North Stand Expansion

The athletics/rugby stadium is a vast,somewhat under utilised asset currently.

Does anyone have any real insight into plans for City to use it during downtime or the construction project ?

Very good public facilities.
Unfortunately, Manchester Rangers folded because the RFL (who are actually now on the same site) didn’t want Manchester to move up the leagues and denied them a licence for the third tier.

Unfortunately, Manchester Rangers folded because the RFL (who are actually now on the same site) didn’t want Manchester to move up the leagues and denied them a licence for the third tier.
What was the RFLs reasoning.

I would've thought a thriving progressive club in an expanding community would've been good for their sport.

Politics of envy and fear of success.....sounds familiar !!

Same here. I'm going to try Diecast on a match day. I suspect a lot of City fans heading to the match via the NQ will try it. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are plenty of traditional pubs and bars around it. Ancoats Square is just up the road. And there is Cask, etc in New Islington.
Cask is excellent and the location on the Waterfront is like being in Venice.

What was the RFLs reasoning.

I would've thought a thriving progressive club in an expanding community would've been good for their sport.

Politics of envy and fear of success.....sounds familiar !!
They were more interested in clubs like Toronto Wolfpack and Toulouse Olympique than a club with a history of winning the league title and two Challenge Cups (when they were Broughton Rangers).

Rangers were getting crowds of over 300 in the 9th tier of rugby league. They had the backers to easily flourish, long-term, up to Super League level. They had a stadium that was better than some SL grounds. I even think the backers were forwarding ideas to coincide home games at the athletics stadium with City home games (say City kicked off at 12.30, Rangers would kick off at 15.00 and allow City ST holders in).

Yet the RFL basically stuck two-fingers up at them. Maybe Manchester was just too Northern and English for the RFL?

The hoardings now show how little room there's going to be behind the north stand site. Hopefully the new entrances dont over crowd the area.

Yes. The space in-between the hoardings is very tight leading to and from Joe Mercer Way and the Etihad tram stops. Unless it's managed properly it will end up being a large bottleneck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.