Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

john@staustell said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
willy eckerslike said:
He played well yesterday and has massive potential. He made some good decisions to clear the ball even though Hart would have got there, but much prefer defenders to think safety first. Made the right call for the second yellow, a tackle had to be made and he almost got away with it.

I don't think a tackle had to be made, because Vinnie was goal side of Long, Long was moving away from goal and i think Mangala is quick enough to have got between Long and the goal, but that is my judgement. Mangala was at worst guilty of an error of judgement. At 23 it isn't his first and it won't be his last. It certainly gives no justification to some malevolent hack from the Mail to argue that his transfer fee was fraudulent and that his performance merited 1/10. I didn't think he was brilliant yesterday, but he was a very capable member of a back four which shut out an attack which had scored 17 PL goals before yesterday! But then, inflicting Bayern's first competitive defeat on them actually showed how poor City were! He certainly has the required qualities: he's fast, strong, can move the ball out of defence and is powerful in the air. I don't think we bought him primarily for what he can do now, but for what he'll be like two years down the line. and I think he'll be well worth it. The other lad we could have had - Benatia - sometimes gets caught out! Where we really missed out was not getting Smalling or Jones!

I thought Long would have run toward his right and Kompany would not be able to intercept before the ball shot along the ground past Hart - in his usual style. Just my impression from the moment of Long's run. In that case it would be a good foul!

That was my take on it.

If we're going to be critical of him, I thought his first card was more reckless. There was no great danger then. Although it did seem that we were determined not to be out fought by them, as demonstrated when Zabaleta hurled their bloke into the camera.

It seems to me that there is an obvious attempt by "the media" to harm Manchester City by talking Mangala into being a bad player and a bad buy. IMHO we should not fall for it. I think the guy is a absolute physical beast, his potential is almost unlimited. All he needs is some more experience. I say let's support him all we can, and that way tell "the media" to f..k off.

At the end, whose judgement do you trust? Highly paid professional football people who recommended the lad, a very highly paid manager who plays him, or hacks who scrounge a living writing shit about something they don't understand with a view to getting clicks from the City-haters?

cibaman said:
john@staustell said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I don't think a tackle had to be made, because Vinnie was goal side of Long, Long was moving away from goal and i think Mangala is quick enough to have got between Long and the goal, but that is my judgement. Mangala was at worst guilty of an error of judgement. At 23 it isn't his first and it won't be his last. It certainly gives no justification to some malevolent hack from the Mail to argue that his transfer fee was fraudulent and that his performance merited 1/10. I didn't think he was brilliant yesterday, but he was a very capable member of a back four which shut out an attack which had scored 17 PL goals before yesterday! But then, inflicting Bayern's first competitive defeat on them actually showed how poor City were! He certainly has the required qualities: he's fast, strong, can move the ball out of defence and is powerful in the air. I don't think we bought him primarily for what he can do now, but for what he'll be like two years down the line. and I think he'll be well worth it. The other lad we could have had - Benatia - sometimes gets caught out! Where we really missed out was not getting Smalling or Jones!

I thought Long would have run toward his right and Kompany would not be able to intercept before the ball shot along the ground past Hart - in his usual style. Just my impression from the moment of Long's run. In that case it would be a good foul!

That was my take on it.

If we're going to be critical of him, I thought his first card was more reckless. There was no great danger then. Although it did seem that we were determined not to be out fought by them, as demonstrated when Zabaleta hurled their bloke into the camera.

Only my opinion, was at the game yesterday, and have watched it a few times on Sky / MOTD since, first challenge was reckless, ill timed, and obvious yellow card, second after Toure was caught in possession, i felt he had to go for it, and had the speed to get there, i honestly thought, and still do, that he got there same time as Long, and was simply stronger, didn't think at the time (and still don't think), challenge was even a foul, let alone a second yellow!

trublue55 said:
cibaman said:
john@staustell said:

That was my take on it.

Only my opinion, was at the game yesterday, and have watched it a few times on Sky / MOTD since, first challenge was reckless, ill timed, and obvious yellow card, second after Toure was caught in possession, i felt he had to go for it, and had the speed to get there, i honestly thought, and still do, that he got there same time as Long, and was simply stronger, didn't think at the time (and still don't think), challenge was even a foul, let alone a second yellow!

I thought he was a bit slow to react to the danger and Long stole a yard on him which led to the situation. It was harsh but not a total travesty like the penalty decision. I don't think Pellegrini had any complaints about it and called it a foul.

Aston's article in the Mail, particularly the headline is an absolute disgrace.

I've a fairly thick skin when it comes to whats written about us but feel quite strongly that there should repercussions for Ashton and/or the Mail for the tone and content of this article.

Totally agree with what has been said about ashton. He shouldn't be allowed to get away with the shite he has written. Would be really disappointed if no repurcussions. I know one thing - fergie would never have let him get away with that.

Onto mangala as a player - I saw enough in the Chelsea game to know we have got ourselves some real potential. He has had a couple of poorer games but I genuinely thought he was ok against bayern and had a really good game v Soton. His passing into feet of attackers was good to see, and very comfortable using right foot too.

I've seen enough from him to make me believe we have real diamond in the rough, he has all the attributes needed and once he becomes a mainstay in our back 4 and adapts to th PL we will see his true worth.
next season is when he will really shine.

Going to be a fantastic player for us for years to come will this lad - Has it all for a centre half and can play also - Power, pace, strength - You name it - he has it.

Will be Kompany's replacement as Skipper in time too. The days we buy bad players are a long gone - Get behind the lad instead of slagging him off as you will be eating your words next season !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.