Peter Fletcher and stewards (merged)

We can talk all day long about smoking and areas and life time bans but it doesn't address the problem at heart and that is over zealous stewarding and ejections and subsequent bans with a complete lack of recourse.

We need to organise ourselves with a designated spokesperson and fully put forward our arguments and suggestions as to how this can be avoided in the future and make it abundantly clear that if this situation of random and unfair ejections carries on, we will as a group of fans organise protests that will leave the club in no doubt as to how serious we are. Non violent at all times and as has been suggested, the bars and kiosks are the first thing to boycott. A pic of a florescent jacket was put on last night but think about a south stand with everyone wearing one as a visible protest and the impact it would have as the national press would be all over it. We have to hit the club where it hurts to begin with and that's financially.

We are all selfish bastards at heart and many will take the view, fuck em, it isn't me affected and i don't give a shit but the real story here is it could well be you next...then your brother or your dad etc.

If City can provide absolute proof of an offence then fine but the fact that Mr Fletcher just wont and spouts his only defence of "i believe my steward" says to me he is making it up as he goes along and is on very rocky ground should a legal challenge go in.

I have e-mailed Danny Wilson who i got to know on the South Africa trip and i have made him fully aware of this thread and the sheer bad feeling that this man and his attitude is causing and i have made him fully aware that this wont just blow over should the club decide to just try and ride it out. They need to act as the day will soon come when groups of lads in the South Stand wont sit by and watch people getting thrown out and the very real possibility of violence will rear its ugly head and that isn't being over dramatic. Mr Fletcher and City need to realise this isn't a them and us situation, we are as one, we are all City and this battle will soon turn into a war which nobody wants.

City are busy alienating a hell of a lot of fans here and we have to stand together and make sure it stops.

I don't smoke and never have btw.

The club will never put in a pen for smokers to use.

I'm not sure if everyone realises it but the whole area around the stadium, (such as the spirals) has a ban on smoking attached to them.

The club could never go back on that, as the Council has a hand in this as well. This is not about the club being concerned for the health and safety of the public, this is ALL about a legal requirement and a need to ensure they don't suffer litigation against them.

The fact that secondary smoke is now recognised as being harmful means that every organisation in the country has to be aware of that and act accordingly to protect their own staff against harm... or suffer the legal consequences.

This is what it is all about.

I think When Jose takes over we should see a reduction in smoking related incidents, less stress and anxiety will be the main cause.

Is it really that bad in some areas of the ground? I won't say where I sit, but smokers regularly have a half time smoke on the spirals at most games and I've never seen one steward having a go.

Soulboy said:
The club will never put in a pen for smokers to use.

I'm not sure if everyone realises it but the whole area around the stadium, (such as the spirals) has a ban on smoking attached to them.

The club could never go back on that, as the Council has a hand in this as well. This is not about the club being concerned for the health and safety of the public, this is ALL about a legal requirement and a need to ensure they don't suffer litigation against them.

The fact that secondary smoke is now recognised as being harmful means that every organisation in the country has to be aware of that and act accordingly to protect their own staff against harm... or suffer the legal consequences.

This is what it is all about.

For what its worth i agree but it isn't the issue. The issue is over zealous and downright dishonest stewarding led by a man that seems unable to grasp the concept of fairness and evidence and who is completely incapable of being professional.

-- Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:45 am --

allan harper said:
I think When Jose takes over we should see a reduction in smoking related incidents, less stress and anxiety will be the main cause.

Absofuckinglutely! ;-)<br /><br />-- Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:47 am --<br /><br />
Edwardio said:
Is it really that bad in some areas of the ground? I won't say where I sit, but smokers regularly have a half time smoke on the spirals at most games and I've never seen one steward having a go.

I can only vouch for the south stand as its where i sit but i would guess that its the south stand that is being singled out here for a reason.

Nothing to do with trying to change the demographics of the fanbase of course......

blueinsa said:
We can talk all day long about smoking and areas and life time bans but it doesn't address the problem at heart and that is over zealous stewarding and ejections and subsequent bans with a complete lack of recourse.

We need to organise ourselves with a designated spokesperson and fully put forward our arguments and suggestions as to how this can be avoided in the future and make it abundantly clear that if this situation of random and unfair ejections carries on, we will as a group of fans organise protests that will leave the club in no doubt as to how serious we are. Non violent at all times and as has been suggested, the bars and kiosks are the first thing to boycott. A pic of a florescent jacket was put on last night but think about a south stand with everyone wearing one as a visible protest and the impact it would have as the national press would be all over it. We have to hit the club where it hurts to begin with and that's financially.

