Pelligrini's tactics.

The simplified version of his tactical style by the Zonal Marking guy:

Flexibility in formations

Manuel Pellegrini is not a system-based manager who sticks to a rigid formation – he's flexible with his shape, building a side that suits his best attacking talents. At Villarreal he moved between a fluid 4-4-2 and a more dangerous 4-3-1-2 that allowed Juan Román Riquelme to play in his favoured role behind the strikers; at Real Madrid it was either a midfield diamond or a 4-2-3-1; at Málaga his favoured 4-2-3-1 has occasionally given way to more of a 4-4-2.

The task at Manchester City is supposedly to build a side in a 4-3-3 in line with the wishes of the sporting director, Txiki Begiristain. Pellegrini has limited experience with that formation, but his flexibility suggests it would not be a problem from his point of view. Instead, the issue would be with the squad, as Roberto Mancini has built a side based around packing the centre of the pitch – the Italian has always harboured a distrust of wingers, and City's narrowness was obvious in the 1-0 FA Cup final defeat to Wigan on Saturday.

A love of playmakers

The Chilean has constantly put great emphasis on classic playmakers. The Argentinian No10 Andrés D'Alessandro was briefly the hottest property in South American when he thrived under Pellegrini at River Plate, and one of the Chilean's most significant acts at Villarreal was to embrace Riquelme despite his apparent unsuitability for European football, and his lack of impact at Barcelona.

Pellegrini's experience at Real Madrid in 2009-10 was problematic – the £56m signing Kaká was underwhelming and he would probably have preferred the club to keep hold of Wesley Sneijder, who became Europe's most consistently creative midfielder that season. Getting the best from Cristiano Ronaldo became Pellegrini's priority, amongst bitter political squabbles.

His experience at Málaga has been more familiar – Santi Cazorla, who also played under Pellegrini at Villarreal, was his standout performer last season, while Isco has replaced Cazorla superbly. The faith he has placed in Joaquín and Javier Saviola, not playmakers but technical talents previously assumed to be finished at the highest level, shows his love of technical players. David Silva might become an even more pivotal player.

Structured, cautious attacking

Despite his emphasis upon technique, there is also a caution about Pellegrini's sides – they attack intelligently and methodically rather than frantically. Chile's current footballing style might be based around relentless attacking – Claudio Borghi and Jorge Sampaoli have continued Marcelo Bielsa's work – but having spent a decade in Europe, Pellegrini feels more like a Spanish coach than a Chilean coach.

His sides are also capable of defending solidly in two banks of four, and playing in a reactive and defensive manner. There is little doubt Pellegrini would embrace positive football at City, but he prefers controlled dominance rather than constant waves of attack.

European mentality

Mancini looks sure to be dismissed on the back of an FA Cup failure, but his real problem at Manchester City has been his poor European record. Two consecutive first-round exits – even if City were drawn in difficult groups – was an embarrassing record, whereas Pellegrini is the only coach to have taken two Champions League debutants, Villarreal and Málaga, to at least the quarter-final stage.

In Europe, Pellegrini's sides are very patient. The Villarreal side that came so close to the European Cup final in 2006 may have boasted Riquelme, but they scored only eight goals in their 12 Champions League games, instead depending upon a secure defence. This season, Málaga's impressive attacking secured their passage to the knockout stage, but against Porto and Dortmund they played cautiously and attacked sporadically. City will be less naive in Europe than under Mancini.

Project manager

Although Pellegrini's managerial career has been characterised by short stints at clubs, he's not a "quick fix" manager that will thrive with a disparate group of players that need to be knocked into shape – his experience at Real Madrid demonstrated that. "No one ever asked me anything about how to create a team capable of playing the kind of football I wanted to play," he complained at the time.

Pellegrini would not have full control over transfers at City, but he and Begiristain would need to co-operate to purchase players that will be used to their full potential. At both Villarreal and Málaga, Pellegrini helped to shape the style of the club and create a defined identity, something that has felt missing under Mancini – when City have frequently appeared weaker than the sum of their parts.

Singintheblues said:
Can't say his tactics can me that good, what silverware has he bright to any club he's been attached to. A real step backwards!!

bit upset by your appointment of moyes then?

thought you'd have been at your parade today?

Seems if he uses wingers we will see Eddie staying he will be a top goal machine if that happens we said it last season as well we needed wingers because that is what effects us most width.

Moonmir said:
ayrshire_blue said:
As i posted on another thread, from what I've seen of Malaga the club play with a very similar style to what we already do, and at times have faced the same problems with a lack of urgency, and being slow and laboured.

I disagree. I've seen Malaga playing several times and they play really entertaining football as Real did under Pellegrini! Love the man! :)
Agreed..me being Chilean and being one of my fav coaches..he does play super attacking he doesn't go backwards as much as we do now the pace of play is very quick his attacking midfielders are given free reign to go out wide or cut in but there's always movement in and around the ball while playing a more attacking style of possession.. He preaches "respect the ball"..and his quick style was effective against dortmund who we couldn't handle for the life of us..if we have him I'm more than confident that we will advance into the champions league knock out stages..his Real Madrid team played like lighting earning 96 points at the time 2nd most in la liga history.. And his style was very effective with the likes of Julio Baptista Joaquin Jeremy Toulan and ROQUE SANTA CRUZ!!..imagine what he'll do with aguero silva yaya and throw in isco which to me is a package deal and if he land Cavani..I think we'll win the premier league next season and for sure be in the knock out stage..

Remember he was 1 or 2 offside calls no called to playing Madrid in semi finals!

@GuillemBalague: Love the "he hasnt coached in England" arguments.Yes,foreign coaches come from Mars where they play with 3 balls. U either are a good or not

eddiemarin09 said:
Moonmir said:
ayrshire_blue said:
As i posted on another thread, from what I've seen of Malaga the club play with a very similar style to what we already do, and at times have faced the same problems with a lack of urgency, and being slow and laboured.

I disagree. I've seen Malaga playing several times and they play really entertaining football as Real did under Pellegrini! Love the man! :)
Agreed..me being Chilean and being one of my fav coaches..he does play super attacking he doesn't go backwards as much as we do now the pace of play is very quick his attacking midfielders are given free reign to go out wide or cut in but there's always movement in and around the ball while playing a more attacking style of possession.. He preaches "respect the ball"..and his quick style was effective against dortmund who we couldn't handle for the life of us..if we have him I'm more than confident that we will advance into the champions league knock out stages..his Real Madrid team played like lighting earning 96 points at the time 2nd most in la liga history.. And his style was very effective with the likes of Julio Baptista Joaquin Jeremy Toulan and ROQUE SANTA CRUZ!!..imagine what he'll do with aguero silva yaya and throw in isco which to me is a package deal and if he land Cavani..I think we'll win the premier league next season and for sure be in the knock out stage..

Remember he was 1 or 2 offside calls no called to playing Madrid in semi finals!
He might even keep Dzeko and get him to his best!

I put this on another thread but malaga have 54 pts and a goal diff of 4.if he is a master tactician with the likes of isco in the team how has that happened?

karen7 said:
I put this on another thread but malaga have 54 pts and a goal diff of 4.if he is a master tactician with the likes of isco in the team how has that happened?

Just a foreign Harry Rednapp but with less success.

BlueMoonoverUS said:
@GuillemBalague: Love the "he hasnt coached in England" arguments.Yes,foreign coaches come from Mars where they play with 3 balls. U either are a good or not

Yes, and of course Bobby had extensive coaching experience in England before coming to City...!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.