PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

PL charges were seemingly rushed out due to an expected announcement about a Government appointed Regulator which the EPL and 19 of its members do not want. The Regulator question has been deferred by a few weeks. I’m struggling with two questions :-
1. Do the charges brought against City (and the unseemly pile on by rival clubs and media interests) make a Regulator more or less likely ?
2. If a Regulator is appointed, what impacts would it have (if any) on the proceedings against City ?
I’m thinking a Regulator may now be more likely, very interested in people’s views on this and what would be best for City.

It's politics really.
Announcing charges to prove that the PL are capable of self-regulation had to be done prior to the govt White Paper (delayed as you noted).
I don't think it affects the likelihood of a regulator (I won't hold my breath on one appearing_), but it's the PL trying to justify special treatment.

None at all, even if one was appointed overnight. The charges are laid, a regulator would have difficulty justifying scrapping them.
Realistically though, it will be a long time before a Regulator arrives - this is just the discussion paper, it's not a formal proposal. I would be amazed if one is in place before 2025.

This scenario makes sense as anti competitive as it is with Newcastle being the latest perhaps to begin a journey to rattle the cage if their money trail and acumen of the owners is near ours however we have done ok without an independent regulator since 2008.

Are you suggesting Tolmie that this action by the Premier League is more politically motivated than a simple matter of us supposedly breaking rules when we knew what the rules were to force a change in the way the Premier League is overseen?

It's a power play by the Premier League, pressured in to keeping the investigation open despite the CAS verdict by the usual suspects.

The majority of the rest will come along for the ride, so long as it doesn't impact their own finances.

If taking out City is also part of the equation, then they are cool about that.

It's self-preservation. No difference to the mafia killing one of their own, despite attending weddings of family, they won't think twice.

The government will back off if the Premier League are seen to be so righteous as to kill the Champions of England.

The rule book changes every year, so you need to cross reference the rule book from the specific year the charges relate to. Obviously we haven't actually been charged with things like grass length.
Although it does look like we're charged with not entering the fa cup ;)

The closest you get to see about how the club feels will be clear to see in Pep’s demeanour in Fridays press conference. If he is bullish he’s been given good, strong news, which he believes, if he isn’t then god help us

He's always fucking miserable,so that won't help my mind the way his demeanour is Friday I'm afraid

Leterme is as dirty as they come. Also sits (or at least sat) on one of the VW Group boards which obviously ties in nicely with Bayern. What he has to say on the matter means fuck all.
What bullocks. Leterme sat on the sustainibility board.
Volkswagen is owned mostly by Porsche, the German region Lower Saxony (20%) and Qatar(17%). If you want to build conspiracy theories I would build some with that informations.

Can I help you? Doesn't a qatar group want to buy United?

The closest you get to see about how the club feels will be clear to see in Pep’s demeanour in Fridays press conference. If he is bullish he’s been given good, strong news, which he believes, if he isn’t then god help us
I’d buzz if Pep said the club have come up with some “ridiculous” tactics to deal with it all.

What bullocks. Leterme sat on the sustainibility board.
Volkswagen is owned mostly by Porsche, the German region Lower Saxony (20%) and Qatar(17%). If you want to build conspiracy theories I would build some with that informations.

Can I help you? Doesn't a qatar group want to buy United?
Sorry, who are you defending Bayern,VW or Leterme with a big list of allegations against him? That man is dishonest and has worked with the Qataris. Qatar Airways are still a Bayern commercial partner last I looked(official airline partner). Not sure how much of a motive that is though. That's more relevant to the PSG "mistake" when he somehow failed one of the biggest parts of his job: "Oh... So QTA is overvalued???... Must have missed that, sorry boss". I just don't think he can be trusted on his word. He has said the Premier League have a stronger case against City in general, seems far more vocal than he was about PSG(did he not comment or did he comment but nobody cared?), who were actually let off on a technicality.

Last edited:
He might also be exasperated by the affair regardless of what he has been told.
I don’t see him going before the end of his contract as I believe he will have been told it’s a continuation of the witch-hunt, which he has referenced himself a number of times
I would be surprised if he was bullish, whatever he has been told

We can't do now it's gone to far,got to smash the cartel to bits and and take no shit,otherwise it will just carry on,id rather us get relegated than accept any settlement from the bastards...
Agreed. Love that vinnie standing up for us and with us. No way can we settle and take “a pinch” as we did before as this won by cheating crap we are all getting from other fans will just go on forever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.