pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigOscar said:
Neville Kneville said:
The idea that Mourinho's teams never take a dip in results & his players never lose form is pretty ridiculous tbh.

I remember the rags winning titles they shouldn't have, when he did exactly that.

He would never get Zabba, Yaya, or Fernandinho playing better than they did last season. He would never be able to guarantee they didn't lose form after a world cup.

And he has a whole shedload of players who have lost all form once signing for him, & needed to escape to save their careers, some of whom he paid fortunes for.

It's all getting very tabloid imo.
Yup, Mourinho can only motivate people for a short space of time, he is pretty much the master of making a siege mentality, but then it all completely going to shit after 2 years. We are currently in Mourinho's second season, which is always his best. He has never sustained his motivation beyond that, anywhere, his third season is invariably a complete disaster with all his creative players getting sick of being made into workhorses and demanding to leave.

To suggest he would be better for keeping winners motivated after a title win is pure nonsense, as that's pretty much what he continually fails to do.

He won back to back titles at Porto, Chelsea and Inter, it's only Madrid he failed to do it with, so I would say the second part of your statement isn't that accurate. :)

However, he didn't have a major competitor at any of the 3 clubs, Benfica were at a low point, Scum were a very young side at the time and Juve had been relegated and were yet to re establish themselves. I also agree that he has it yet to prove that he can continually develop and evolve a team as Ferguson and Ancelloti have done, but other high intensity, low rotation managers such as Klopp, Guardiola and Brenda (plus plenty more) have also had this problem.

hgblue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mister Appointment said:
I think Khaldoon entered the equation after CSKA home debacle, so in that sense I've no doubt that the requisite questions have been asked and everyone knows what is on the line and what Sheikh Mansour expects.

Although I fully understand why it can be levelled at us that this team has peaked, I don't actually believe it's true anymore than I believe that Mourinho's original Chelsea team peaked as soon as Terry/Lampard/Drogba hit 30. I think the key is motivation and the question which needs to be asked of at least three or four in our dressing room is, do they still have the motivation because the ability they sure do. Those who don't should be moved on asap.

That's probably the bigger challenge because there might be some painful medicine we have to take in moving certain players on.

Motivation is the key word.

It is only my opinion, and players can derive motivation from many character traits, but I don't feel inspired enough by Manuel.

It's a sweeping brushstroke, but I do think we would see markedly improved levels of performance from Toure, Fernandinho, Nasri, Zaba, if they were playing under a Pep or Mourinho?

The argument against this is the present manager has clearly got inside Aguero's head, to the point he is playing his best football in a City shirt to date.

Horses for courses. Comes down to the present balance of the squad for me. How many are game-raisers?, how many need an arm around them?, and how many just aren't good enough, regardless?

Absolutely motivation is the key. Take Mourinho at Chelsea and the two high profile casualties in Luiz and Mata. These two were by all accounts popular in the dressing room, and were certainly fans favourites, but Mourinho obviously identified them as mentally weak or not hard working enough. Their removal sent out an important message to the rest of the squad and demonstrates that you don't necessarily have to totally overhaul a squad to effect a change in mentality. Just a couple of well targeted high profile victims is usually enough.

This may be moving away a bit from the subject of tread but the question of whether a manager like Pep of Mou would inspire the players just because of their stature is an interesting one.

My own view on motivation is that the manager of a top team should not have to concern himself overly with motivating players: the players recruited for a club like ours should largely be self-motivated. If the players need a Churchillian speech before each game, they are the wrong players and the best solution is probably to get rid of them; which may be what Mou was doing in your example. This is just my view on management of people, in any walk of life, but good people motivate themselves and a manager's job is to make sure that give them the support to achieve and that they do not demotivate them. Obviously that is an oversimplification and there is a place for providing leadership, part of which is to provide a vision to staff that they want to buy into, which, frankly, at MCFC should not be that difficult.

salfordpaul said:
is coming to city in two years time, that is all ! all done ! haters plaese avoid this thread. munich is a stop gap at the moment. i will take the accolades in 2 years!

Hope so mate!!

If he does It'll be interesting to see if the achievements with us match the hype ! everyone fawns all over good old Pep like he's the second coming of the messiah - WE SHALL SEE !

Navas15 said:
salfordpaul said:
is coming to city in two years time, that is all ! all done ! haters plaese avoid this thread. munich is a stop gap at the moment. i will take the accolades in 2 years!

Hope so mate!!

I like the way Bayern Munich is merely a stop-gap before he joins the mighty Manchester City!

aguero93:20 said:
BigOscar said:
Neville Kneville said:
The idea that Mourinho's teams never take a dip in results & his players never lose form is pretty ridiculous tbh.

I remember the rags winning titles they shouldn't have, when he did exactly that.

He would never get Zabba, Yaya, or Fernandinho playing better than they did last season. He would never be able to guarantee they didn't lose form after a world cup.

And he has a whole shedload of players who have lost all form once signing for him, & needed to escape to save their careers, some of whom he paid fortunes for.

It's all getting very tabloid imo.
Yup, Mourinho can only motivate people for a short space of time, he is pretty much the master of making a siege mentality, but then it all completely going to shit after 2 years. We are currently in Mourinho's second season, which is always his best. He has never sustained his motivation beyond that, anywhere, his third season is invariably a complete disaster with all his creative players getting sick of being made into workhorses and demanding to leave.

To suggest he would be better for keeping winners motivated after a title win is pure nonsense, as that's pretty much what he continually fails to do.

He won back to back titles at Porto, Chelsea and Inter, it's only Madrid he failed to do it with, so I would say the second part of your statement isn't that accurate. :)

However, he didn't have a major competitor at any of the 3 clubs, Benfica were at a low point, Scum were a very young side at the time and Juve had been relegated and were yet to re establish themselves. I also agree that he has it yet to prove that he can continually develop and evolve a team as Ferguson and Ancelloti have done, but other high intensity, low rotation managers such as Klopp, Guardiola and Brenda (plus plenty more) have also had this problem.
He builds his team up to reach their peak in the second season, then it falls apart after that. If the league he is in is weak enough, then he wins the title in the first year as well as part of the building process, but he never manages to keep his team at the top of their game after that second season. He either bails or fails after that.

Our men at the top know him well enough, and that has a very strong bearing on where he stands when his Bayern contract expires. My only worry is that his two clubs are/were in already dominant positions when he landed those jobs, whereas if he came to us then he would likely need to do a re-building job to match, let alone dominate, at least four other clubs in our own league, and the pressures will be strong. We may need to recruit another name before then if Pellegrini lets things slip. Who, I don't know, but Simeone is the latest to be linked and his current players know how to scrap for their results, and perhaps he could be the next manager until Pep finally decides his time at Bayern is over.

I'm no cynic said:
Our men at the top know him well enough, and that has a very strong bearing on where he stands when his Bayern contract expires. My only worry is that his two clubs are/were in already dominant positions when he landed those jobs, whereas if he came to us then he would likely need to do a re-building job to match, let alone dominate, at least four other clubs in our own league, and the pressures will be strong. We may need to recruit another name before then if Pellegrini lets things slip. Who, I don't know, but Simeone is the latest to be linked and his current players know how to scrap for their results, and perhaps he could be the next manager until Pep finally decides his time at Bayern is over.

I'm by no means a frequent La Liga watcher but isn't Simeone tactically more of a 'build from the back' kind of manager? I'd be surprised if the powers that be appointed a defensively minded manager when Pellegrini was apparently appointed in order to get us playing a more attacking style of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.