North Stand Expansion

They could do a lot of things, but they won't. The detail is in the application. They've listed materials and what they will then need to do is provide actual supplier information. We know there is a red brick plinth but we don't know the brick, so they'll build a panel or send a sample to the Council and it will be approved.

But whilst the Council will have someone who likes bricks and design, it's subjective and costs and lead in times play a part.

Fwiw I don't think there are many hotels in the world, let alone this country, that blow you away with their architecture. And I think this design will look a lot better in person than the CGIs suggest.

They're putting enough into it to make it look okay, but not any more than that because the return simply isn't there. Building projects in Abu Dhabi where the sun shines all year and it gets very hot but people spend a fortune is very different to wet and windy manchester where people staying at the hotel will need good value to tempt them from the city centre.
Finally a post that actually accurately reflects reality of the project.

Great post.

They could do a lot of things, but they won't. The detail is in the application. They've listed materials and what they will then need to do is provide actual supplier information. We know there is a red brick plinth but we don't know the brick, so they'll build a panel or send a sample to the Council and it will be approved.

But whilst the Council will have someone who likes bricks and design, it's subjective and costs and lead in times play a part.

Fwiw I don't think there are many hotels in the world, let alone this country, that blow you away with their architecture. And I think this design will look a lot better in person than the CGIs suggest.

They're putting enough into it to make it look okay, but not any more than that because the return simply isn't there. Building projects in Abu Dhabi where the sun shines all year and it gets very hot but people spend a fortune is very different to wet and windy manchester where people staying at the hotel will need good value to tempt them from the city centre.

That's fair enough. All valid points. But that still doesn't mean I and other people have to like the appearance of the hotel and how it fits alongside the wider North stand redevelopment.

I actually don't mind the '2 claws', for want of a better word, that come out of the back of the expanded North stand. It's the bolted on Hotel side extension that irks me, etc.

I fully appreciate and understand why the club and the architects have linked the hotel to the North stand/stadium, and haven't made it a stand alone hotel on another part of the Etihad Campus/Collar site.

Just my thoughts and opinions on the hotel. Doesn't mean I'm right.

Last edited:

Some things are a matter of opinion, difference of experiences, tase etc and neither take is necessarily more valid than others in somce cases. In this one, the first paragraph is just not true. The level of detail you suggest isn't in the application, and most probably hasn't even happened yet. The two conditions are quite specific in what needs to be shown next, including how it all comes together, which is closer to what you describe. The rest, I agree with more broadly.

Reading back my last response to you, just wanted to clarify it was neither dismissive nor flippant. Sounds like there are some interesting discussions we could have, but would be tangents to this thread and didn't think it was the time or place for expanding the topic. Fwiw I also think it will look better built than the visuals suggest, because their role is a fair bit wider here.

Your last paragraph is the nail on the head imo and the argument that will be used if required by the club regarding the design? It’ll be used by people ons or two nights max and the price point in the UK obviously needs to reflect the difference in the wealth of people staying in Abu Dhabi compared to someone attending a football match or concert in Manchester?

Who do they need to make that argument to? That it matters to.

They've made headlines about a 300m development. That is not a 'budget' project pal.

Who do they need to make that argument to? That it matters to.

They've made headlines about a 300m development. That is not a 'budget' project pal.
300m development for the UAE is budget, but it still looks superb and will be brilliant.

300m development for the UAE is budget, but it still looks superb and will be brilliant.

No it isn't pal. And it isn't in the UK for certain. Not for what it is.

edit, either way 'we need to keep costs down so we have made it look affordable' is not an arguement the club will make. Even if they did, it wouldn't wash, not with anyone that matters to the process.

The stand alone hotel won't cost much to build in the overall cost of the redevelopment. It's just a box made of steel and cladding. TBF the external sails are a welcome addition. At least they give the hotel a bit of character and interest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.