PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The more I speak to people surrounding City, the less I am fretting.

It's as if we already know we will be more than fine.

I'm not going to invest much more angst into this, as everything else is just partisan and misinformed bollocks.

Our summer transfer window could make Chelsea's January one resemble a car jumble.
And on this I think I’ll put this out of my head until any real further developments occur.

That last bit though. Can you imagine the sheer bitterness and stomach churning anger they’ll all display if we go and absolutely batter the transfer market after all their excitement the last few days?

What a club.

100% this would NOT qualify as serious irregularity
You have said yourself that, even for some of the most distinguished lawyers in the country, the power of rational thought and reasoned debate goes out of the window when discussing this topic. So how can a self-confessed supporter and member of one of the organisations that stand to gain the most from us being found guilty be the chair of the panel? Regardless of whether he will or won't be biased, it simply doesn't look right.

mate that is a feeling but we cannot go to court with feelings. if we are wronged as per the rules we can go the court. the rules are pretty tight. the panel has to follow english law and the panel has to follow fairness and its own rules regarding that. if we think they are not then we

Thanks for that.

I note the following at para 17 and 18:

'But it is equally well established that the High Court retains a supervisory jurisdiction over such decisions, and the approach to be adopted is essentially that which the Administrative Court would adopt in public law cases'.

"The most important point, as it seems to me, is that it (that is to say the court's supervisory jurisdiction) is supervisory. The function of the court is not to take the primary decisions but to ensure that the primary decision maker has operated within lawful limits. It is a review function very similar to that of the court on judicial review … In each case the essential concern should be with the lawfulness of the decision taken, whether the procedure was fair, whether there was any error of law, whether any exercise of judgment or discretion fell within the limits open to the decision maker, and so forth."

I am in the legal field and have studied administrative law. The principles to be applied in our matter (should we get an adverse finding) are very similar to public law cases. That is, we would be arguing that the panel made a number of errors of law, and that the exercise of judgement based on the evidence was manifestly unreasonable and therefore unlawful.

This means we have a long way to go in this matter. For a start, there must be procedural fairness. This of itself means there will be debates about evidence etc. before we even get to the point of a hearing.

Overall, I still have the feeling the PL have bitten off more than they can chew. The decision to attack City, while they consider may burden us for years, may very well come back to bite them, and given the looming White Paper could well see independent regulation of the PL, which to my mind can't come soon enough.
I agree, And I was thinking overnight about the general approach of the courts not to dive into the substance which private body tribunals rule on too. That make perfect sense in the medical world, or architecture, wherever, as judges just don't have the technical knowledge. In this case though, it is going to turn on stuff the courts deal with every day. The high xourt may very well get hands on and if the PL do a half arsed job then then stuff in your last para is very relevant.

I was also reading up on the Arsenal fan. I am quite encouraged by his background and I think it will be difficult for him to not do a good job, he's got the perfect background for a case like this. So maybe we might not have need for the high court....

Anyway, crap having to even think about this as a footie fan!

Where possible, and I know it's hard, dump or minimise your exposure to the media. One golden rule - never watch the news first thing, sets the tone for your whole day. You will feel so much better.
Correct

We all know how the media/press have us as the big bad wolf and want to discredit anything about us

I

They're all full of shit, imagine the media interest boost & crowds we'd bring the the EFL.
course they would take us in a heartbeat! the 98/99 season was the first time TV companies over trialled PPV matches one was Oxford v Sunderland in div 1 the others were both City away at Colchester and Bristol Rovers, every team we played away got their highest attendance v City, could you imagine now the TV and sponsors would be falling over themselves

Cheers. Any good news is welcome. I started off thinking our club Will successful oppose this & win. But day by day that optimism is being eroded - the media does that!! The latest being that our transfer strategy is now going to be wiped out too!!

It’s hard being a blue but I’ll keep thinking about how I was at Gillingham final :). :)
Day by day? It was only announced on Monday, 48 hours ago, you're going to be a wreck by the end of the many months (if not years) of wrangling over this.

Won't cross reference projectriver as he must be getting bombarded but he stated earlier that serious penalties are not serious irregularities ( the implication being there would be no grounds for appeal).
However what about serious penalties that are not commensurate with the breach I.e. 'the punishment does not fit the crime'.
Surely City would have a right to appeal outside of the PL process if they felt this to be the case?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.