Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

Clichy just needs to get his act together again. He has played brilliantly for us in the past but has been poor for a while now. I don't think its due to his age I think he just needs to push himself harder.

Kolarov is not good enough against the top teams. He can't defend well and is not very mobile, poor on the ball and one dimensional going forward. He is useful when he can whip in crosses and for his freekick ability but a LB needs to be capable of defending and he is just not up to our standard.

I haven't seen Sandro or Kurwaza or any of the LB's we have been linked with but getting a middling aged one in this summer aged 24-26 would be ideal to either compete with Clichy or replace him if he cannot find his form. Then we possibly have Angelino coming back into the squad in a year or two as competition once Clichy moves on.

Kolarov has an attitude which STINKS. clichy grafts but I think is very prone to complacency. He would be first choice for me and bring in a young player as understudy next season, if that be Angelino then that's great if not then we have to look elsewhere. Crucial position

Not been a huge Clichy fan for a few years now since he f'ed up and gave RVP the FK he won the game with against us. He's fast but his defending itself is very unreliable. I love Aleks' left foot.. it's fun to watch him send balls into the box -- anyone we replaced him with would be a step backward in that regard, but he's often a liability and is very temperamental as someone mentioned. I've wanted us to focus on this position for a few seasons now and think it's needed now more than ever before given their ages.

Last year when Clichy was getting all the starts, I thought he did pretty well. Sure he isn't great, but it is difficult to be great at every position on the pitch. Sometimes good is good enough. Then once Clichy went down, we started having a lot more issues defensively, but I felt we did a bit better on the attack. I'm far from at tactictal expert, but if you are going to have a weakness on the pitch, LB is probably the easiest to mask.

Both were patchy last season although Kolorov finished the season ok.

If I had a choice I would sell Kolorov and bring in a better left back than clichy. He can be back up.

We seem to be overlooking our problem areas last season again in the transfer market. Chelsea won the league for a reason, their defence was excellent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.