Owning a nice watch

Couldn’t give a toss about inheritance tax as we don’t have kids but the appreciating asset line is something I’m telling myself to justify my desire for an Explorer…

Technically not only is it then free, it’s actually making me money…

Having said that the prices of watches are starting to fall compared to the last couple of years.
I had the white dial explorer and i traded it in against a Rolex deep sea ( blue/black dial ) 2 years ago,i paid £7,000 for the explorer and got £10,000 for the trade in,but prices have dropped this last 18 months and you would not get anything near £10,000 now,i paid a total of £15,000 ( minus the trade in ) for the deep sea but now they are going for about £12,000,i would advise buy now while the prices are down and sit on it as in the long run you wont lose on a Rolex.

I had the white dial explorer and i traded it in against a Rolex deep sea ( blue/black dial ) 2 years ago,i paid £7,000 for the explorer and got £10,000 for the trade in,but prices have dropped this last 18 months and you would not get anything near £10,000 now,i paid a total of £15,000 ( minus the trade in ) for the deep sea but now they are going for about £12,000,i would advise buy now while the prices are down and sit on it as in the long run you wont lose on a Rolex.
I saw an interesting thing recently on rolex. They use to be very expensive and produced in low numbers so rare.

They are now among the top selling brands. There are possibly casio models from recent years that are rarer than Rolex.

The mass production of high end watches is why the values are falling.

Bought a Planet Ocean this morning which should be with me on Monday.

Like a kid at Christmas now waiting.

You must be mad...

Couldn’t give a toss about inheritance tax as we don’t have kids but the appreciating asset line is something I’m telling myself to justify my desire for an Explorer…

Technically not only is it then free, it’s actually making me money…

Having said that the prices of watches are starting to fall compared to the last couple of years.
Go for it get the explorer :)

Bought a Planet Ocean this morning which should be with me on Monday.

Like a kid at Christmas now waiting.

Nice, enjoy

I know it's a million miles from an Omega or a Rolex, but I've just bought a Citizen CZ Gen-2 hybrid.
I wanted a decent watch but I've never seen one that screams "BUY ME!!" I was considering a Citizen Eco-Drive and while looking I saw the hybrid.
I'd never heard of hybrid watches and did some digging. Citizen have a couple, and other makes such as Garmin, Tissot, Kronaby, Fossil and Withings have a wider range.
Essentially it's a smart watch with analogue hands. There are fewer "smart" features than on a full smart watch but the battery life is about a month rather than a day or two. The face appearance can be changed via an app and historic health data such as steps are also stored in the app. If the phone disconnects from the app it retains data for a couple of weeks at least and updates the app when connection is re-established.
The limiting factor for some reviewers is the lack of a second hand, and this seems to apply for almost all hybrid watch manufacturers.
There are several styles available (with out without bezel, different straps/bracelets)
I bought the one below and have it showing pulse, steps, day/date and battery level.

Edit: The link goes to the page for the range rather than the individual model. The one I have is top left on the page.

Last edited:
I know it's a million miles from an Omega or a Rolex, but I've just bought a Citizen CZ Gen-2 hybrid.
I wanted a decent watch but I've never seen one that screams "BUY ME!!" I was considering a Citizen Eco-Drive and while looking I saw the hybrid.
I'd never heard of hybrid watches and did some digging. Citizen have a couple, and other makes such as Garmin, Tissot, Kronaby, Fossil and Withings have a wider range.
Essentially it's a smart watch with analogue hands. There are fewer "smart" features than on a full smart watch but the battery life is about a month rather than a day or two. The face appearance can be changed via an app and historic health data such as steps are also stored in the app. If the phone disconnects from the app it retains data for a couple of weeks at least and updates the app when connection is re-established.
The limiting factor for some reviewers is the lack of a second hand, and this seems to apply for almost all hybrid watch manufacturers.
There are several styles available (with out without bezel, different straps/bracelets)
I bought the one below and have it showing pulse, steps, day/date and battery level.

Edit: The link goes to the page for the range rather than the individual model. The one I have is top left on the page.

Enjoy. Citizen watches are really under appreciated they are packed with features and, unlike Swiss watches, keep good time.

Last edited:
Enjoy. Citizen watches are really under appreciated they are packed with features and, unlike Swiss watches, keep goid time.
I don't think the hands rely on a standard mechanical drive as they automatically change when crossing time zones.
Also, both hands point to the 9 when displaying notifications from the phone such as texts, emails, weather updates etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.