pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Perhaps both Manuel and this group of players need to have these questions now posed of them to see how we progress as a club, with or without them.

I think Khaldoon entered the equation after CSKA home debacle, so in that sense I've no doubt that the requisite questions have been asked and everyone knows what is on the line and what Sheikh Mansour expects.

Although I fully understand why it can be levelled at us that this team has peaked, I don't actually believe it's true anymore than I believe that Mourinho's original Chelsea team peaked as soon as Terry/Lampard/Drogba hit 30. I think the key is motivation and the question which needs to be asked of at least three or four in our dressing room is, do they still have the motivation because the ability they sure do. Those who don't should be moved on asap.

That's probably the bigger challenge because there might be some painful medicine we have to take in moving certain players on.

Mister Appointment said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Perhaps both Manuel and this group of players need to have these questions now posed of them to see how we progress as a club, with or without them.

I think Khaldoon entered the equation after CSKA home debacle, so in that sense I've no doubt that the requisite questions have been asked and everyone knows what is on the line and what Sheikh Mansour expects.

Although I fully understand why it can be levelled at us that this team has peaked, I don't actually believe it's true anymore than I believe that Mourinho's original Chelsea team peaked as soon as Terry/Lampard/Drogba hit 30. I think the key is motivation and the question which needs to be asked of at least three or four in our dressing room is, do they still have the motivation because the ability they sure do. Those who don't should be moved on asap.

That's probably the bigger challenge because there might be some painful medicine we have to take in moving certain players on.

Motivation is the key word.

It is only my opinion, and players can derive motivation from many character traits, but I don't feel inspired enough by Manuel.

It's a sweeping brushstroke, but I do think we would see markedly improved levels of performance from Toure, Fernandinho, Nasri, Zaba, if they were playing under a Pep or Mourinho?

The argument against this is the present manager has clearly got inside Aguero's head, to the point he is playing his best football in a City shirt to date.

Horses for courses. Comes down to the present balance of the squad for me. How many are game-raisers?, how many need an arm around them?, and how many just aren't good enough, regardless?

Where is the professional pride as well.

Surely someone like Yaya must look at the players he playing against and think no way is he anywhere near as good as me and want to prove that. I not having a go at Yaya just using him as an example, it applies to any player.

Everytime we have played the rags in the last 4 years you can see that Vinny is adament that Rooney will not get anything.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

It is only my opinion, and players can derive motivation from many character traits, but I don't feel inspired enough by Manuel.

It's a sweeping brushstroke, but I do think we would see markedly improved levels of performance from Toure, Fernandinho, Nasri, Zaba, if they were playing under a Pep or Mourinho?

The argument against this is the present manager has clearly got inside Aguero's head, to the point he is playing his best football in a City shirt to date.

Horses for courses. Comes down to the present balance of the squad for me. How many are game-raisers?, how many need an arm around them?, and how many just aren't good enough, regardless?

I think the reality is that Pep and Mourinho are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to football managers. And even those two have their failures in terms of players who just didn't or couldn't work under them. Our public perception of what inspires us is different to the reality behind the scenes. The problem is when the public narrative begins to seep into the privacy of the dressing room.

Again I just don't think we're there yet. Yes the sight of Pellegrini in the rain at QPR looking like he had seen a ghost was fodder for the tabloids and the supporters, but we don't know what he said to the players at full time. You can be sure of one thing though, he didn't pat them all on the back and say "well at least you tried". Manuel is a big guy and for all the nice guy narrative in the public domain, he is capable of being a ruthless **** behind the scenes.

As you rightly point out, he's getting the best out of Kun, and for me that alone is enough to ensure everyone involved should stop and think before writing him off as a manager. I think the game raisers or the ones who i believe have the talent but not the motivation can be counted on two fingers. Of the rest I think most of the ones I'd like to see replaced simply aren't good enough for that mythical 'next level'.

The idea that Mourinho's teams never take a dip in results & his players never lose form is pretty ridiculous tbh.

