Play Youth Against Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! I've been in this sort of situation, when people get picked to step up into the "bigger leagues" even if its just to train or sit on the bench, your motivation instantly increases as you'd love to be in that position too. We gave Dedryck Boyata his debut in a cup match against Man Utd, I think having a few of the best from the EDS on the bench for a dead rubber wouldn't be as potentially detrimental. For me it's Iheanacho and Maffeo, could maybe make claims for Evans for sentimental reasons and obviously to see what he's actually got.

Damocles said:
Yeah we should prioritise saying bye to Jovetic over the long term development of the club.

I don't think chucking tired, under developed players into games they are no where near ready for will help their development.

The match tomorrow, despite being a dead rubber, is likely to have the EDS's biggest home attendance of the season and a highly charged atmosphere. The boys can learn a lot from it.

moomba said:
chesterguy said:
I do wonder how many of those who are shouting for youth players to play against Southampton have actually seen the players play in the flesh. I have seen a few of the games live and especially in the Porto game it was clear that the boys are not yet ready to step up and play in a Premier league game

Maybe half a dozen live and another half dozen on TV/streams. Personally I think we have quite a few that are ready to take that next step up. We've got an amazing squad of players, adding a couple of youth doesn't make it a bad one.

You really think based on what you have seen that a few are ready to play for a team competing for the league...really!!!!! Did you not watch the Porto game we were completely physically dominated

I wonder how many are wanting the young players to play so that they can counter the arguments with other supporters about not playing youth rather than the considering the development of the players themselves

Don't give a toss what other supporters say. When (if) we start playing kids they'll find something else to slag us off about.

Fair enough I wonder if everyone feels like that

It is clear from comments made by PV that he realises there is a huge gulf between EDS football and the Premier and even MP alluded do it in his conference saying that is is easier for clubs like Southampton to take a chance on young players as they are not expected to be challenging for titles cups and CL

This is why today is an ideal time. No pressure to challenge for titles, cups or CL.

Why is this an ideal time as I say what would we learn from a one off game. City are trying to develop a culture of continued success. Young players develop in the youth team then go on loan ie Guidetti, Denayer Rekik Lopes if they are good enough they will be kept if not they have been in the shop window. Its only by playing regularly in a professional league can we get to know how good these players are likely to be

If we were to play a team full of young players tomorrow what we are likely to learn really. Nothing. It would probably show what we already know that these players aren't ready for this level of football but how can we judge in a meaningless one off game at the end of the season. There may be 1 or 2 individuals who could make the step up but City are trying to create a system for many to develop

I think that's a mistake we've made in the past, playing a B team in cups rather than play the top players with one or two kids in.

When have City played a B side in a cup game?

I would much rather that these players start playing against men teams in pre-season and those who are ready for 1st team football get loaned out and the rest continue to develop under PV. When we are winning the EDS league with players who look like they physically cope with the demands of first team football then is the time for the clamour for yourh to be given a chance to be heard....that time is not now

Winning the U21 league isn't a measure of development for our club. We don't play senior players, and often play underage/U18 players. Playing in pre season is good for the kids, but doesn't come close to the experience they would gain from playing an actual league match. The intensity of a pre-season game would be less than they get at underage level.

What would be seen as a measure of development then. Our better EDS players are on loan playing in the lower divisions the ones who are left have not veen consistent enough. AS I say developing players to play in the Premier league is one thing see Trippier and Mee developing ones who can play in a premier league winning side is a completely different ball game

Damocles said:
Yeah we should prioritise saying bye to Jovetic over the long term development of the club.

As some one I usually find myself agreeing with and who usually has a bigger picture longer term view, why do you think what happens tomorrow has any impact on the development of these players? The ones we are talking about Barker, Angelino, Maffeo are probably 2 years off being first team squad players and will be sent on loan to develop, physically at least, as that's seen as more beneficial than the odd substitute and cup appearance. Plus they have to move on from the EDS to prevent blocking the advancement of the U18s moving up. The same way Lopes,Rekik and Denayer have and these are the ones more likely to be in next years squad.
I know the club are trying to find a better bridge to the first team which is why they support 'B' teams.
Fair enough some would like to see them, it may give them a confidence boost, or it might do the opposite, but for their long term development I don't see how it makes a difference whether they get minutes tomorrow or not.
The only exception would be Iheanacho, as he might stay with the first team next season and would benefit except I think Dzeko is more likely to get some game time if he is leaving.
For me only if none of Lopes , Denayer, Rekik and Inheanacho are in next years squad do we have a problem. Tomorrow doesn't really matter.

chesterguy said:
You really think based on what you have seen that a few are ready to play for a team competing for the league...really!!!!! Did you not watch the Porto game we were completely physically dominated

That would be the game we won. No-one is talking about playing a team of 18 year olds against Southampton.

