Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Just a reminder of the sort of treatment certain sectors of our press like to give our defenders. Savic copped an awful lot as well.

Bg0ZFjZCIAA64Qe.jpg

ell said:
Good game yesterday, and took one for the team with the second booking. I would have done exactly the same.

He played well yesterday and has massive potential. He made some good decisions to clear the ball even though Hart would have got there, but much prefer defenders to think safety first. Made the right call for the second yellow, a tackle had to be made and he almost got away with it.

willy eckerslike said:
ell said:
Good game yesterday, and took one for the team with the second booking. I would have done exactly the same.

He played well yesterday and has massive potential. He made some good decisions to clear the ball even though Hart would have got there, but much prefer defenders to think safety first. Made the right call for the second yellow, a tackle had to be made and he almost got away with it.

I don't think a tackle had to be made, because Vinnie was goal side of Long, Long was moving away from goal and i think Mangala is quick enough to have got between Long and the goal, but that is my judgement. Mangala was at worst guilty of an error of judgement. At 23 it isn't his first and it won't be his last. It certainly gives no justification to some malevolent hack from the Mail to argue that his transfer fee was fraudulent and that his performance merited 1/10. I didn't think he was brilliant yesterday, but he was a very capable member of a back four which shut out an attack which had scored 17 PL goals before yesterday! But then, inflicting Bayern's first competitive defeat on them actually showed how poor City were! He certainly has the required qualities: he's fast, strong, can move the ball out of defence and is powerful in the air. I don't think we bought him primarily for what he can do now, but for what he'll be like two years down the line. and I think he'll be well worth it. The other lad we could have had - Benatia - sometimes gets caught out! Where we really missed out was not getting Smalling or Jones!

I just don't get the media jumping on his back for this one

He got sent off, we won 3-0, it had no impact on the game

There might have been a narrative had his sending off resulted in us drawing or losing the game, but we actually improved as the game went on

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
willy eckerslike said:
ell said:

I don't think a tackle had to be made, because Vinnie was goal side of Long, Long was moving away from goal and i think Mangala is quick enough to have got between Long and the goal, but that is my judgement. Mangala was at worst guilty of an error of judgement. At 23 it isn't his first and it won't be his last. It certainly gives no justification to some malevolent hack from the Mail to argue that his transfer fee was fraudulent and that his performance merited 1/10. I didn't think he was brilliant yesterday, but he was a very capable member of a back four which shut out an attack which had scored 17 PL goals before yesterday! But then, inflicting Bayern's first competitive defeat on them actually showed how poor City were! He certainly has the required qualities: he's fast, strong, can move the ball out of defence and is powerful in the air. I don't think we bought him primarily for what he can do now, but for what he'll be like two years down the line. and I think he'll be well worth it. The other lad we could have had - Benatia - sometimes gets caught out! Where we really missed out was not getting Smalling or Jones!

I thought Long would have run toward his right and Kompany would not be able to intercept before the ball shot along the ground past Hart - in his usual style. Just my impression from the moment of Long's run. In that case it would be a good foul!

Can someone tell me the difference between what Mangala did to Long, and what Kompany/Zabaleta did to Tadic and Pelle?

In my opinion Jones was looking to send someone off all the way through the second half and having booked Mangala early it was always going to be one mis timed tackle or shoulder charge that meant it would be him

Incompetent refereeing as opposed to bad play, and for Ashton to give him a 1/10 was laughable!

SI's Bald Head said:
Can someone tell me the difference between what Mangala did to Long, and what Kompany/Zabaleta did to Tadic and Pelle?

In my opinion Jones was looking to send someone off all the way through the second half and having booked Mangala early it was always going to be one mis timed tackle or shoulder charge that meant it would be him

Incompetent refereeing as opposed to bad play, and for Ashton to give him a 1/10 was laughable!
Ashton is laughable - and you can underline that

George Hannah said:
SI's Bald Head said:

Ashton is laughable - and you can underline that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.