We are all selfish bastards at heart and many will take the view, fuck em, it isn't me affected and i don't give a shit but the real story here is it could well be you next...then your brother or your dad etc.

If City can provide absolute proof of an offence then fine but the fact that Mr Fletcher just wont and spouts his only defence of "i believe my steward" says to me he is making it up as he goes along and is on very rocky ground should a legal challenge go in.

I have e-mailed Danny Wilson who i got to know on the South Africa trip and i have made him fully aware of this thread and the sheer bad feeling that this man and his attitude is causing and i have made him fully aware that this wont just blow over should the club decide to just try and ride it out. They need to act as the day will soon come when groups of lads in the South Stand wont sit by and watch people getting thrown out and the very real possibility of violence will rear its ugly head and that isn't being over dramatic. Mr Fletcher and City need to realise this isn't a them and us situation, we are as one, we are all City and this battle will soon turn into a war which nobody wants.

City are busy alienating a hell of a lot of fans here and we have to stand together and make sure it stops.

you are spot on, i have approached this subject before at city, we need a voice to get the message across, not just on this subject any subject that is causing the club to alinate fans.
with the fair play shit we need numbers growing at city and we need them to be happy and willing to spend.
they can't rely on our blind faith forever.

we have entered the most exciting period since 1968 and we should all be enjoying it not be shit scared of taking a leak or swearing at a shit ref.
we also have to respect rules and regulations cos we are offending then any voice we do elect can't defend us.<br /><br />-- Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 am --<br /><br />
Edwardio said:

thats how it should be, they are doing no harm to anyone if they use the spirals.

good on the stewards.

the club on the whole are ok with stuff like this, they now of course allow a standing section, both against the law but they turn a blind eye(mostly).

as always finding a balance, like smoking on spirals, is the best way forward

de niro said:
blueinsa said:

you are spot on, i have approached this subject before at city, we need a voice to get the message across, not just on this subject any subject that is causing the club to alinate fans.
with the fair play shit we need numbers growing at city and we need them to be happy and willing to spend.

we have entered the most exciting period since 1968 and we should all be enjoying it not be shit scared of taking a leak or swearing at a shit ref.
we also have to respect rules and regulations cos we are offending then any voice we do elect can't defend us.

-- Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 am --

Edwardio said:

thats how it should be, they are doing no harm to anyone if they use the spirals.

good on the stewards.

the club on the whole are ok with stuff like this, they now of course allow a standing section, both against the law but they turn a blind eye(mostly).

yeah, it's when there's 3 or 4 stewards and a bunch of smokers at the top of the spirals who are smoking between the concourse and the outside toilet in the spiral so you still have to walk through it.

the ground's non-smoking, even if you don't agree with the smoking ban it's there, so I just can't understand like with everything else you can't just stick to the law.

For me I think the fact it's City means people don't really take it seriously because they think they're safe there, so I think legal proceedings need to be brought on smokers caught so they fully understand that they are breaking the LAW, not just stadium rules.

de niro said:
I would print on season cards that if found smoking you are banned for life so they know the score from day one.

As soon as a non-smoker is banned for life under your scheme then the system has completely failed.

Many people took exception to your comments and I wouldn't normally reply too, but I felt so strongly about what you wrote that I had to put my views in.

I couldn't agree more about smokers in the toilets being deeply selfish - but this isn't the way to deal with it.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
de niro said:

we also have to respect rules and regulations cos we are offending then any voice we do elect can't defend us.

-- Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 am --

good on the stewards.

yeah, it's when there's 3 or 4 stewards and a bunch of smokers at the top of the spirals who are smoking between the concourse and the outside toilet in the spiral so you still have to walk through it.

the ground's non-smoking, even if you don't agree with the smoking ban it's there, so I just can't understand like with everything else you can't just stick to the law.

For me I think the fact it's City means people don't really take it seriously because they think they're safe there, so I think legal proceedings need to be brought on smokers caught so they fully understand that they are breaking the LAW, not just stadium rules.

JMW, it os not breaking the law smoking on the Spirals. It was posted on here a couple of months ago I think from 1 of the POB meetings. Against the law inside the ground, on the Spirals it is not against the law. It's something Manchester City Council advised on and City agreed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.