North Stand Expansion

The stand alone hotel won't cost much to build in the overall cost of the redevelopment. It's just a box made of steel and cladding. TBF the external sails are a welcome addition. At least they give the hotel a bit of character and interest.
By installing a larger sail instead, it ties into the club's heritage with the badge having a tail ship on it, the little sail has little effect in making the building look stand out.

Please look at the pictures below which are from the Northwestern University sailing club that was mentioned in the planning statement

Nothing major is need changed on the design just a insert so the sails can site in . it looks miles better than was is proposed in photo five ,no one is doubting the set up will be great just a couple of wee tweeks to making the whole project look and work better

I have tried to add similar photos in 4 and 5 so you can see what it looks like
1690122953364.png
1690123062294.png
1690123160912.png
1690123386551.png

1690123776232.png

That's fair enough. All valid points. But that still doesn't mean I and other people have to like the appearance of the hotel and how it fits alongside the wider North stand redevelopment.

I actually don't mind the '2 claws', for want of a better word, that come out of the back of the expanded North stand. It's the bolted on Hotel side extension that irks me, etc.

I fully appreciate and understand why the club and the architects have linked the hotel to the North stand/stadium, and haven't made it a stand alone hotel on another part of the Etihad Campus/Collar site.

Just my thoughts and opinions on the hotel. Doesn't mean I'm right.

Of course not. Design is subjective. Some will like it, others won't and plenty won't really give a shit! I don't think they could have done much else in terms of the 2 clawed approach! They have to allow room to navigate the stadium, whilst creating an end stop as you come up from the tram and also a place that functions as a football stadium and then as a leisure destination the rest of the year. Quite a balance and they've done an okay job. I'm not blown away by the design, but I'm not going to be staying in that hotel and ultimately the external appearance is only one part of it. Internally it looks very good, and I'm sure they've done their research on what prices they'll offer for the various rooms and how it's going to compete with city centre rivals.

Of course not. Design is subjective. Some will like it, others won't and plenty won't really give a shit! I don't think they could have done much else in terms of the 2 clawed approach! They have to allow room to navigate the stadium, whilst creating an end stop as you come up from the tram and also a place that functions as a football stadium and then as a leisure destination the rest of the year. Quite a balance and they've done an okay job. I'm not blown away by the design, but I'm not going to be staying in that hotel and ultimately the external appearance is only one part of it. Internally it looks very good, and I'm sure they've done their research on what prices they'll offer for the various rooms and how it's going to compete with city centre rivals.

I don't have problem with the claw design. As you say, it creates an inner covered fanzone, which is what the fans were asking for because of the inclement Manchester weather.

It will be interesting to see how the fanzone copes with the amount of people wanting to use it, passing through it, queuing to get into the stand, shopping, eating, drinking, etc, and how the club tries to regulate the flow of fans coming off the trams, along Joe Mercer Way, and from both sides of the stadium into the claw on a matchday. We and the club don't want a scenario where it's that busy and packed that it's difficult to get in and out of the fanzone, or god forbid a crush develops.

Some things are a matter of opinion, difference of experiences, tase etc and neither take is necessarily more valid than others in somce cases. In this one, the first paragraph is just not true. The level of detail you suggest isn't in the application, and most probably hasn't even happened yet. The two conditions are quite specific in what needs to be shown next, including how it all comes together, which is closer to what you describe. The rest, I agree with more broadly.

Reading back my last response to you, just wanted to clarify it was neither dismissive nor flippant. Sounds like there are some interesting discussions we could have, but would be tangents to this thread and didn't think it was the time or place for expanding the topic. Fwiw I also think it will look better built than the visuals suggest, because their role is a fair bit wider here.

Didn't take it as flippant mate. As I said, I work in planning for a developer so I'm used to people not agreeing with me - usually locals and the Council! This project will be fully costed down to material prices. The details of the type of materials - brick, curtain glazing, cladding etc are all there on the elevations. What we don't know is the specific manufacturer/supplier information and that's what the condition is for. But I don't think we need to argue that any further, as Lex stated they might decide to change plenty due to costs/supply issues and submit an amendment.

Ultimately I think it looks okay, and we both agree it's probably going to be better in the flesh. I also feel that internally is where it matters most and the images in the DAS make that look superb. If you walk up from the tram you'll have huge screens showing you great moments and City Square pulling you in. The fact it's a hotel will be largely lost on matchdays.

It's exciting. I was actually at the Spuds ground on Friday for a gig and seeing their single tier whets the appetite for when we get ours. It's going to be incredible.

Believe me, when the wraparound LED display is on it will look fuck all like a 'packing plant'

Quote >

'The cutting-edge LED’s integrated into the facade will also create a seamless aesthetic between event and non-event modes, day and night'.

I've heard that the external screens have been reduced in size. I'm not sure by how much, and it is unlikely to make too much of a difference overall. I'll try and find out. I know someone who works for the company that provides them.

Following on from the discussion re planners meeting. From TheBusinessDesk.com : -

Manchester City FC’s £300m stadium extension and hotel tops next planning agenda​

City-stadium-plans-500x281.jpeg
Etihad stadium extension and hotel plans
Construction / Economy / Property / Sport
July 21 2023
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/nor...mpaign=NorthWest_24th_Jul_2023_Daily#comments
Write a comment

There are seven projects and a tree preservation order on the agenda at Manchester City Council’s Planning and Highways Committee next Thursday (27 July 2023).

The largest and most extensive development up before Councillors on the committee is European Champions Manchester City Football Club’s £300m stadium extension plan and a new hotel at the North Stand, which was first submitted to the council by advisers Deloitte in April 2023.

Officers said they are minded to approve the plans, subject to commitments on transport and local amenities that may be impacted by the 62,500 capacity at the extended Etihad Stadium.

However, there appear to be no guarantees that concerts at the new 25,000 seter Co-op Live Arena won’t clash with City matches next door – described as the “worst case scenario of traffic and highway impacts”.

Danny Wilson, Managing Director – Manchester City Operations, said: “Over several months we have been developing concepts and designs for a best-in-class fan experience and year-round entertainment and leisure destination at the Etihad Stadium.

“As with all Club developments, ensuring our local community benefit is a key priority and we believe these proposals will deliver long-term economic and social opportunities, building on the regeneration work delivered in East Manchester by City Football Group since 2008.”

Construction activities would start on site, subject to planning permission, in October 2023 with the North Stand becoming operational in August 2025. The other commercial buildings would be completed in November 2025.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.