Player thread: Aleksandar Kolarov (2014/15)

Re: Aleks Kolarov - take a bow

cleavers said:
peter.evans said:
Kolarov wasn't the only one who had a shit game yesterday the biggest problem was Mangala and Fernando.
Correct, but maybe the covering for Kolarov was their issue ? Commenting on a performance has nothing to do with "booboy" status, he was just dogshit yesterday, and people have a right to say so.

He didn't look fit (my missus, who's not exactly a regular, made that comment without any prompting from me after about 15 minutes), he should have been taken off at half time, he offered nothing good defensively, or going forward. Mangala spent most of the game covering two positions, and he was far from his best as a result, while Fernando started OK, but got steadily worse as our left side got done, they even started hitting long balls to that side it was so obvious.
I think it does because you should not single out individual players. We play as a team and sometimes the opposition actually beats us or takes a point. I'm sure Kolarov is a well respected member of the squad by the players if not some of our fans who are basically thick as pig shit. However you do make some fair points.

So it's generally written in stone that a fullback who puts in a few good crosses like Kolarov did v Palace, but almost cost us 3 goals with awful defensive play, like Kolarov did v Palace, has had a good game then ?

Why even bother playing a defender there at all then ? Just pick another winger.

Neville Kneville said:
So it's generally written in stone that a fullback who puts in a few good crosses like Kolarov did v Palace, but almost cost us 3 goals with awful defensive play, like Kolarov did v Palace, has had a good game then ?

Why even bother playing a defender there at all then ? Just pick another winger.

What's this nearly cost us 3 goals. So he didn't cost us one goal and nor did he yesterday. I agree Kolarov's performamce was very poor yesterday and nearly as bad as the support from the "fans".

If he moved on in January - I could take it or leave it - but Aleks has played well for us over the last 18 months - up until Sunday!

Tim of the Oak said:
Neville Kneville said:

What's this nearly cost us 3 goals. So he didn't cost us one goal and nor did he yesterday. I agree Kolarov's performamce was very poor yesterday and nearly as bad as the support from the "fans".

If he moved on in January - I could take it or leave it - but Aleks has played well for us over the last 18 months - up until Sunday!

Not as an out and out full back he aint !!!

oakiecokie said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Neville Kneville said:

Not as an out and out full back he aint !!!

Aleks has played the role Pellers has wanted him to - taking account of the oppositions strengths and weaknesses. As you know, we have played with attacking fullbacks and Aleks has done that job.

It didn't work out on Sunday but let's not rewrite the history of the last 18 months and bore each other trying to pick out good and bad games! The general consensus is that Aleks outplayed Clichy last season and had quite well in most games this season.

Given Clichy's recent run of good form he is out better option at the moment

Tim of the Oak said:
Neville Kneville said:

Three of Palace's best moments in the game, were due to shite play by Kolarov, twice heading the ball back into the danger area & once, walking slowly out, playing their striker onside. That's directly from memory, without even looking at a recording & analysing the rest of his game. Seeing as he is usually missing at some point, even on his best days, I'm pretty confident there will be more.

I'm not advocating dumping him at this point, but I feel he has rarely been a good fullback for any prolonged period, apart from a spell last season.

I think he has helped cost us more games than he has helped win us, during his City career. And I'd say by some distance.
As for having a good season, didn't he get away with a nailed on red card for clattering into some crappy no mark winger, before his injury ?

Good option going forward and he's a good guy who knows the premeir league and can provide a good option for cup games throughout the season and pace. And sometimes a freekick or two

citymad said:
keemcfc said:
He's a very good left back, and there's not many of them about. He had a bad game today, average in the first half and below par in the second, but he's still a very handy player.

I think people overlook how difficult it is to rotate fullbacks; there are many examples of fullback rotation making excellent fullbacks look poor. Just look at how Zaba performed when micah was our regular, nowhere near the level of his last few years. Or how micah then performed when Zaba overtook him as our regular rb, he was a shadow of the player he was under Hughes and mancini. Or more recently, early this season when clichy came in after Kolarov being the usual starter for the past season, he was a donkey too. And Sagna doesn't look the player he was at le arse whenever he comes in to give Zaba a break.

