Pelligrini's tactics.

RandomJ said:
A lot of people trying to convince themselves he is different when really he just seems the same. If we must lose Mancini then at least do it for a manager who has a radically different approach to the game not someone who adopts the exact same style.

Yeah, and with that radically different approach lets bring in four or five new midfielders and a couple of extra defenders, oh, and a new centre forward too, who can all play this new style of football. Behave.

Small tweeks to our style of play and an ability to change tactics to get us out of the hole that we've found ourselves in when we've come up against certain teams/formations/tactics is pretty much all we need. We're not such a bad team you know.

I'll be honest, I've not been banging the drum for Mancini to be replaced, far from it infact, I was all for stability and believed he ought to be given at least another year, but after Saturday when Wigan showed the watching world how easy it is to negate our one and only tactic and the couldn't-car-less attitude shown in the performances of almost all of our players in what was the most important match of our season, even I came to realise that something everything wasn't rosey.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
nimrod said:
Ive always admired The Pro's & Cons but The Wall seemed a bit wayward in places

His crowning glory though was Dark Side Of The Moon, lyrically superb

[bigimg]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323221-07DC47FB000005DC-833_634x413.jpg[/bigimg]

I love your musical user name. you can't beat a bit of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters or some Elgar!!

are you still wearing those big glasses, and Wilbur must be pretty old by now :)

Regardling Pelle, all this talk of him motivating a bunch of paupers players not getting paid, can he motivate a bunch of millionaires...<br /><br />-- Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 pm --<br /><br />Regardling Pelle, all this talk of him motivating a bunch of paupers players not getting paid, can he motivate a bunch of millionaires...

Elephant_Man said:
Darkhorse writes:

I don't know much about Pelligrini so I might be wrong, but from what I have seen and read it seems to me that his tactics may not be all that different to Mancini's. There was a video posted in the Mancini/Pelligrini thread where Pelligrini explains his favourite tactics, which seemed to be 4-2-2-2.

I find it interesting that with many people annoyed about our lack of width, that our potential replacement for Mancini might have a similar philosophy.

Pellegrini's system is not as rigid as Mancini's. The attacking 'interiores' move at will to the wide positions if the full-backs are unavailable. Conversely, if the opposition's back-four 'park the bus' to restrict space in the middle of the park, Pellegrini's full-backs have plenty of space in-front of them to run into attacking positions. It is this adaptability that allows Malaga to play progressive, pass-and-move football; they can keep possession by finding triangles through the centre as well as distributing the ball wide thanks to the full-backs.

To me, your description sounds very much like the way we play, at least the way we played last year. But, I take from your description and others that Pellegrini's teams tend to be a bit more dynamic than Mancini's.

A sidenote: I am not sure why a lot of people seem to accuse Mancini of being tactically inflexible. The man has his faults, but lets remember that: we played a 4-5-1 with him initially to get into the top 4; played a 4-2-2 when he recognised we needed more goals to win the title; he continuously tried to buy a direct winger/attacking midfielder (sanchez, hazard, milos krasic), but did not get them; and, when he realised - as many others did - that we needed an alternative to the 4-4-2, he tried to drill our players on the 3-5-2, which had varying success.

I feel we might have short memories.

Still, this season was looking very stale and I can understand reasons for the change. Personally, I am not certain whether we should be making a change, but if I had to choose a realistic replacement, it would be Pelligrini.

For me, I will remember Mancini by the first six months of the 2011/12 season. That was some of the best football I have seen any side play.

Darkhorse said:
A sidenote: I am not sure why a lot of people seem to accuse Mancini of being tactically inflexible. The man has his faults, but lets remember that: we played a 4-5-1 with him initially to get into the top 4; played a 4-2-2 when he recognised we needed more goals to win the title; he continuously tried to buy a direct winger/attacking midfielder (sanchez, hazard, milos krasic), but did not get them; and, when he realised - as many others did - that we needed an alternative to the 4-4-2, he tried to drill our players on the 3-5-2, which had varying success.

I feel we might have short memories.

Still, this season was looking very stale and I can understand reasons for the change. Personally, I am not certain whether we should be making a change, but if I had to choose a realistic replacement, it would be Pelligrini.

For me, I will remember Mancini by the first six months of the 2011/12 season. That was some of the best football I have seen any side play.
Problem is though is that we seem to have been completely incapable of reproducing that type of football for any stretch of games since those first 6 months, teams have adjusted to that style and Mancini has failed to change it for 18 months.

ste.sully said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
His achievements in transforming Villarreal in a relatively short space of time is quite staggering, he's clearly a great tactician. His he a better manager than Mancini? Only time will tell. After a lot of thinking recently, I wanted to see Mancini get a shot at one last CL campaign and a chance to reclaim the title, but one things for sure I would welcome Pellegrini with open arms.
I think what he did at Villarreal was miraculous. Probably the best over achieving team in Europe in the last 15 years.

His Villarreal and his Malaga sides are two most successful debutant teams in CL history.

I have read this post and have found myself nodding my head to a lot of the comments, great discussion happening here.

In my opinion Pellegrini is a really exciting prospect, I look at the way certain teams around Europe have been playing such as his Malaga, Ajax, United and without a doubt Dortmund, and tell myself this is just efficient football. They use pace on the wings, creativity (short passes) through the middle and have the striker make great runs through the middle taking their chances. However I think Manuel might not be needed and all Mancini needs to do is change his football philosophy.

What many have observed which has been very common this season (painfully shown against Wigan), is City slowing down their play to do these passes back to Yaya then out to the wider players such as Nasri, Clichy, Silva and Zaba then City losing possession when a shot is taken or Aguero is dispossessed, because the opposing team has been given time to set their 2 banks of 4 defenders...

I'm not sure if Mancini implemented this or he has been told to play this Tika-Taka football style but its hell as sure not effective. If we have a player such as Messi we can do this however for us its just so labored and this has without a doubt been shown in Cities past two Champions League campaigns. To get the best out of Kun we must play faster football and have other players drag defenders away from the striker...

This is why we need wingers! A team which has set the Europe alight and ripped up their respective league this season (Bayern) do play the style we kind of do (with possession based football) but instead of over passing in around the opponents penalty box, they have two blazing wingers pulling the defenders away from the goal and creating chances, not improving their passing rate percentage!

A problem for City if we do buy a winger in the upcoming transfer window is our problem is always trying to play with 2 strikers meaning as someone said before Nasri, Silva, Milner are going to miss out. Its not being effective at the moment and I cant think of top teams in Europe atm utilizing this system, United where the closest it seems Kagawa (or someone else) is going to play behind RVP in the future and with Rooney most likely on his way out.

With all this said, I'm really gutted for Mancini and I just wish he has one more season to save himself and show his haters what he can do....

Can't say his tactics can me that good, what silverware has he bright to any club he's been attached to. A real step backwards!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.