler tank, and 'feature drainage chutes' within the City Square.

Not bothered with image crops or comparisons, don't think any of it is exciting enough for that, word descriptions cover it imo.
What do you mean about the panels ? Where are they any images thanks

What do you mean about the panels ? Where are they any images thanks

You see it best in jrb's pictures from some time ago, the bottom 3 below.

In the approval, they were conventional louvered panels, which would have been a bit rough. It is a big improvement and I said as much.

The dog leg part of the hotel is starting to make an impact on Joe Mercer Way. Currently on level 3. With level 4 starting.

PXL-20240724-182520777-MP-2.jpg

PXL-20240724-182544930-MP-2.jpg

All the cranes together.

PXL-20240724-182759464-MP-2.jpg

The top section of the dark grey cladding and the windows.

PXL-20240724-183023275-MP-2.jpg

PXL-20240724-183031737-MP-2.jpg

PXL-20240724-183048948-MP-2.jpg

The bottom section of the cladding.

PXL-20240724-183237873-MP-2.jpg

PXL-20240724-183257620-MP-2.jpg

PXL-20240724-183339927-MP-2.jpg

PXL-20240724-183357353-MP-2.jpg

Video.

@DiscoSteve , I've seen you ask this a few times here and on SSC, re the old large drainage chute.

The proposals are for this to be replaced with similar chutes either side of the new stand projection. There are also 2 similar ones within the square for the erfe roof. Circled in red below in various locations.

As for the current temporary set-up, can't see anything in place in fairness, there is either a temporary solution we can't see in the drone videos, or possibly they are just accepting they live with it during the works.

View attachment 128319
Maybe it’s just me that has missed this but does that first diagram suggest that the hotel and office building aren’t attached to the stand at all? There looks to be gaps open for fans to walk on the ‘inside’ of the two new buildings rather than have to go round them.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they will be covering any more roof than they have now btw. Looks like where they have added profiled sheets up to, lines up with the gap behind the hoarding below. Goven how close it is to the season starting, and how little activity there is up there, it looks like they will accept that covers just about enough and accept it as is. @bluesmith, welcome to correct me here.
Honest answer is I'm not sure as I'm on holiday at the minute, but it would make sense going off what I've been told previously.

Maybe it’s just me that has missed this but does that first diagram suggest that the hotel and office building aren’t attached to the stand at all? There looks to be gaps open for fans to walk on the ‘inside’ of the two new buildings rather than have to go round them.
They are attached above ground level but there is a ground level through route, I think

They are not at ground floor they are from level 2 and above all the way.

IMG_9918.jpeg
IMG_6548.jpeg
Attached but with a tunnel so you can pass through City Square without walking all the way round.

I think Populus would probably prefer you called it a 'link bridge above' rather than a 'tunnel below' ;)

Is walking on the ground under a building classed as a bridge? :)

For me the bridge there is if you’re inside the building walking from hotel to stand and vice versa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.