My point is our fullbacks look good when they're more consistently playing, a full back coming back in after a period of being 'backup' or injured often tends to lead to a period of below par performances, then, once they've settled again they prove their class once more. We've seen that countless times over the years as mentioned above.

So whilst I'm sure Kolarov will 'come good' again sooner rather than later, I admit we could do with an upgrade as there are probably a few better left backs out there than him and he's only getting older, but there are more pressing requirements imo like a cm, striker and winger, as well as a centre half if demi leaves. We seem to be assessing our options whatever the case with the links to kurzawa, although Ive not seen much of him at all so I'm not sure if he would be one for the future or could do a job now, but in any case, for the mean time Kolarov possess everything we need in a wing back imo.

Some very good points there. It wasn't too long ago we were all surprised how well Kolarov was playing at the time. Today though he was shocking. Can't wait to see Clichy back for Sunderland.
He was bad I'll give you that, but he's nowhere near the Danny mills that some people on here are making him out to be.

And I appologise for the wording of my earlier post, I'd had a few whiskeys but my points still stand ;) he's a very handy left back, by no means ideal, but he's a great weapon to have in our arsenal and he doesn't deserve the stick he gets.

I'm not advocating dumping him at this point, but I feel he has rarely been a good fullback for any prolonged period, apart from a spell last season.

I think he has helped cost us more games than he has helped win us, during his City career. And I'd say by some distance.
I'm
As for having a good season, didn't he get away with a nailed on red card for clattering into some crappy no mark winger, before his injury ?[/quote]

You may have been too busy with your sex offence case to notice Aleks' better games lol!!

Neville Kneville said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Neville Kneville said:

Three of Palace's best moments in the game, were due to shite play by Kolarov, twice heading the ball back into the danger area & once, walking slowly out, playing their striker onside. That's directly from memory, without even looking at a recording & analysing the rest of his game. Seeing as he is usually missing at some point, even on his best days, I'm pretty confident there will be more.

As for having a good season, didn't he get away with a nailed on red card for clattering into some crappy no mark winger, before his injury ?

This is where things get really silly - he has cost us more games than he has helped us win. The guys has probably only played in ten defeats in his time here in around 100 games and he may have been the worst player in 2 or 3 of those. In that time he has scored important goals and set up a large number of goals as well as had some great games. So coming on here with such extreme arguments that have absolutely zero basis in fact just totally undermines the argument and leaves the case with zero credibility.

Aleks is a good premier league full back in defensive terms he is I would say mid premier league standard in attacking terms he is one of the best in Europe and has I think as good a cross and left foot as anyone in the prem. He is not best played in some games as at times we need strong defensive play above all else at other times he is a potent weapon. Therefore as one of two left backs he is a fantastic player to have in the squad and he has played a part in the most successful City side ever both on and off the pitch.

The internet warriors on here who desparately try to out do each other in how deep their vitriol can be against the chosen victims (Navas, Dzeko, De Michelis - though he is now off the list, Kolarov, Fernando or whoever it is) are just trying to show how hard they are by just how extreme they can be in slagging off their chosen victim.

I have read how Kolarov has put in the worst full back display they have ever seen, or edin the laziest display ever, or how Navas has the worst crosses in the history of the game etc etc - all show either a complete and utter lack of knowledge of the game or just tabloid sensationalism as they have a how dramatically can you slag off a City player competition.

Aleks was not fit, he clearly should not have played (or he should have been subbed) and he did not have a great game, I have seen every one of our current team have shit days and everyone play when they shouldn't it stood out a mile. He was also far from alone in not having a great game. That is the be all and end all, re-writing history, over exaggeration, drama etc really isn't necessary.

The irony is only 4 - 6 weeks ago Clichy was a championship player being slagged off on here as not good enough and now he's the messiah - fickle bunch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.