Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Gonna reserve judgement to the end of season think he's struggling to adjust to the prem at the moment also how openwe play is lleaving him really exposed even vinny and zab have struggled this season he's got all the attributes to be a top center half and 2 great players to learn from!

During a transfer window where expenditure was limited, the idea to spend crazy money on an unproven central defender(?) seems all the more ludicrous.

He makes carlton palmer look cultured.

menorcansunshine said:
During a transfer window where expenditure was limited, the idea to spend crazy money on an unproven central defender(?) seems all the more ludicrous.

Why that comparison

menorcansunshine said:

Lol...good old Carlton,forgot about him.

MeatnSpudsMCFC said:
K.Toure, Lescott, Nastastic, Mangala, Demichelis...

Seems to be a pattern emerging on that left hand side. I think Vinnie should count himself lucky that he has Zabaleta on his side. Kolarov/Clichy are a problem... and left back has been a major one that has been ignored since the Hughes era. Neither were any good defensively. Barry's role was critical and often went unnoticed.

There was always questions raised over how he got in our starting 11 so often. Mancini knew fully well that defensively on that left hand side, it was vulnerable. Barrys role was simple, just sit. Garcia was then brought into the fold in hope he could replicate what Barry did but just offer that bit more, instead, he was worse. Then Fernandinho came in, a great player no doubt as proved in some elements last season, but not the same holding midfielder that Barry was and what he offered was good but not what we were after. We had turned into a side where we went out to severely outscore the opposition. We can't do that now. What Barry did looks more obvious now than it did when he was here.

It was the right time to go for him, he was starting to age and errors were creeping in, especially in the CL which was where we desire to succeed. But he was never replaced. We were fortunate Negredo and Aguero were firing on all cylinders last season, because defensively we haven't been up for it in some time. Just like dominos, when one goes, the rest also fall. And the centre half on that left hand side has been carrying the left back ever since Barry left the club.

Great analysis that. Your could be right there. Barry, Negredo and Sergio have been papering over the cracks on our weak left side for a long time. I hope someone important at the club is thinking along these same lines and that we'll be doing some business to rectify it ASAP. Personally I'd love someone like a Moreno or we could go for a temporary deal to bring Ashley Cole back to England.

mansour's tow ropes said:
IWasHere said:
KippaxCitizen said:
I thought Kompany was our best player in his first season with us.

Not saying he was shit mate but look at the difference between what he was like when we first got him compared to what he is like now.

Sadly I think its easier to spend a few hours lifting heaving things than it is to learn how to defend and become comfortable with a ball at your feet.
Kompany worked on a lot more than just his physicality. The transition into the english game suited his style and he matured fantastically becoming one of the top defenders in the world right now.

KippaxCitizen said:
kp789 said:
tiggsywiggsywoo said:
Why thank you. And your views are?
That you are judging a young player on handful of games, in a different club, country, culture, League and playing style. There is far more to his game. He has barely stepped through the door and people are already on his back. There is no chance that we would have paid the kind of money that we did, if he did not have some ability, which he does. You are entitled to your opinion, but I urge that you give him time. Or at least, could you back up your criticism rather than just saying that he is crap?
That's what Pellegrini did with Nastasić, basically gave up on a potential elite centre half on three poor games. Which stinks!

By the way Mangala is 24, he's not that young, it's not like he's 19 or owt.
I do not disagree that Nastasic can and hopefully still will be a top top defender. I am assuming he is still getting his match sharpness back or whatever, but he deserves to slot back into the team and show his ability.

Unfortunately for Nastasic (suppose it is a nice head ache for the manager), we now have Kompany who is always first name on the team sheet, the reliable MDM, a young and talented (perhaps raw) Mangala with a big price tag (Pellegrini and the club feel as if they must justify the price tag by playing him a lot, I think he should be rotated and given time to settle in rather than a complete baptism of fire) Finally with have another fantastic prospect in Nastasic. There are only 2 centre back spots in our team and all players have a good argument to fill both slots. I suppose that perhaps with the current lack of form and injuries that we have in the left back position, we should consider allowing Nasty or Mangala a chance on that side. I think Mangala would thrive there as he is quick, strong and technically superb, comfortable on the ball.

Marvin said:
kp789 said:
tiggsywiggsywoo said:
Why thank you. And your views are?
That you are judging a young player on handful of games, in a different club, country, culture, League and playing style. There is far more to his game. He has barely stepped through the door and people are already on his back. There is no chance that we would have paid the kind of money that we did, if he did not have some ability, which he does. You are entitled to your opinion, but I urge that you give him time. Or at least, could you back up your criticism rather than just saying that he is crap?
Has to start doing the simple defensive things well, but those long passes to Aguero were top quality. Not many defenders have got that in their locker.
I would look at it as a positive rather than a negative, he needs time to settle. How many defenders, let alone centre halves can you name that are technically as good as Mangala? Its almost like having an incredibly deep play maker at times. I think he could be a fantastic libero if he can show his defence ability consistently (which I believe he will) in addition to his superb technical side of the game.

IMO this time next year we will be referring to him as the best defender in the PL you heard it here first.

Dzeko is and always will be the new Samaras I was right on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.