Play Youth Against Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder how many of those who are shouting for youth players to play against Southampton have actually seen the players play in the flesh. I have seen a few of the games live and especially in the Porto game it was clear that the boys are not yet ready to step up and play in a Premier league game

I wonder how many are wanting the young players to play so that they can counter the arguments with other supporters about not playing youth rather than the considering the development of the players themselves

It is clear from comments made by PV that he realises there is a huge gulf between EDS football and the Premier and even MP alluded do it in his conference saying that is is easier for clubs like Southampton to take a chance on young players as they are not expected to be challenging for titles cups and CL

If we were to play a team full of young players tomorrow what we are likely to learn really. Nothing. It would probably show what we already know that these players aren't ready for this level of football but how can we judge in a meaningless one off game at the end of the season. There may be 1 or 2 individuals who could make the step up but City are trying to create a system for many to develop

I would much rather that these players start playing against men teams in pre-season and those who are ready for 1st team football get loaned out and the rest continue to develop under PV. When we are winning the EDS league with players who look like they physically cope with the demands of first team football then is the time for the clamour for yourh to be given a chance to be heard....that time is not now

I'm no cynic said:
LadislavMplmx said:
Damocles said:
You tried this argument 3 times now and it was stupid the last 2 times aswell
not as stupid as wanting kids who aren't good enough in the team for the sake of it...are you sorry we ever got took over?
You just don't get it, do you?
what i do get is we had all this bollocks with Gudietti...fuck me there was a thread that went on for about a year about him&why he should start,he wasn't any fuckin good but everyone in the thread wanted him in the team cos he came through the acadamy...he's now found his level

I'm no cynic said:
LadislavMplmx said:
Damocles said:
You tried this argument 3 times now and it was stupid the last 2 times aswell
not as stupid as wanting kids who aren't good enough in the team for the sake of it...are you sorry we ever got took over?

No he doesn't. Hes in an argument that he doesn't understand which is why when he talks about Flood and Croft he gets mocked. He doesn't know they are stupid comments

Let's NOT play any Academy players tomorrow because it would be unfair to the players who have been sitting on the sidelines for the season and would give us, the fans, the chance to say goodbye to a few who may (or may not) be with us next season.

The youngsters can have their chance next season but let's be fair to the senior players please.

Yeah we should prioritise saying bye to Jovetic over the long term development of the club.

Damocles said:
Yeah we should prioritise saying bye to Jovetic over the long term development of the club.

One match or half a match or ten minutes in a match is not really going to affect the long term development of the club now is it Damocles.

(and if you are trying to Clarkie me then I hold my hands up.)

Damocles said:
I'm no cynic said:
LadislavMplmx said:

No he doesn't. Hes in an argument that he doesn't understand which is why when he talks about Flood and Croft he gets mocked. He doesn't know they are stupid comments
the only "argument" you ever put forward is telling people their stupid when you don't agree with them........

LadislavMplmx said:
I'm no cynic said:
LadislavMplmx said:
that it?
You have to think of the BIG PICTURE. The majority of people on here, me being one, are not calling for some kind of revolution by dropping half the team in favour of a load of untried youth. What we are calling for is a clear message to the academy AS A WHOLE and at this stage that would mean BENCH DUTIES for just one or two of our more promising kids with the possibility of actually getting a few minutes late on in the game if things are going well (as they should do if we start out with our strongest starting eleven). This would give the strong message to our younger players that they MAY have a future at this club, but by ignoring them for a game like this which will likely be played out as a glorified friendly by our regular players then we will run the risk of most of them doing a Sturridge and then quitting the club for a future elsewhere. It's funny that other clubs can find young players of PL standard but we can't despite all the money we have to throw at the project and headed by Patrick Vieira who is being hailed by some as a managerial star of the future. There's no great revolution and no great risk in anything I have just written because it's all about the MESSAGE that will have to be adhered to by squad rules anyway.

Eccles Blue said:
Damocles said:

One match or half a match or ten minutes in a match is not really going to affect the long term development of the club now is it Damocles.

(and if you are trying to Clarkie me then I hold my hands up.)

I think it will make a big difference. Every academy player will get a lift by seeing one or two of their own get onto the pitch. That can only benefit us going forward. It wouldn't surprise me if players currently at the club, or those thinking of joining the club have real doubts about our commitment to youth. Maybe some might look elsewhere unless things change, I wouldn't blame them if we can't even give them a go in the cups or in games like this one which won't affect our final position.

chesterguy said:
I do wonder how many of those who are shouting for youth players to play against Southampton have actually seen the players play in the flesh. I have seen a few of the games live and especially in the Porto game it was clear that the boys are not yet ready to step up and play in a Premier league game

Maybe half a dozen live and another half dozen on TV/streams. Personally I think we have quite a few that are ready to take that next step up. We've got an amazing squad of players, adding a couple of youth doesn't make it a bad one.

I wonder how many are wanting the young players to play so that they can counter the arguments with other supporters about not playing youth rather than the considering the development of the players themselves

Don't give a toss what other supporters say. When (if) we start playing kids they'll find something else to slag us off about.

It is clear from comments made by PV that he realises there is a huge gulf between EDS football and the Premier and even MP alluded do it in his conference saying that is is easier for clubs like Southampton to take a chance on young players as they are not expected to be challenging for titles cups and CL

This is why today is an ideal time. No pressure to challenge for titles, cups or CL.

If we were to play a team full of young players tomorrow what we are likely to learn really. Nothing. It would probably show what we already know that these players aren't ready for this level of football but how can we judge in a meaningless one off game at the end of the season. There may be 1 or 2 individuals who could make the step up but City are trying to create a system for many to develop

I think that's a mistake we've made in the past, playing a B team in cups rather than play the top players with one or two kids in.

I would much rather that these players start playing against men teams in pre-season and those who are ready for 1st team football get loaned out and the rest continue to develop under PV. When we are winning the EDS league with players who look like they physically cope with the demands of first team football then is the time for the clamour for yourh to be given a chance to be heard....that time is not now

Winning the U21 league isn't a measure of development for our club. We don't play senior players, and often play underage/U18 players. Playing in pre season is good for the kids, but doesn't come close to the experience they would gain from playing an actual league match. The intensity of a pre-season game would be less than they get at underage level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.