Overseas support

callumcity said:
The only thing I have a problem with is all the American fans we're getting who pretend they know what they're talking about, use their own made up terms and comment on YouTube videos talking about how we should sign Ronaldo and rooney. E.g. " City should totally sign Cristiano Ronaldo, that guys awesome he's exactly what we need. Did you see his 360 flip kick the other day".

They also say shit like cleats instead of boots and steal instead of tackle. It makes my fucking blood boil. Other than this though, I have no problem with anybody supporting city as long as they don't pretend they've been a fan since we were "shit" and have no decent local team to support. Even if we take the piss out of United for all their fans coming from Asia, down South or Ireland.

Pisses me off when people don't support the team from where they're from as well. No need for twts in London to support united when they must surely have a decent local team.

Haha "cleats" and "steal."

To be fair, there are quite a few very solid American fans with a lot of knowledge of/respect for the game, though. I've lived over here since the late 90's and even back then there was always a subculture who knew and respected the game. Went out of their way not to call it "sawccer" and whatnot. It is actually the most-played sport of all at the youth level here and has been that way for a long time.

I'm selfishly glad to see so many American fans come on board these past few years. That plus NYCFC probably means a summer tour I can easily get to at least every other year!

IcriedwhenTueartleft said:
You blues in and around Manchester have it easy, my son and I come down for 4/5 home games every season from Edinburgh (not a lot I know but it's expensive for us as we stay overnight) and by god we treasure those trips, being at the stadium, mixing with other Blues, seeing City....it's fantastic...it's painful for us not being able to go to very home game.
Half the trouble is trying to pick the games and organising the train and hotel, you can't book too early because the games that you plan to go to get moved for TV and that can bugger up the train etc etc...we end up having to watch the likes of Hull/Norwich because you know those types of games won't get switched by BT or Sky for TV purposes.
Plus, as he is at school still we can only really go to games on a Saturday.
Love coming down for the games and have always been treated extremely well by the locals..
Thanks to De Niro for his kind words...

i just say it as i see it mate. others will disagree but those are my thoughts on it.

sir baconface said:
I dislike "glory hunters" as much as the next person. But let's not kid ourselves; it's a knee-jerk reaction with no real logic in the modern context.

Try a little quiz. How many of the following were born, raised or have family connections in Manc?

- The owner
- The Chairman
- The Chief Exec
- The Director of Football
- The manager
- The first team squad
- Past legends, e.g. The King, Bert Trautmann, Kinky and the Goat?

Answer: three fifths of fcuk all. Substitute England for Manchester and we might find a couple of cuckoos in the nest. Because we are just a ship sailing under a flag of convenience. The only connections with Manchester are the ground location, the traditional fan base and the leasehold on club history.

Now someone please prove me wrong because it pisses me off to make this post.

I'm Chilean and I have no shame in saying I'm a fan because of Pellegrini. As I told other blues from the forum, it's really great for to (finally!) watch the Premier League from a non-neutral point of view. I've followed Pellegrini's managerial career since the 90s and I haven't liked all of his teams (much less becoming a fan) but I plan on going to the Etihad on February and maybe even sneak at Stamford Bridge to the see the blues beat the chavs.

I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do. My girl is coming with me (we're both huge fans of The Smiths) and it would break my heart if we don't enjoy our short time there because someone might believe we're "glory hunters" or our English is not good enough. It's short sighted. I lived in Argentina for a while (the same thing goes in Brazil believe me) and people would openly ask me which club I supported (River obviously). They expected me to follow one of their clubs, as simple as that. And the main reason is because this or that Chilean player had a connection to this or that club. These tourists described on this board might be fans of a particular player and they'll remember how they were treated and how great a time they had supporting the club.

That's why great clubs like Madrid or (gasp) Barcelona continue to be popular globally. When I visited Madrid's museum a while back they would still talk to me about Zamorano, despite the fact it was almost 20 years ago he played there. Same for Salas in River Plate. That's how you build a brand and, believe it or not, loyalty (!) outside the M60.

Ascetic said:
sir baconface said:
I dislike "glory hunters" as much as the next person. But let's not kid ourselves; it's a knee-jerk reaction with no real logic in the modern context.

Try a little quiz. How many of the following were born, raised or have family connections in Manc?

- The owner
- The Chairman
- The Chief Exec
- The manager
- The first team squad

Answer: three fifths of fcuk all. Substitute England for Manchester and we might find a couple of cuckoos in the nest. Because we are just a ship sailing under a flag of convenience. The only connections with Manchester are the ground location, the traditional fan base and the leasehold on club history.

I'm Chilean and I have no shame in saying I'm a fan because of Pellegrini. As I told other blues from the forum, it's really great for to (finally!) watch the Premier League from a non-neutral point of view. I've followed Pellegrini's managerial career since the 90s and I haven't liked all of his teams (much less becoming a fan) but I plan on going to the Etihad on February and maybe even sneak at Stamford Bridge to the see the blues beat the chavs.

