Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Good to see the majority recognise how good he can become, can't wait till the Journo's start doing a 360 on him.

lasereyes said:
Decision making needs work, but it's very very difficult to replicate the power and presence that he has. He will continue to have his rash moments, and it will cost us the odd game. But I think his ledger will be more than positive over time and those darting runs from defence will set up some major counterattacking opportunities. We are lucky to have MDM who is not only a brilliant guy to have on the bench, but also a great role model for Mangala (as of course is Kompany)

And MDM appers to be a true professional when out of the team-never moans- and his performance level appears to be high as soon as he is re-selected,or called upon as sub.

True professionals are a god send for any squad looking to win trophies.
Well played Martin.

Should have at least tried to put a leg in front of the Southampton player instead of barging in straight. But it was a good foul, and took one for the team when Toure was the one at fault.

He needs to put in more effort though. A 32m defender should be more imposing and intimidating.

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
willy eckerslike said:
ell said:
Good game yesterday, and took one for the team with the second booking. I would have done exactly the same.

He played well yesterday and has massive potential. He made some good decisions to clear the ball even though Hart would have got there, but much prefer defenders to think safety first. Made the right call for the second yellow, a tackle had to be made and he almost got away with it.

I don't think a tackle had to be made, because Vinnie was goal side of Long, Long was moving away from goal and i think Mangala is quick enough to have got between Long and the goal, but that is my judgement. Mangala was at worst guilty of an error of judgement. At 23 it isn't his first and it won't be his last. It certainly gives no justification to some malevolent hack from the Mail to argue that his transfer fee was fraudulent and that his performance merited 1/10. I didn't think he was brilliant yesterday, but he was a very capable member of a back four which shut out an attack which had scored 17 PL goals before yesterday! But then, inflicting Bayern's first competitive defeat on them actually showed how poor City were! He certainly has the required qualities: he's fast, strong, can move the ball out of defence and is powerful in the air. I don't think we bought him primarily for what he can do now, but for what he'll be like two years down the line. and I think he'll be well worth it. The other lad we could have had - Benatia - sometimes gets caught out! Where we really missed out was not getting Smalling or Jones!

I haven't looked at it much since Sunday, but I recall by going to the right, Long briefly showed the ball to Mangala and he took a split-second 50-50 decision (or maybe 40-60) to go for the ball. The sort of tackle Kompany makes from time to time and singles him out as a class act. If he'd pulled it off he would have been lauded for it. His other option was to try cutting in between Long and Kompany, but he had a yard to make up and could have lost more ground by changing direction. IMHO at 1-0 with 15mins to go, he made the right call. If 30mins to go I'd say maybe not, so perhaps this demonstrates his ability to have the intelligence to read the game situation.

How a professional football observer can rate him as 1/10 is beyond me.

I do think that he will become a good buy but at the moment that looks a long time away. He reminds me of a fit Micah Richards and look what happened to him.

FantasyIreland said:
IcriedwhenTueartleft said:
if this guy had signed for Utd and had scored an own goal, conceded a penalty and been sent off in his first half dozen league games we'd be pissing ourselves laughing

And if he had kept Costa quiet,played superbly against the European Champs and was instrumental in keeping a clean sheet against the second placed team in the league.....while playing for Yoonited......we'd be very envious.

The lad is a fantastic signing.
People cant see the mountain for the acorn in front of it fella..

I agree with you 100%

You can't buy pace and power like he has ooh wait you can and it costs a lot !

I did think he needed to play today as he needs game time to improve but I'm quite concerned about him to be honest.

Mats Hummels is just one year older and looks on a whole other level to Mangala.

Was lucky not to get sent off again today. And ran into midfield from the back twice and lost the ball. Needs far more composure and intelligence in his game.

But he may very well click in the team and get himself right after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.