I remember the rags winning titles they shouldn't have, when he did exactly that.

He would never get Zabba, Yaya, or Fernandinho playing better than they did last season. He would never be able to guarantee they didn't lose form after a world cup.

And he has a whole shedload of players who have lost all form once signing for him, & needed to escape to save their careers, some of whom he paid fortunes for.

It's all getting very tabloid imo.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Absolutely motivation is the key. Take Mourinho at Chelsea and the two high profile casualties in Luiz and Mata. These two were by all accounts popular in the dressing room, and were certainly fans favourites, but Mourinho obviously identified them as mentally weak or not hard working enough. Their removal sent out an important message to the rest of the squad and demonstrates that you don't necessarily have to totally overhaul a squad to effect a change in mentality. Just a couple of well targeted high profile victims is usually enough.

hgblue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:

Absolutely motivation is the key. Take Mourinho at Chelsea and the two high profile casualties in Luiz and Mata. These two were by all accounts popular in the dressing room, and were certainly fans favourites, but Mourinho obviously identified them as mentally weak or not hard working enough. Their removal sent out an important message to the rest of the squad and demonstrates that you don't necessarily have to totally overhaul a squad to effect a change in mentality. Just a couple of well targeted high profile victims is usually enough.

I like Mourinho a lot but he isn't the barometer for football managers as far as I'm concerned. With regards Luiz and Matic, I suspect mentality played second fiddle to the fact that neither player is actually good enough for a team wanting to win the title in England.

Mister Appointment said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:

I think the reality is that Pep and Mourinho are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to football managers. And even those two have their failures in terms of players who just didn't or couldn't work under them. Our public perception of what inspires us is different to the reality behind the scenes. The problem is when the public narrative begins to seep into the privacy of the dressing room.

Again I just don't think we're there yet. Yes the sight of Pellegrini in the rain at QPR looking like he had seen a ghost was fodder for the tabloids and the supporters, but we don't know what he said to the players at full time. You can be sure of one thing though, he didn't pat them all on the back and say "well at least you tried". Manuel is a big guy and for all the nice guy narrative in the public domain, he is capable of being a ruthless c**t behind the scenes.

As you rightly point out, he's getting the best out of Kun, and for me that alone is enough to ensure everyone involved should stop and think before writing him off as a manager. I think the game raisers or the ones who i believe have the talent but not the motivation can be counted on two fingers. Of the rest I think most of the ones I'd like to see replaced simply aren't good enough for that mythical 'next level'.

Pep and Mourinho are the exception, there is no chance of Mourinho. If we think there is a good chance of Pep then barring a meltdown we should wait 18 months, better that and get Pep with us because he will come to England and we don't want to be playing against Pep and Mourinho teams.

Neville Kneville said:
The idea that Mourinho's teams never take a dip in results & his players never lose form is pretty ridiculous tbh.

I remember the rags winning titles they shouldn't have, when he did exactly that.

He would never get Zabba, Yaya, or Fernandinho playing better than they did last season. He would never be able to guarantee they didn't lose form after a world cup.

And he has a whole shedload of players who have lost all form once signing for him, & needed to escape to save their careers, some of whom he paid fortunes for.

It's all getting very tabloid imo.
Yup, Mourinho can only motivate people for a short space of time, he is pretty much the master of making a siege mentality, having one or two years of winning titles, but then it all completely going to shit after 2 years. We are currently in Mourinho's second season, which is always his best. He has never sustained his motivation beyond that, anywhere, his third season is invariably a complete disaster with all his creative players getting sick of being made into workhorses and demanding to leave.

To suggest he would be better for keeping winners motivated after a title win is pure nonsense, as that's pretty much what he continually fails to do.

blueparrot said:
Pep and Mourinho are the exception, there is no chance of Mourinho. If we think there is a good chance of Pep then barring a meltdown we should wait 18 months, better that and get Pep with us because he will come to England and we don't want to be playing against Pep and Mourinho teams.

Neither man is untouchable and I would prefer Jurgen Klopp over them both for many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.