I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do. My girl is coming with me (we're both huge fans of The Smiths) and it would break my heart if we don't enjoy our short time there because someone might believe we're "glory hunters" or our English is not good enough. It's short sighted. I lived in Argentina for a while (the same thing goes in Brazil believe me) and people would openly ask me which club I supported (River obviously). They expected me to follow one of their clubs, as simple as that. And the main reason is because this or that Chilean player had a connection to this or that club. These tourists described on this board might be fans of a particular player and they'll remember how they were treated and how great a time they had supporting the club.

That's why great clubs like Madrid or (gasp) Barcelona continue to be popular globally. When I visited Madrid's museum a while back they would still talk to me about Zamorano, despite the fact it was almost 20 years ago he played there. Same for Salas in River Plate. That's how you build a brand and, believe it or not, loyalty (!) outside the M60.

Hi Ascetic

I wouldn't worry about getting a poor reception in Manchester. Most Blues will be impressed that you have travelled such a long way to support the lads. You will be even more welcome with a Pellegrini T shirt on.

In recent weeks I have invited Italian and Dutch supporters to games and they all had a good time.

You may need to be a bit more careful if you are visiting places associated with the Smiths (such as the Salford Lads Club) where it is a bit rougher.

Ascetic said:
I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do.

You are visiting one of the great cities of the UK, one with a rich and powerful history, a vibrant popular culture and a proud, hard-working population reflecting such a deep heritage and traditions. You will be welcomed and you can look forward to having a great time here.

1961_vintage said:
Ascetic said:
I hope visiting Manchester will be a great experience, I really do.

You are visiting one of the great cities of the UK, one with a rich and powerful history, a vibrant popular culture and a proud, hard-working population reflecting such a deep heritage and traditions. You will be welcomed and you can look forward to having a great time here.

thats a great post mr stringer.

Think it great people from all over the place want to support City .i have met & still in touch from City Fans far & wide .as in all walks of life you will get people saying stuff that you object to .by & large City fans are a very welcoming & acodomdating bunch that is why fans from out side Manchester keep coming time & time again because they feel so welcome & have a great time

I started following in 2010 as it was the first year I had access to regular pay TV. I have always liked football, played it when I was younger but never had opportunities to watch it, nor any friends to enjoy it with. So it was mainly international games you would follow - so it was players like Ronaldo, Zidane, Baggio that we mostly knew about. Football is getting bigger in Australia but is still far behind Australian Rules Football and Sniff 'n' Push (Rugby League) especially in Far North Queensland where I moved to in my teens.

I support the Carlton Blues in the AFL, as my family does and always has, and the Melbourne Victory in our football league, as that is where I grew up. So when you are born into a club its strange to try and pick one to support...the blue part made sense, I never liked the other team, and to be honest watching all the videos of fans chanting (e.g. ballotelli's song) and seeing that sense of humour made me want to be a part of it. And yes. the fact the club was competing for trophies was a draw card.

So for the last four years I have been staying up til 1am or getting up at 4:30 to watch games before work and would love to be able to watch games at the pub on a Saturday/Sunday arvo or better yet regularly go to games. I've been to one game when I visited the UK in 2013. I took my Kiwi mate (who ONLY watches Union) to the end of January QPR away fixture - the only game I was able to get too. I couldn't get two tickets with the city fans so we went incognito in the home fans section. Being the tourists we were we bought match day scarves. After getting lost outside the ground afterwards we were set upon by 10 or so angry QPR youths ( they got a draw, I mean they should have been laughing) as we had the sky blue part of the scarves showing more than the royal....Although we couldn't understand a word they were saying and likewise, we managed to talk our way out of what was probably going to be a hiding, and managed to get safely back to the train station...and that was my cold rainy intro to football in the UK...later I found out my Kiwi mate could have got us tickets to the Liverpool home fixture but he (conveniently) forgot because the six nations was on...

Plans are for a 2 year visa - so can't wait to try and get to a home game :)

Tim of the Oak said:
Ascetic said:
sir baconface said:

- The owner
- The Chairman
- The Chief Exec
- The manager
- The first team squad

Hi Ascetic

I wouldn't worry about getting a poor reception in Manchester. Most Blues will be impressed that you have travelled such a long way to support the lads. You will be even more welcome with a Pellegrini T shirt on.

In recent weeks I have invited Italian and Dutch supporters to games and they all had a good time.

You may need to be a bit more careful if you are visiting places associated with the Smiths (such as the Salford Lads Club) where it is a bit rougher.

Cheers Tim of the Oak. I've been reading and enjoying the great advice of "Morrissey's Manchester" so I'm well aware ;)

Nevermind that living and having done business in Latin America I can tell you about rough.

And I'm well aware as well of the proud cultural heritage of Manchester. Looking forward to have a few pints with whoever wants to join us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.