Why is this an ideal time as I say what would we learn from a one off game. City are trying to develop a culture of continued success. Young players develop in the youth team then go on loan ie Guidetti, Denayer Rekik Lopes if they are good enough they will be kept if not they have been in the shop window. Its only by playing regularly in a professional league can we get to know how good these players are likely to be

They would learn about the intensity of a premier league game, they would learn maybe that there is still a lot more work for them to do to play at that level consistently. They would get a taste of it, and if it were me that would make me hungry to do everything I could to get back there. It would also be a message for other academy players that if you work hard, and continue to improve that might be them one day.

When have City played a B side in a cup game?

Under Mancini we played a few cup games with too many first team players out. Pretty hard for the kids to come into a side that rarely played together.

What would be seen as a measure of development then. Our better EDS players are on loan playing in the lower divisions the ones who are left have not veen consistent enough. AS I say developing players to play in the Premier league is one thing see Trippier and Mee developing ones who can play in a premier league winning side is a completely different ball game

Bringing players into senior football (either at City or elsewhere is what an academy is all about. We could win the U21 league every year, and if it didn't result in players coming through it would be worthless.

Its clear that some people want to play youth without any regard to how ready they are for the step up that is required

Yes they won under against a U21 Porto side but they were completely dominated how do you think they would cope playing a side trying to compete for a Europa league spot with a number of top international players

They need to learn about the intensity of the professional game on a regular basis and those that are ready for that next step have been loaned out to gain that level of experience at a level that is right for where they are in their development that isn't in the 2nd best team in England

I agree about bringing young players through and the CFA has not been built as some sort of white elephant but as I have said trying to bring through players who are good enough for one of the best sides in Europe is not the same as bringing through young players at City pre 2008. If we had been a top 4 pre-2008 the number of youth players to have played for City would have been a lot lower than it was

Why not let the professionals who see these players day in day out decide when is the right time it is in no ones interest to not bring through young talent it just has to be done in a consistent and sustainable way

chesterguy said:
Its clear that some people want to play youth without any regard to how ready they are for the step up that is required

I don't think it's clear at all. More a case that some people think our academy players are more ready than you do.

Yes they won under against a U21 Porto side but they were completely dominated how do you think they would cope playing a side trying to compete for a Europa league spot with a number of top international players

We'll never know unless we give them a try.

They need to learn about the intensity of the professional game on a regular basis and those that are ready for that next step have been loaned out to gain that level of experience at a level that is right for where they are in their development that isn't in the 2nd best team in England

It's one game, no-one is suggesting they have to come in and start 38 matches.

I agree about bringing young players through and the CFA has not been built as some sort of white elephant but as I have said trying to bring through players who are good enough for one of the best sides in Europe is not the same as bringing through young players at City pre 2008. If we had been a top 4 pre-2008 the number of youth players to have played for City would have been a lot lower than it was

Why not let the professionals who see these players day in day out decide when is the right time it is in no ones interest to not bring through young talent it just has to be done in a consistent and sustainable way

Why discuss selections on the internet at all?

Damocles said:

Jovetic shouldn't get game time ever again.

Considering the manager has Aguero, Dzeko, Bony, Ihenacheo who should definitely play before him.

Some of the posts and arguments in this thread are starting to aggravate me.

- Firstly, no one is talking about playing 'a team full of youngsters'. 1 would be a start.

- The youth player(s) don't even have to start. Personally, I wouldn't start any. But again, 1 on the bench would be a start.

- If on the bench, they don't have to play. They would only get subbed on under the right conditions, yet some are reluctant to even name an EDS player as a substitute.

- "These players are nowhere near ready for the first team" - absolute shite. Just how good DO you have to be to play 10-20 minutes at the end of a game? The said debutant will not be asked to score or set up the winning goal, be the last line of defence, conduct and dictate the midfield like Yaya Toure... they'll simply be asked to keep things ticking over, keep it simple, get a few touches and passes and just get a feel of first team football in a possession-based team. ANYONE who has watched the EDS on a few occasions will realise that some of these players are very, very talented for their age group, and have technical ability on a par with many first team players. I just simply do not accept that they all "aren't ready" to get any game time whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.