pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
adammck said:
Our owners would take Pep in a heartbeat.

Of course they would. That's not the issue. The issue is whether he's available or likely to be available in the near to medium term future. I'd like to think that question has been asked and we're in the know about his future intentions. I believe Pep to be the type of person who wouldn't string us along as say a Mourinho would, because we can't afford to wait for him if he's committed to Bayern imo.

hgblue said:
because we can't afford to wait for him if he's committed to Bayern imo.

What makes you say that?

I think we have a perfectly capable title winning manager in charge already. Albeit he's going through a bit of a bad spell as the side are but the international break has done wonders to restore a bit of perspective.

In terms of replacing Pellegrini, it just seems a long way off at present and the shortlist would be Klopp and Pep - beyond that you may as well just write five names like De Boer, Simeone, Koeman, Tuchel, and Garcia down and pick one of them out of a hat.

Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:

What makes you say that?

I think we have a perfectly capable title winning manager in charge already. Albeit he's going through a bit of a bad spell as the side are but the international break has done wonders to restore a bit of perspective.

In terms of replacing Pellegrini, it just seems a long way off at present and the shortlist would be Klopp and Pep - beyond that you may as well just write five names like De Boer, Simeone, Koeman, Tuchel, and Garcia down and pick one of them out of a hat.

I don't see Pellegrini as the man to take us to the next level, more a safe pair of hands until we appoint the man who will.

I already have, and Simeone came out ;).

hgblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:

What makes you say that?

I don't see Pellegrini as the man to take us to the next level, more a safe pair of hands until we appoint the man who will.

The 'next level' makes for nice forum rhetoric but it's meaningless in reality. Pellegrini's record in the champions league is ten times better than City's. His record in the premier league is one season, two trophies. Baring that in mind, whatever the 'next level' is, if we're not there it's because as a team and a club we're not ready to be there. Not because of the manager.

Sadly for you there's more chance of Lavinda Past becoming City's manager than Simeone. Not that I don't rate him but it's just highly unlikely. Pellegrini will get another shot next season with a much improved squad to the one we currently have. Succession plans are nice in theory, but in practice I would expect the entire club to be focussed on the upcoming two transfer windows to help give the manager the tools he needs to get the club to the 'next level'.

Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
What makes you say that?

The 'next level' makes for nice forum rhetoric but it's meaningless in reality. Pellegrini's record in the champions league is ten times better than City's. His record in the premier league is one season, two trophies. Baring that in mind, whatever the 'next level' is, if we're not there it's because as a team and a club we're not ready to be there. Not because of the manager.

Sadly for you there's more chance of Lavinda Past becoming City's manager than Simeone. Not that I don't rate him but it's just highly unlikely. Pellegrini will get another shot next season with a much improved squad to the one we currently have. Succession plans are nice in theory, but in practice I would expect the entire club to be focussed on the upcoming two transfer windows to help give the manager the tools he needs to get the club to the 'next level'.

I'm not sure he will get another shot, mate.

Certainly if this malaise continues and there is a lot which can happen between now and the summer.

Still the calm before the storm for me. He's a gentleman and I don't see him receiving much of a rough ride (outside of this forum, anyhow).

Between now and mid January, having also had the outcome of the 3rd round of the FA Cup, a more appropriate landscape will be in evidence.

Unless we back him with serious intent in January, I think the owners are once again in a 'suck it and see' Mancini holding pattern.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Certainly if this malaise continues and there is a lot which can happen between now and the summer.

Still the calm before the storm for me. He's a gentleman and I don't see him receiving much of a rough ride (outside of this forum, anyhow).

Between now and mid January, having also had the outcome of the 3rd round of the FA Cup, a more appropriate landscape will be in evidence.

Unless we back him with serious intent in January, I think the owners are once again in a 'suck it and see' Mancini holding pattern.

My feelings come from the innate belief that everyone hasn't overnight become shit and unsettled working with Pellegrini. I'd expect a serious upturn in league form and I expect us to mount a title challenge which goes to the final couple of months of the season. Seems a distant prospect now but I don't believe Chelsea to be good enough to go the season unbeaten.

You are right about the next 6/8 weeks allowing for the lay of the land to be fully digested. I just think at the end of that period we'll be much more optimistic than we currently are.

In terms of business in January. Only Barkley would be worth the money/hassle. Everyone else we should wait until the summer for. Unless we get out of our CL group, in which case I might revise that slightly!

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:

If that happens we basically write off another season as we did in 12/13, the players will be familiar with the "dead man walking" scenario and it gets reflected on the pitch. Unless the execs have a nailed on replacement lined up for the summer it may be better to be ruthless if form doesn't improve between now and mid-Jan.

lancs blue said:
If that happens we basically write off another season as we did in 12/13, the players will be familiar with the "dead man walking" scenario and it gets reflected on the pitch. Unless the execs have a nailed on replacement lined up for the summer it may be better to be ruthless if form doesn't improve between now and mid-Jan.

I actually agree with that point of view wholeheartedly. It was stupid to leave Mancini in charge for four months knowing you were going to sack him and the exact same applies to Pellegrini. IF, and it's a huge IF which to me right now isn't likely, things go absolutely tits up in the next 6 weeks, then just fire him straight away and move on.

I personally think it's much more damaging to the club, to moral, and even to future planning, to have a guy in charge you know you're going to sack.

Mister Appointment said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

My feelings come from the innate belief that everyone hasn't overnight become shit and unsettled working with Pellegrini. I'd expect a serious upturn in league form and I expect us to mount a title challenge which goes to the final couple of months of the season. Seems a distant prospect now but I don't believe Chelsea to be good enough to go the season unbeaten.

You are right about the next 6/8 weeks allowing for the lay of the land to be fully digested. I just think at the end of that period we'll be much more optimistic than we currently are.

In terms of business in January. Only Barkley would be worth the money/hassle. Everyone else we should wait until the summer for. Unless we get out of our CL group, in which case I might revise that slightly!

I think the biggest indictment at present is we don't know what to expect from this team in terms of both performance or results?

There are plenty of examples in sport where individuals or teams can still be considered a top-level performer, based on what has previously come to pass, but are not really capable of reaching the same heights.

I am a huge tennis fan and Federer is a freak of nature, a craftsman, good enough to beat most, but I know deep down it is Djokovic who is now calling the tune.

You have rightly pointed out in the past that there is no happy medium with this City team. It is either on a different planet or giving the impression of strangers who have met for the first time.

Perhaps both Manuel and this group of players need to have these questions now posed of them to see how we progress as a club, with or without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.