Play Youth Against Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if we do. Taken from the City site.
"Normally this might pave the way for a host of first-team debuts for some of the season’s standout players at under-21 level on Sunday but Patrick Vieira's City EDS have their final Barclays u21 Premier League encounter against Manchester United on Saturday."

I personally think we should play our best xi in both games.

WNRH said:
Mancini was sacked, Pellegrini was brought in because of the infamous word "holistic"

So they got rid of a manager who gave SIXTEEN Academy graduates their debuts and replaced him with someone who has given only TWO.

Regardless of the quality of the SIXTEEN Mancini gave debuts to, he gave them a chance, whether that was an important game like Boyata v United in the League Cup semi or Reece Wabara for a few mins in a dud end of season game v Bolton.

If he doesn't give another Academy graduate his debut on Sunday it's an absolute disgrace. I'd rather we would have spent £200m on stars rather than our fancy new shiny Academy if that is what we are only bothered about.

No doubt someone will come back and say "it's a long term project" or "won't see anything for 10 years" which is a load of bollocks, we have quality in our Academy who not only can but also deserve a taste of first team action in a dead rubber game, if the whole Academy cannot see a genuine progression even in a game like this then what is the point?
I fully expect to see 2 (Lopes & Deneyar) plus Kelechi (can't really count him) in the squad for next season. Would that count as success or not? I would argue yes.

I think the players that will be leaving should be given a final appearance so the fans can show their appreciation for what they have done for City. Nasri, Dzeko and maybe Yaya look set to leave and all three have played big parts in our rise to the top.

schfc6 said:
I'd be surprised if we do. Taken from the City site.
"Normally this might pave the way for a host of first-team debuts for some of the season’s standout players at under-21 level on Sunday but Patrick Vieira's City EDS have their final Barclays u21 Premier League encounter against Manchester United on Saturday."

I personally think we should play our best xi in both games.

Outside of being a Derby, this is a nothing game. They're Champions no matter what and we're going to finish the highest 5th and the lowest 8th.

Precious first team are much more important

The players who have won us titles and who will be leaving have earned their send off on sunday,even if you don't like them it seems churlish to not give them that much

Damocles said:
Rodney said:
I am always surprised at the intensity of this debate.

The manager and coaching staff are experienced professionals who must surely recognise when a young lad is ready to be involved.

If they are not being given a run I trust the Clubs judgement, they know the players and they know the issues. If they are ready and good enough I expect them to be involved, if they are not then so be it.

People have mentioned how many Mancini give debuts to in contrast to Pelligrini, it didn't produce many 1st teamers did it?

The manager is a man who shouldn't be the sole decision maker and should be set quotas from above.

In the modern football world, managers have a distinct pressure to favour the known and reliable first teamer over the unpredictable youth no matter how good that youth player may be. In the "win at all costs" era of football, clubs who haven't built a specific philosophy in bringing through young players are having trouble developing one due to this pressure. At Ajax, Barca, United, etc you are forced to bring players through otherwise you'll lose your job. At places like Spurs and Liverpool they can legitimately use them as squad members out of the gates.

Every player in our squad is world class and would walk into 16 teams in the Premier League. Our backup right back who we barely use has been in THREE Premier League Team of the Years and played 300 Premier League and 70 Champions League games who was first choice at the Champions League club Arsenal. At 16 clubs he's their star player, at ours he's replaceable. We're talking about binning off Samir Nasri because he's wank - at most Champions League clubs let alone Premier League clubs he's their best player. There are about 3-5 teams in the entirety of world football who are in our league in terms of talent on the pitch, and 3 who are solidly above us. The rest of the world has our reserve players as their star players.

The idea that any young player in the world outside of the Messi type is going to walk into this team is ridiculous at best and delusional at worst. The loan system does nothing apart from polishing which we could do better at City and get them playing with world class players every day and learning the systems of play that they use rather than getting the shit kicked out of them in the French League as the only creative player on a team of plodders or facing off against the fearsome strikers in the Scottish or Dutch leagues.

So the current scenario is that we have a manager who is pressured to win every point so has a reason to not use the players, no tradition of bringing them through that has been stressed so not enough pressure from above, and no pressure from the players themselves as they don't have the development time needed to play for us and by the time that they do they've spent 5 years on loan and want to leave for guaranteed football.

The system we have is completely broken. Only a fool thinks our youth system is in any way functional. We have brought through no first team squad players since the takeover SEVEN years ago and the fact that we've recently built a new building has distracted people as a "reset point". The excuses that people give don't reflect the reality of the modern City positioning - people have said all season that "games are too important" to be using young players in but we will never again have unimportant games where potential title winning points aren't on the line. Even this absolutely nothing game against Southampton has people saying that we shouldn't give our promising youngsters imported from the best Academies in the world a chance because we might lose.

City managers need courage in the philosophy that Sheikh Mansour wants us to have in terms of bringing through homegrown players or they need to be made to work to quotas of played minutes because SOMETHING needs to change in this respect. The "they'll come through if they're good enough" argument is juvenile and doesn't consider the reality of the talent levels available in the City squad.

Like I said, I am always surprised at the intensity of his debate.

I am sure that Sheikh Mansours philosophy is pretty much utmost in everyone's mind at City. What is happening will reflect that. The rationale for developing homegrown talent is both regulatory (FFP) and economic. At the moment the philosophy is about putting this club in the elite, that means winning games and trophies. If the club needs to meet the regulatory or economic demands by playing homegrown youth it will do so, as in the case of Boyata (who surely has only been retained for his homegrown status). In the absence of such demands the best players available will, and should, be the ones that play.

Not sure why you called my points juvenile.

Rodney said:

I am sure that Sheikh Mansours philosophy is pretty much utmost in everyone's mind at City. What is happening will reflect that. The rationale for developing homegrown talent is both regulatory (FFP) and economic. At the moment the philosophy is about putting this club in the elite, that means winning games and trophies. If the club needs to meet the regulatory or economic demands by playing homegrown youth it will do so, as in the case of Boyata (who surely has only been retained for his homegrown status). In the absence of such demands the best players available will, and should, be the ones that play.

I'm sorry about that, it was a description more of the abstract rather than the specific to you. I've had this argument a lot :)

They should only be picked when they are good enough and have earned there place

At the moment none of them are.

Simple.

Damocles said:
Rodney said:

I'm sorry about that, it was a description more of the abstract rather than the specific to you. I've had this argument a lot :)

No problem mate.

And besides, even if we do lose, there's a chance it might cause Southampton to finish about the dippers, which would be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.