North Stand Expansion

De Vries, “We cannot easily expand the (Etihad) stadium beyond 60,000 (62,000)

So City have looked at expanding the Etihad further, but expanding the CBS and ES would be difficult and costly. Is that what De Vries is alluding to? Would that further expansion, if it ever happens, include the (much discussed) stadium wrap?

I don't read too much in those comments. It's clearly a challenge to expand the side stands considering the logistics. The structural elements mean it's not a simple case of building a new stand and then tying them in - there's quite a lot more to it than that. Perhaps they could still do it that way, but an off-season doesn't seem like anywhere near long enough to get things done to ensure the stand is operational for the majority of the time. I'd expect a significant closure period. Real and Barca have vacated to get works done to theirs, and we'll work out the best options to do it.

For the time being then logically we maximise the revenue from what we've got. If we're still competing with rivals then there's probably no need to do anything more. If we're falling behind then we'll probably push the button. But it's one for a fair few years away in my opinion. I don't believe the club will be satisfied having a ground that's so far below other European teams in terms of capacity though. They want to be the best in all elements of footballing operations so I would expect them to have the desire to get us up to 75-80,000 at some point.

Maybe VR season tickets becoming a thing and the club don't bother expanding. Why put millions into construction when you can just let people pretend they are there! It's what rag fans have been doing for decades.

The quotes never referred to a season ticket waiting list, just that 120,000 people were trying to get tickets for every home game.

This could simply mean that when they opened up the flood gates for members to buy tickets earlier last summer, with many games being available, that a peak of 120,000 were logged on at once trying to get tickets.

I think that’s believable.
There’s no such thing as a ST waiting list. The 120,000 will be the matchday members. Only matchday members can buy season tickets when some are released so it’s sometimes referred to as the waiting list. In reality the vast majority are matchday members because they just want to buy tickets occasionally. There’s no way of knowing how many would buy a ST given the opportunity, but if I had to guess I’d say 10,000.

There’s no such thing as a ST waiting list. The 120,000 will be the matchday members. Only matchday members can buy season tickets when some are released so it’s sometimes referred to as the waiting list. In reality the vast majority are matchday members because they just want to buy tickets occasionally. There’s no way of knowing how many would buy a ST given the opportunity, but if I had to guess I’d say 10,000.

Enough to fill NSL2 or the vacated seats around the rest of the ground, season ticket cost dependent.

Happy yo be corrected as I don't work in construction or architecture.

Expanding the CBS and ES would have to be from the back up, outwards, building into the spirals, and altering and rebuilding the roof?
Yes, the 3rd tier could be expanded up and back, although not by much as it would need to stop shy of the steelwork for the existing roof. I'm guessing they could build the required new roof above the existing old parts and tie it into the new S & soon to be N roofs. They would then remove the cablenet and the remaining two pieces of old roof and make good. There would be space to add seats in the 4 corners to complete the bowl then.

Yes, the 3rd tier could be expanded up and back, although not by much as it would need to stop shy of the steelwork for the existing roof. I'm guessing they could build the required new roof above the existing old parts and tie it into the new S & soon to be N roofs. They would then remove the cablenet and the remaining two pieces of old roof and make good. There would be space to add seats in the 4 corners to complete the bowl then.

Similar to the South stand expansion. The only difference being the spirals adding complexity to the build, and the much larger roofs.

Similar to the South stand expansion. The only difference being the spirals adding complexity to the build, and the much larger roofs.
The main difference I'd say will be the cablenet as it's holding up the N, E & W roofs right now. They would need to prop up the leading edge of the E & W roofs, remove the cablenet (not a small job in itself) and then remove the two roof sections and all four temporary corners (and complete the four corners?). I think the new roofs and the expanded seating could be built during a season but the demolition would need to be during off season and I couldn't begin to guess on a timescale for that.

Sorry if already mentioned, but once the North Stand is finished, will we see LED screens in the South Stand corners to reflect the North?

The E and W 3rd tiers are at a shallower angle than the South stand. Maybe the plan could be to take down the existing 3rd tiers completely and replace with new steeper ones like the south stand. Could get more rows in without getting too far away from the pitch and would look more in keeping with the rest of the stadium.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.