Player thread: Aleksandar Kolarov (2014/15)

Re: Aleks Kolarov - take a bow

He just had a bad game that's all,which always seems to get highlighted with certain players and ignored with other certain players for some reason !

For me it was quite obvious we needed to stiffen up on our left and I think the first substitution we made worsened the situation.

We're 2-0 up, Silva was starting to fade and Kolorov was leaving us exposed down the left everytime he ventured forward meaning Mangala was constantly out of position trying to cover for him and Fernando was out of position covering for Mangala. What we should have done is rested Silva, brought Jimmy out left when Jovetic came on and pushed Nasri inside.

At the very least we should have taken Silva/Nasri off brought Clichy on and pushed Kolorov further forward where he couldn't cause as much damage to our defence as he was doing. Kolorov needed protecting from his shit passing, lack of stamina and fitness and as one previous poster said everyone was commenting on it, so if we could all see it why couldn't the coaching staff?

I have a suspicion that because we were at home, on a 9 match unbeaten run and had scored 3 in our 2 previous matches that we were a little guilty of underestimating Burnley and paid the price. The complacency warning signs were there from the 2nd half away to WBA.

Thenumber1blue said:
He just had a bad game that's all,which always seems to get highlighted with certain players and ignored with other certain players for some reason !

You're probably right but it doesn't stop anyone highlighting that when he has a bad game it's always when he can't get forward?

It's nothing against the player, it's more about the opposition doing their homework on him, i would do the same if i was an opposing manager because when he does get forward he's a threat.

Dribble said:
For me it was quite obvious we needed to stiffen up on our left and I think the first substitution we made worsened the situation.

We're 2-0 up, Silva was starting to fade and Kolorov was leaving us exposed down the left everytime he ventured forward meaning Mangala was constantly out of position trying to cover for him and Fernando was out of position covering for Mangala. What we should have done is rested Silva, brought Jimmy out left when Jovetic came on and pushed Nasri inside.

At the very least we should have taken Silva/Nasri off brought Clichy on and pushed Kolorov further forward where he couldn't cause as much damage to our defence as he was doing. Kolorov needed protecting from his shit passing, lack of stamina and fitness and as one previous poster said everyone was commenting on it, so if we could all see it why couldn't the coaching staff?

I have a suspicion that because we were at home, on a 9 match unbeaten run and had scored 3 in our 2 previous matches that we were a little guilty of underestimating Burnley and paid the price. The complacency warning signs were there from the 2nd half away to WBA.

Agree with what you said here. Alex was very poor and that had a knock-on.

Silva was tired at the end of the first half. A change should have been made then. We all, including the fans, thought the game was won but complacency was evident.

We need to draw a line and start again.

Tim of the Oak said:
I got on the coach home and still had a guy complaining about Kolarov - just as the same guy had been doing in the bar before kick off.

He was right though. Kolarov had a stinker and most seem to agree. Maybe the pre match ciders affected your eyesight ;-)

I'd always pick Clichy ahead of him just as I'd always play Zaba ahead of Sagna for league games. Back up full backs should be there in case of injury/suspension and cup games, not for rotating each week.

Tim, you got to narrow it down a bit. Everybody was moaning about Kolarov. Me included but as you know my personal boo boy is Navas!!

EalingBlue2 said:
The trouble is if a player isn't 100% right in fitness, confidence and mentality then they will never look like they are giving 100% anyway. Look at Dzeko in ROme he was giving about 150%, he gave everything, he was blowing crazily and his injury a few days later was almost certainly as a result. but here on Bluemoon and on Twitter the internet warriors were out hammering him all game for his lazy performance and not trying - now half a brain cell would have made it quite obvious this was not the case but it didn't help.

Kolarov is not match fit, he is not confident both as a result of injury and I think yesterday he couldn't play as he wanted to and he let some of the fans get on his nerves which meant he wasn't mentally 100% either. he should have been subbed. Some of our fans aren't happy unless they are mercilessly slating off a player and frankly I would rather they are doing this internet bullying than treating people in their real lives like this. It is always the case that some people only feel better about themselves with a scape goat - human nature unfortunately.

I think he started giving 100% but it was probably 100% of 75% and he did look rattled later and I think he should have been subbed. Good player a key part of our squad - 30 prem games in a title winning side last year. A bit of encouragement and support might have actually helped him!

Interesting post

Firstly, if people were on his case in the lower tier from the off on Sunday then that's out of order, verbally getting on anyone's back in the stadium at close quarters isn't helping anyone and I'd love to have someone who does come on here and explain why

Giving 100% in matches. What does that really mean? Running around a lot? Putting in hard tackles? Waving your arms around like Jamie pollock? To me it means having your mind fully concentrated on the game and playing with purpose (which for a defender is challenging the opposition). I thought kolarovs mind wasn't on the game with the amount of time he was caught out of position and I didn't think he played with any purpose, missing countless tackles and being caught out by players that were hungrier than him.

I take a point about his fitness levels but I thought he was sloppy first half too but being 2-0 up it didn't really matter and Burnley weren't really challenging him too often. He fell to bits second half and it affected mangala and fernando to point that point that fernando fell to bits too and mangala was well on the way. If he wasn't fully fit and was struggling we should have whipped him off after 70 minutes for clichy so questionable management there.

In terms of him being a scapegoat, I personally think his performance played a major part in our second half collapse. If people want to point that out and express it how they like on this message board then that's why it's here. Twitters a different animal. I agree if he was out of gas though the manager should have brought him off.

Boo boys. I expect a left back to be able to defend and concentrate. Kolarovs ability to do both is questionable. He can put in a good cross and kick it hard but when we're under pressure he's not good enough. Clichy is first choice and he should be a reserve. That's my opinion. Is he my boo boy as a result?

He had a poor game chaps, that's the be all and end all of it.

Lets move on now to the Wearsiders coming into town, Pellers will pick whom he believes is best suited and most fit for the game. If its Clichy great, if its Kolarov then that's also great, they are both Blues, both good players and both double title winners to boot, both of whom who deserve our support.

Being frustrated with our players when they do things is fine (Slippers and Whitey - both of whom I loved btw - to mention just 2 players who have had me pulling my hair out over the years), but booing a Blue (Even Gary Mason when he just simply gave up on that ball in a couldn't be arsed kinda way away at Luton!!) is just not right and really sticks in my craw.

KnaresboroughBlue said:
Tim of the Oak said:
I got on the coach home and still had a guy complaining about Kolarov - just as the same guy had been doing in the bar before kick off.

He was right though. Kolarov had a stinker and most seem to agree. Maybe the pre match ciders affected your eyesight ;-)

I'd always pick Clichy ahead of him just as I'd always play Zaba ahead of Sagna for league games. Back up full backs should be there in case of injury/suspension and cup games, not for rotating each week.

Haha. If you had read through the thread you will have seen that I agree Kolarov should have been subbed and Clichy preferred as first choice.

Don't go down that slippery slope of obsessing over one players performances. There are enough loons out there already. Enjoy the game as I'm sure you usually do.

How many players were up to scratch against Burnley? Maybe Silva, Navas, Fernandinho, Zaba and possibly Demi. Most of the team were out of sorts!

Up the Harrogate Blues and see you on Thursday!

harrogateblue said:
Tim, you got to narrow it down a bit. Everybody was moaning about Kolarov. Me included but as you know my personal boo boy is Navas!!

I have given a clue in my previous post. I thought you were used to watching that Scottish pub league so you would have got over the Burnley performamce by now. Kolarov's was one of six or seven poor performances on the day!

That said it was no worse than Vinny's at Anfield in the title run or Clichy's versus Moscow at home!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.